Cymru Alliance League
28 January 2006
Glantraeth 6 Halkyn 2

Glantraeth improved their prospects of winning the Cymru Alliance League title today with a comfortable win against rock bottom side Halkyn United. They achieved the win with six different players getting on the score-sheet. Returning to bolster the defence after missing the previous weeks game at Ruthin were Simon Kay and Gareth Owen. On four minutes an excellent move involving several players including Nigel Barry and Rob Williams led to Simon Kay hitting a shot the keeper saved well. Glantraeth were showing their credentials as title contenders and in an early spell of good pressure Craig Roberts went on a solo run past four defenders only to hit his shot wide of the upright. Halkyn then in a rare venture into Glantraeth territory saw Steve Thomas pull off a good save from the lively Barry Calder. At the other end Nigel Barry tried his luck with a curling shot that the keeper saved. On 16 Min's Halkyn equalised after slack defending let in Barry Calder who put his shot under advancing keeper Steve Thomas. Within two minutes the Bodorgan boys were back in the lead after Kevin Roberts delivered a perfect corner and Mark Thomas headed in at the far post. Simon Kay then tried a 25 yarder that sailed over the crossbar. On 31 minutes Glantraeth played the ball for a number of passes about the field before a final cross from Emyr Rowlands found Rob Williams who headed in to make it 3-1 to the hosts. Simon Kay who was a handful for the visitors all day was put through by Kevin Roberts and his shot was well saved.
Halkyn could have pulled a goal back just before the break but although Ian Dunn broke through as he turned to take his shot he managed to screw it wide of an upright.

The start of the second half saw Glantraeth effectively kill the game off as they hit Halkyn with two quick fire goals to make the scoreline 5-1. Firstly from another corner delivered by Kevin Roberts Craig Roberts rose above the defence to head in what was the third headed goal by Glantraeth of the afternoon. A minute later Nigel Barry broke and slid a shot past advancing keeper Ryan Roberts. Halkyn did not however give up and in the 57th minute pulled a second goal back through Steven Owen which was their first attack of the second half. 5-2. Kevin Roberts then put a further chance over the bar before Ian Dunn for Halkyn looped a chance over the advancing keeper but it bounced wide. Craig Roberts then broke but his shot was deflected for a corner by the outstretched foot of a defender. Then in the 80th minute as Craig Roberts broke he unselfishly squared to substitute Mark Owens who scored from close in to make it 6-2, before Simon Kay had a final chance wide. In the 89th minute Glantraeth had Mark Thomas dismissed for a second yellow card. Final score Glantraeth 6 Halkyn United 2.


Jeff Scott