Cymru Alliance
28 Feb 2009
Mold Alex 2 Glantraeth 2
Report by Stan Strickland

Glantraeth recovered well from last week’s hammering at the hands of Llandudno and will feel disappointed to not pick up all three points. With the squad stretched to the limit defender Danny Wade came in for his debut after being out several weeks through injury.

Anthony Hughes twice went close as Glan enjoyed the better of the opening stages with Darren Pritchard heading wide for the home side on 15 minutes but it was the Anglesey side that took the lead six minutes later, Anthony Hughes latching on to a perfectly executed through ball from Jarl Glynn to neatly slip the ball past advancing keeper James Collins.

Hughes went close again two minutes later as a defence splitting pass from Gareth Owen put the Glan striker clear on goal but Collins was out quickly to make a point blank save.

A driving run from Emyr Rowlands on the half-hour mark ended with him shooting wide then Anthony Hughes had a chance to put Glan further in front following a fine pass from Chris Evans but got too much elevation on the ball and put the chance well over.

Glan were good value for their lead but there was no room for complacency and keeper Marc Newbould was called on to save from Mold’s David Gleave then a quick break from the visitors saw Pritchard miss an opportunity.

The visitors were firmly in the driving seat seven minutes before the break as Caerwyn Roberts swung a corner in from the right and James Burgess did well to get in a header under pressure, the match officials declaring the ball had entered the goal despite Mold’s desperate attempts to clear.

The Alyn Park side were back in the game a minute later as with Mike Roberts in possession in the Glan penalty area tackles were sliding in all over the shop before Jarl Glynn finally brought him down. Roberts picked himself up to score from the spot.

It was again Glantraeth that looked the more likely scorers after the break. Burgess almost putting Chris Evans clear then just failing to make contact with a Caerwyn Roberts’ free kick. Another free kick from Roberts tested the keeper while Mold went close through Mike Roberts who fired a shot into the side netting.

Burgess and Anthony Hughes had been a constant threat to Mold up front and it was the big man who tried his luck on 70 minutes with a curling shot that Collins dealt with comfortably but despite all these chances Glan found themselves pulled back three minutes later as Craig Roberts raced in unchallenged to powerfully head home a corner kick from the left and make it 2-2.

Gareth Owen had a clear chance to put Glan back in front almost immediately as he met a Chris Evans corner only to head over when well positioned.

It was all Glantraeth in the closing stages as they pressed for the winner their performance deserved, Collins doing well to save from Emyr Rowlands then Chris Evans shot over but the best chance came as the game entered the 93rd minute as James Burgess found himself unmarked in front of goal as a Caerwyn Roberts corner came over from the right but the Glan man failed to connect cleanly and the ball passed harmlessly wide.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, Bryn Jones, Adam Jones, Jarl Glynn, Gareth Owen, Anthony Hughes, Caerwyn Roberts, Emyr Rowlands, James Burgess, Danny Wade, Chris Evans.