Cymru Alliance
27 August 2008
Glantraeth 0 Llangefni Town 2
Report by Stan Strickland

Itís maybe too early to press the panic button but certainly Glantraethís lack of firepower was a major cause for concern following this defeat as despite enjoying a good share of possession keeper Paul Whitfield spent a largely untroubled ninety minutes in the Llangefni goal, the situation not being helped by the absence of last seasonís leading scorer Gareth Wyn Roberts.

In an evenly contested opening period it was Glanís Paul Rowlands who showed first, firing in a dangerous cross on 7 minutes that Cefni did well to clear, then Kev Lloyd and Danny Glyn Roberts tried their luck for the visitors, both efforts sailing well over. A long ball from Barry Jones gave Glanís Chris Saxon an opening to try a header but from fifteen yards out he couldnít direct the ball on goal.

Richard Higham shot wildly over for Llangefni on 17 minutes but Glan were now beginning to exert some pressure on the visitors with Paul Rowlands trying a scissors kick that failed to test Whitfield.

The game swung Cefniís way on 23 minutes as confusion between Warren Gibbs and Darren Jones let in Darren Thomas down the right who squared the ball for Danny Glyn Roberts only two yards out and although he failed to connect cleanly the ball carried just enough weight to beat the defenders on the goalline.

Glanís response was almost immediate as good play by Paul Rowlands on the left gave Darren Jones the chance to let fly from outside the area with his powerful shot being deflected on to the bar. From the corner kick Kevin Roberts almost stole in at the far post.

The goal had lifted the visitors and twice in a minute they came close to increasing their lead as first Danny Glyn Roberts created a shooting chance for himself only to see his low shot come back off a post then Craig Evans did well to block a close range effort from Kev Lloyd.

Darren Thomas was a constant threat for the visitors and he went close on 32 minutes, shooting narrowly wide. Glan won a free kick in a good position on the edge of the area two minutes later, Corey Sinnott taking the kick but failing to clear the defensive wall, and the last real action of the half led to Paul Rowlands trying his luck with a volley following a long ball from Barry Jones but again Whitfield was not called into action.

The second period began scrappily with neither side impressing but once again it was Cefniís Darren Thomas who was causing the problems shooting into the side netting, having another effort deflected for a corner and, then, on 69 minutes, clipping the crossbar with an angled drive.

It took a great reaction save from keeper Gareth OJ Roberts a minute later to prevent a second goal for the visitors, pushing the ball against a post as a cross into the area deflected off defender Gareth Owen.

On 72 minutes Llangefni did get a second as Kev Roberts drove into the area and buried the ball in the bottom corner to put the visitors very much in the driving seat.

Glan continued to see plenty of the ball but too often were giving the ball away cheaply with a misdirected pass and the Cefni defence now looked well in control, a rare threat coming on 76 minutes as Paul Rowlands broke away down the right only to see his cross blocked.

Stepping up the pace in the final few minutes the home side looked as if they might pull a goal back, a snap shot from Gerallt Jones drifting wide, then a good ball from Corey Sinnott created an opening for Craig Evans but his first touch let him down. A surging run from Emyr Rowlands caused danger on 89 minutes and in one final throw of the dice Chris Saxon nodded a Chris Evans corner kick straight at the keeper.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Craig Evans, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Tomos Jones, Gareth Owen, Chris Saxon, Paul Rowlands, Corey Sinnott, Kevin Roberts, Barry Jones. Subs used: Gerallt Jones, Emyr Rowlands, Chris Evans