Cymru Alliance
25 August 2007
Glantraeth 1 Llandyrnog United 1
Report by Jeff Scott

A minutes silence was held prior to the game in memory of Gweneth wife of Mr Iolo Owen.

It was the same side that took on Bodedern in the draw on Wednesday evening that took to the field, with the exception of Chris Saxon who returned after his one match suspension. Gareth Hughes retained the no1 jersey after a very impressive performance in the local derby, and Alan Jones and Kevin Roberts were the preferred forwards. A full compliment of five substitutes was assembled as per the new Cymru Alliance rule, and it was good to see Assistant Manager Nigel Barry back in the squad.

The first action came after 10 minutes when a cleverly swung in corner by Kevin Roberts found Emyr Rowlands whose downward header was cleared off the goal line by Owain Roberts. It was nip and tuck in the first half as both teams tried to cope with the very hot conditions. With about 30 minutes on the clock Glantraeth finally opened the scoring it was once again a well taken corner by Kevin Roberts that this time found Gerallt Jones who made no mistake with a bullet header past Ian Davies in the Dyrnog goal. On 34 minutes Llandyrnog created their first real opportunity of the half as a set piece free kick by Craig Wilkinson found the tallest player on the field Jon Slater who headed wide of the upright. Almost immediately Glantraeth went on the attack Roberts winning a free kick in a dangerous area. Rob Williams put in a cross that was headed out for Kevin Roberts to try an acrobatic scissor kick that flew over the bar. The Bodorgan based went in 1-0 up at the break satisfied with the overall performance.

The second period saw Llandyrnog claw their way back into the game as they came out all guns blazing to try and get the equaliser. A shot by Owain Roberts was narrowly wide as Glantraeth found themselves under some pressure. Craig Wilkinson then hit an effort over the bar before at the other end in a goalmouth scramble Glantraeth almost got a second goal but the ball somehow rebounded to safety. A double substitution saw Jones and Saxon come off and a first appearance of the season for Nigel Barry along with Mark Owens, in an attempt to change the game. Kevin Roberts was then replace by new signing Andy Tower. With ten minutes remaining on the clock Neil Hughes burst through into the Glantraeth area although clearly clipped by a home defender he did not fall over but the official Mr Maldwyn Williams awarded a penalty to the visitors. Up stepped Michal Bryan Jones who hit a good ball that home keeper Gareth Hughes just got his hand too but was unable to stop it going into the top corner for and equalising goal for Dyrnog. Mark Owen on 83 minutes could have made a name for himself beating a defender to a cross from Richard F. Owen but leaning too far back an seeing his effort go harmlessly over the crossbar. Final score 1 - 1 as Glantraeth remain unbeaten and with five points from three games.

Glantraeth: Gareth Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Jason Thomas, Llion Davies, Richard F Owen, Rob Williams, Chris Saxon (Nigel Barry 64), Gerallt Jones, Kevin Roberts (Andy Tower 69), Alan Jones (Mark Owens 63)