Cymru Alliance
29 Nov 2008
Glantraeth 3 Lex XI 4
Report by Stan Strickland

Disgraceful scenes in added time marred what had been a fabulous game of football with Lex finally overcoming a battling Glantraeth side by four goals to three.

The opening period saw Glan well on top but failing to score, Corey Sinnott having the best chance as he ran clear only for Lex keeper Dan Billington to advance quickly and save. The visitors took the lead against the run of play on 21 minutes as a right wing cross from Ian Davies was handled by Gareth Owen and Mike Latham converted the spot kick.

The Anglesey side continued to press and drew level in the 32nd minute as Chris Evans found the bottom corner with a well struck free kick from just outside the penalty area.

A powerful header from Gareth Owen out of defence again put Corey Sinnott away down the middle four minutes later but the Glan striker was muscled off the ball before he could get in a shot on goal then Chris Evans posed danger, picking up a defence splitting pass from Kevin Roberts but Billington was down smartly to push the ball for a corner. Lex were lucky to survive the corner kick as the ball bobbled about in front of goal ending in a scuffle that saw Glan skipper Gareth Owen picked out for punishment, being dismissed for a second caution.

It made little difference to the home side who continued to look the better side after the break and took a deserved lead on the hour mark as Chris Evans sent over the perfect cross for Gerallt Jones to score with a downward header.

The introduction of Khoz Hematinafar and Leighton Roberts from the bench had given a more threatening look to the Lex attack and they were back on equal terms three minutes later as Glan found themselves stretched at the back following a quick break and an unmarked Hematinafar easily converted a right wing cross.

The game was now wide open but as Glan continued to go for a winner they were leaving gaps in defence, Marc Newbould making a fine save from Hematinafar on 67 minutes and a minute later there was fury in the home dug-out as Leighton Roberts was allowed to run on from a seemingly offside position and score off the inside of a post.

The ten men of Glantraeth refused to concede and pulled it back to three-all on 72 minutes, Gerallt Jones again the scorer, volleying home from close in with Chris Evans once more the provider.

In what was turning out to be a thriller it was Lex who made what proved the final breakthrough two minutes later. A corner from the left was met by Craig Hughes his header towards goal being turned in by Leighton Roberts.

With the game in added time Glan bravely battled on and Kevin Roberts almost turned in an Andy Tower free kick then Paul Rowlands came steaming in from the left only for Billington to make a point blank save to rescue his side.

With time almost up there were scenes that will have severe repercussions for Lex substitute Khoz Hematinafar as he was dismissed for kicking out at Gerallt Jones. Not satisfied with that as he was leaving the field he ran at Jones and aimed a vicious kick at the Glantraeth player and following the ensuing mayhem had to be physically removed from the field.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, Adam Jones, Darren Jones, Gareth Owen, Andy Tower, Emyr Rowlands, Paul Rowlands, Gerallt Jones, Corey Sinnott (Tomos Wyn Roberts 79), Kevin Roberts, Chris Evans.