29 October 2005
Cymru Alliance League
Glantraeth 2 Guilsfield 2

This was an entertaining game in which the wet and windy conditions certainly played a part. It was difficult to get any momentum going as passes went astray as the teams attempted to get to grips with the blustery weather conditions. Glantraeth found themselves two goals down and with a quarter of a hour remaining stormed back to pull the deficit back and in injury time almost conjured up a winner.
Guilsfields Steve Towers had an early chance on 12Min's which drifted wide of the upright, then Glantraeth's Kevin Roberts put a good chance over the crossbar from a Rob Williams free kick which was headed on by Mark Thomas.A minute later Roberts broke through and one on one with Barton the Guilsfield keeper shot straight at him. Simon Kay then put Roberts in but his shot rebounded off the crossbar. On 28MIN'S Roberts was once again clean through but this time he scooped the shot over the keeper only to see it rebound off the bar.Rob Cookeson then took a free kick which beat Thomas the Glantraeth custodian but was wide of the upright. With halt-time approaching Cookeson who was a danger throughout for Glantraeth turned and shot into the sidenetting. No goals for either side at the break but the home team could have been at least 3 - to the good.Two Min's after the break a good corner by Steve Towers saw Guilsfield's Richie Harris turn a header just over the bar, then Towers himself had a good chance go side. On 66Min's the deadlock was broken as a cross by Towers found Tom Reynolds lurking on the edge of the 6yd box, he made no mistake tucking his shot past Thomas to put Guilsfield 1 - 0 up. Just after the restart Glantraeth won a free kick taken by Rob Williams who found Warren Gibbs but his header was wide. Mark Thomas was then dispossesed in midfield the ball went to Richie Harris who's shot took a slight deflections to deceive Steve Thomas, Guilsfield now in the driving seat. A few minutes passed and Paul Whelan made a double substitution bringing on Mark Owens, and Lee Dixon. With his first touch of the ball Mark Owens pulled a goal back for Glantraeth after an excellent cross from Craig Roberts found him on the penalty spot. Fired into life Glantraeth started to play some good football, but Richie Harris was unlucky as he broke the defensive line only to see the resulting shot come back off the crossbar. With five minutes remaining a cross from the left was headed back across the face of goal by super sub Mark Owens it found Rob Williams who was at the near post to head in and equalise for Glantraeth 2 - 2. In the final minute of normal time Kevin Roberts received the ball on the edge of the box but his shot went wide of the post, and in injury time Roberts tried to tee up Owens, when well placed himself and in the scramble Guilsfield were glad to hoof the ball well out of the dander area. 2 - 2 was probably a fair result as it could be said at the end of the day Glantraeth ''got out of jail'' One thing is for sure Guilsfield will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season in the Cymru Alliance League.


Jeff Scott