Cymru Alliance
27 Mar 2009
Llangefni Town 1 Glantraeth 2
Report by Stan Strickland

Glantraeth upset the form book with a well earned win at Talwrn Road, always looking dangerous in attack and defending well when they had to.

The visitors were unlucky not to take the lead in the third minute as James Burgess forced his way through and struck a powerful shot that dipped inches over. Glan continued to take the game to second placed Cefni and went in front on 14 minutes as Kevin Roberts free kick from 25 yards deceived home keeper Paul Whitfield and found the top corner.

The first real threat from Llangefni came on the twenty minute mark as Kevin Roberts met a right flank cross and headed narrowly wide but Glan were close to adding a second three minutes later as David Alan Jones controlled a cross from Caerwyn Roberts and let fly with a tremendous effort that skimmed the crossbar.

Llangefni drew level on 33 minutes although it looked a harsh decision as referee Nick Pratt awarded a penalty kick to the home side for an adjudged trip by Danny Wade, Kevin Roberts converting.

Playing his first game Glan keeper Darren Baker had hardly been troubled during an opening half that should have seen the visiting side ahead but within three minutes of the restart they were back in the lead as Kevin Roberts got his second goal from the penalty spot although again there was an air of mystery of why it was awarded, Mr Pratt spotting an infringement in a crowded penalty area.

The home side were now getting more possession but failing to really trouble a dominant Glantraeth defence with Baker handling well in goal when called into action and again it was the visitors who posed the greater threat with Mark Owens meeting a cross from Emyr Rowlands but heading wide. A minute later James Burgess, who gave the Cefni defence a torrid time all night long, fired just too high after fastening on to a through ball from David Alan Jones.

As the game entered the final half-hour Cefni desperately pushed forward for an equaliser, Kevin Roberts firing narrowly the wrong side of a post, but as they committed players forward they were exposed to the quick counterattack from Glan and twice the pace of Anthony Hughes almost caught them out.

The pressure on the Glantraeth goal intensified during the last ten minutes with Darren Thomas wasting a good opportunity as he met a good ball in from Chris Williams but the home side just could not relax at the other end as Anthony Hughes tried a snap shot on 85 minutes that was only a foot wide.

There was more tension for the Bodorgan side as the game entered an extended period of added time and it looked like they were to be denied victory as another penalty was awarded in the 94th minute for a trip on Kevin Roberts but this time the same player failed to take advantage, firing the spot kick wide.

Finally, in the 97th minute Mr Pratt decided to call time and Glantraeth had the three points their performance on the night deserved and now takes them to within one point of 15th placed Gresford with four games still to play.

Glantraeth: Darren Baker, Bryn Jones, Caerwyn Roberts, Danny Wade, Gareth Owen, David Alan Jones (Jarl Glynn 71), Anthony Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, James Burgess, Kevin Roberts, Mark Owens.