Cymru Alliance
31 March 2007
Glantraeth 1 Bala Town 4
Report by Jeff Scott

Glantraeth slipped to a third consecutive defeat in a row at the hands of Promotion hopefuls Bala Town at their Bodorgan base in a game that was spoiled by a strong wind that saw Glantraeth on the defence for most of the first period. Bala certainly took advantage of the wind behind them to put Glantraeth under tremendous pressure. The visitors took the lead as early as the first minute and never looked back. The Bodorgan boys who although they were missing Kevin Roberts and Paul Rowlands did not seem to have much punch and it was well into the second half before they created a shot on target. Credit though for some tireless defending.

The first goal of the match for Bala came after Warren Gibbs and Gareth Owen were completely deceived by the bounce of the ball as it bounced over both of the central defenders and fell nicely for Neil Davies to execute a good finish although Dave Ball got fingertips to the shot. Glantraeth were then put under some tremendous pressure from the current league leaders as they took advantage of the strong wind behind them. They forced a series of corners as Glan clung on, it took the visitors though until the 38Th minute until they added to their tally. Glantraeth's Nigel Barry took a free keeper that keeper Alan Tyrell saved comfortably before quickly breaking up field were Ross Jeffries once of Welshpool Town showed his class scoring although once again Ball the Glantraeth custodian got fingertips to the shot. The visitors almost get another goal within the minute but Dave Ball saved well from Jeffires. It was inevitable that on form Bala would increase their goal tally as Glan found the going hard once again it was a breakaway and former Lex striker Warren Ducket made it 0-3 as half time fast approached. Still Glantraeth never gave up battling and must be comended for the way they plugged at it.

Within a minute of the restart Bala almost made it 4-0 but Ball pulled off another good save, then on 55 minutes Jeffries beat the offside as the whole defence stopped, and rounded the home keeper to make it 0-4. On 65 minutes Dave Ball was called upon once again saving at point blank range from Neil Davies. Glantraeth went up the other end and finally got an effort on goal courtesy of Chris Evans. Another factor was that the wind so strong in the first half had almost died down. Nigel Barry then scored with a half volley from fully thirty five yards out, Tyrell was routed to the spot as the ball flew like a bullet into the top corner. Possibly the best goal scored by a Glantraeth player this season. Glantraeth then staged a mini fight back as Richard Owen was inches wide from a Chris Evans corner. and Craig Roberts also saw a good effort which was goal bound deflected.

It was noted at the half time cuppa that Bala officials and supporters were admiring the League Championship and League Cups which are both on display, with performances by the visitors like to-days against the reigning Champions and Cup holders there is a every good chance that both of these trophies will be changing hands at the end of the season and will be on display in Bala's trophy cabinet. Good luck to Colin Caton and his team in their ambitions.

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Carl Thomas (Darren Jones 45), Richard F Owen, Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen, Nigel Barry, Rob Williams (Cemlyn Williams 67), Chris Evans, Craig Roberts (Osian Pritchard 78), Richard Owen, Emyr Rowlands.