Cymru Alliance
29 August 2007
Holyhead Hotspur 2 Glantraeth 2
Match report by Jeff Scott

The game at Holyhead's impressive new facility pitched the Cymru Alliance Leagues oldest and very experienced goalkeepers Gareth Hughes against one of the youngest and up and coming prospects Liam Shanahan. A good crowd witnessed a very entertaining game in which Glantraeth had a good first 25 minutes before the young forwards of Holyhead took control and bossed the game for a very long time. Both sides could have come away with full points in the end as gilt edged chances went begging for both sides. In the end Cambell Harrison was the most disappointed as his young strickers wasted were guilty of wasting a host of chances, whilst Paul Whelan was satisfied to get a point and kept up the current unbeaten run going.

There was 13Min's on the clock when Darren Garmey was guilty of pulling down Richard F. Owen in the area and Gerallt Jones opened the scoring from the penalty spot beating Liam Shanahan to his left to make it 1 - 0 to the visitors. Richard F. Owen then hit an effort wide of the post. The Harbourmen equalised when a well taken Mike Edwards free kick found ex Glantraeth player Warren Gibbs unmarked who scored with a powerful header. At the other Shanahan did just enough to put off Alan Jones who put the ball wide when clean through. Ian Williams then headed over the bar from a Mike Edwards cross. With thirty minutes gone Holyhead went into the lead after a disastrous mix up between keeper Gareth Hughes and Llion Davies they both hesitated and in nipped Curt Williams to nick the ball and fire into the empty net. Emyr Rowlands then fired straight at keeper Liam Shanahan. Holyhead started to boss the game with nippy Curt and namesake Ian Williams working the Glantraeth rear guard. Richard F. Owen fired over the bar in the closing stages of the half.

In the early stages of the second half a cross from Darren Jones was headed out for a corner, from which a breakaway occurred as Ian Williams broke and with only the keeper to beat he seemed to trip over his bootlaces with no one around him and the ball was picked up by Gareth Hughes Curt Williams and Ian Williams were then guilty of guilt edge misses when clean through. Richard F. Owen then put clean through fired over the bar. Home side Manager Harrison was then disappointed as the Williams boys once again wasted good chances Ian with a shot over the bar and Curt with a header following a free kick from Tom Nathan Edwards. 69 minutes had passed when a corner from Gerallt Jones found Emyr Rowlands whose powerful downward header found the back of the net although Shanahan did protest the linesman and was booked by Mr MW Williams the official On 73 minutes Gerallt Jones saw a header go wide and after coming on as a substitute Mark Owen could have won the game when clean through but fired straight at the keeper.

A hard earned point against a well organised Holyhead outfit who should have comfortably won the game with chances alone. But Glantraeth will be satisfied with the point.

Glantraeth: Gareth Hughes, Jason Thomas, Darren Jones, Llion Davies, Gareth Owen (Andy Tower 61), Richard F Owen, Rob Williams, Nigel Barry, Gerallt Jones, Emyr Rowlands, Alan Jones (Mark Owens 78).