Cymru Alliance
24 November 2007
Gresford Athletic 0 Glantraeth 2
Report by Stan Strickland

A masterful first half display by Glantraeth saw them in complete control and threatening to score a bagful only for the brilliance of home keeper Mike Platt.

After Chris Saxon and Kevin Roberts had gone close in the opening stages Platt flung himself to his right to make a fingertip save from a 16th minute Jonathan Peris Jones free kick. A minute later Gresford’s keeper made a point blank save from Saxon.

In reply an off target volley from Ian Matthias was Gresford’s only first half threat. It was one way traffic, Glan were passing the ball around with great fluency to which the Wrexham side had no answer and the keeper was again called into action on 20 minutes, saving with his feet from Saxon.

Platt was finally beaten a minute later as Peris Jones threaded a ball through to Nigel Barry whose cross was headed home by Gareth Wyn Roberts, his first goal for the club.

The Gresford goal was leading a charmed life as Paul Rowlands’ powerful drive hit a defender on the goal line then Platt had to go full length to keep out another well struck shot, this time from Emyr Rowlands. The ever dangerous Chris Saxon then fired wide as half-time approached. Richard F Owen was called on to defend well as Gresford briefly threatened through Matthias but one goal had been poor reward for some impressive football from the visitors and it was no more than they deserved when Kevin Roberts added another two minutes before the break, finishing at the second attempt from a Wyn Roberts’ cross after his first effort had been blocked.

After looking well beaten Gresford came out after the break looking a different side and began to take the game to Glan with Alan Williams heading wide from a good opportunity on 48 minutes, then Danny Purdie created a chance but his shot didn’t trouble keeper Gareth OJ Roberts.

Chris Saxon sent in a shot following a Kevin Roberts corner as Glan looked to make the game safe but the visitors had a real let-off on 65 minutes as despite claims for a foul on Darren Jones play was allowed to continue and Gresford’s Darren Jones headed wide from only two yards out.

The visitors should have made it three six minutes later as Paul Rowlands’ shot was half saved with the ball falling to Wyn Roberts who delayed and found himself crowded out. Another chance was wasted on 78 minutes as Saxon provided an opportunity for Gerallt Jones who elected to pass to Paul Rowlands instead of shooting and the ball passed wide.

Gresford were showing plenty of spirit and substitute Billy Brindley looked to be closing in on goal with four minutes remaining but was forced wide by Richard F Owen. With time almost up Wyn Roberts had another good chance from a Gerallt Jones’ cross but missed the target with his header.

Glantraeth are playing some good stuff at present and it now seems only a matter of time before they join the leading group.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Jonathan Peris Jones, Darren Jones, Llion Davies, Emyr Rowlands (Paul Tilbury 74), Richard F Owen, Paul Rowlands (Osian Pritchard 86), Chris Saxon, Gareth Wyn Roberts, Kevin Roberts (Gerallt Jones 70), Nigel Barry.