Cymru Alliance League
22 March 2006
Holywell 1 Glantraeth 0

On a bitterly cold Wednesday evening Glantraeth made the trek to bogey side Holywell Town in the only game to be played on the night. Back in contention after missing the previous game was Craig Roberts and also in the starting line up were recent signings Darren Gowans and Gareth Davies. Missing due to suspension was Simon Kay, and Rob Williams was ill. Glantraeth started brightly enough and Gowans forced keeper Stuart Bidwell into a fine save after just four minutes. A Gowans corner was headed inches wide by Mark Thomas before Julian Pepper put a good chance over the bar at the other end. Pepper then hit a shot wide and Richard Hughes for Glantraeth saw Bidwell pull off yet another good save. It was a fairly even first half, and some of the refereeing decisions for both sides left a lot to be desired. On 46 Min's Gareth Davies twice went close, the second chance coming off the foot of the post. Then in the 50Th minute the official lost the plot, showing Mike Parry a second yellow card for a nothing tackle even though Holywell players pleaded his case. Glantraeth reduced to ten men replaced Gareth Davies with Craig Roberts and he injected some much needed pace. Mark Thomas was through on 53 MIN'S only to be flagged for offside. Then Richard Hughes had the ball in the back of the net only to find it ruled out for an infringement. Craig Roberts put a good chance over the bar before on 76 Min's Holywell took the lead with a goal that had more than a suspicion of offside. Wayne Edwards who had just come on as a sub raced clear and slipped the ball beyond Steve Thomas. In a frantic final 15 minutes try as they might Glantraeth just could not unlock a stubborn Holywell defence. Craig Roberts raced down the line and forced Bidwell into yet another save with his outstretched foot and Rhys Robbins and Julian Pepper almost increased the lead. Paul Whelan just on as sub almost equalised in a goal mouth melee, and in the final minute Craig Roberts broke through and one on one with the keeper hit a fierce shot that struck the upright.

Jeff Scott