Cymru Alliance
26 April 2008
Guilsfield 4 Glantraeth 1
Report by Stan Strickland

For all the possession and territorial advantage Glantraeth enjoyed they were undone four times by a Guilsfield side whose counter-attacking style of play proved far more effective on the day.

Gareth Wyn Roberts was within inches of putting the Anglesey side ahead in the first minute as his powerful shot dipped just over then Paul Rowlands set up a chance for Emyr Rowlands who got under the ball and saw it sail too high.

A good run from Tim Nunnerley threatened the Glantraeth goal on 16 minutes but the shot was well off target and again Nunnereley was the threat five minutes later but again failed to trouble keeper Gareth OJ Roberts.

The pressure was starting to build on the home goal and although Rob Williams got good contact on a Richard Owen cross he found Guils’ keeper Dave Littleford well positioned to save. Emyr Rowlands twice went close in the space of four minutes, a surging run almost breaking through and then heading wide a well directed pass from Wyn Roberts.

Glantraeth were now well in control, Emyr Rowlands almost catching Littleford off his line with one effort then Gerallt Jones and Wyn Roberts having shots blocked in quick succession.

There was a major shock for the visitors three minutes before the break as a controversial penalty was awarded for adjudged handball by Llion Davies. The move started well enough as Simon Edwards darted forward before feeding Rob Cookson on the left and as he drove the ball in it struck Davies on the arm from little more than a few feet away and in line with the growing trend to award penalties for what used to be deemed ‘ball to hand’ the match official pointed to the spot. It proved a turning point in the game as it lifted the home side and four minutes into the second period they went two ahead as Ben White headed home from a couple of yards out after a Cookson cross had caused problems for the Glan rearguard.

Despite their lack of success Glan continued to push forward, Jonathan Peris Jones firing over after being nicely set up by Wyn Roberts. The Guils were defending in numbers and shots from Richard Owen and Sion Parry were both frustrated as shots hit defenders in a crowded penalty area.

The home side continued to look dangerous on the counter-attack with White clipping the top of the crossbar with a header on the hour mark and three minutes later Nunnerley was left with an easy finish after a cross from White had found him unmarked.

Glantraeth keeper OJ Roberts had been one of the least occupied players on the park yet three times he had picked the ball out of the net such had been the impressive strike rate of the home side.

The visiting side pulled a goal back on 67 minutes as a poor kick from Littleford was picked up by David Alan Jones fully forty yards out who played it straight back into the empty goal with Littleford unable to get back.

A good ball from Owen almost found Alan Jones as Glantraeth attempted to stage a recovery but eight minutes from time it was all over as Steve Jones broke away and laid the ball off for Nunnerley to complete his hat-trick.

Glantraeth could not be faulted for effort and with Wyn Roberts continuing to be the main threat in creating chances Alan Jones and Peris Jones were both near to improving the scoreline in the closing minutes.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Emyr Rowlands (Osian Pritchard 64), Darren Jones, Llion Davies, Sion Parry, Richard Owen, Paul Rowlands, Chris Saxon (Jonathan Peris Jones 20), Gerallt Jones, Gareth Wyn Roberts, Rob Williams (David Alan Jones 64).