Cymru Alliance
21 October 2006
Glantraeth 3 Prestatyn Town 6
Report by Jeff Scott

Glantraeth were hit for six by a Prestatyn team currently on a mini-roll, the Bodorgan boys just could not cope with the threat of Jon Fisher Cooke, Gari Thomas and lively Steve Bowes who created havoc at times with Glantraeth's defence. To be fair to the home side though they battled bravely to the end. The first chance fell to Richard Owen with a glancing header before Steve Bowes broke but pulled the shot wide of the upright. On 9 Min's Richard Owen then got through the Prestatyn rearguard only to see his shot saved by Ben Rowley.

It was a brilliant individual effort by Paul Rowlands that opened the scoring as he beat two defenders and unleashed a shot into the tops of the net. The immediate response from Steve Bowes Prestatyn's centre forward was to hit a fine shot that was well saved by Dave Ball. A minute later Prestatyn were level Bowes finding Neil Gibson unmarked to fire into the net past the Glantraeth custodian. Barely a minute had lapsed before a clumsy challenge saw Prestatyn awarded a penalty, up stepped Bowes to put the visitors into the lead 2-1 . The goal just kept on coming as a free kick was awarded to Glantraeth just outside the area Nigel Barry picked his spot curling the ball up and over the defensive wall past Rowley to even the game once more. On 31 minutes only ten minutes since the first goal was scored Prestatyn once again took the lead when a Bowes free kick took a wicked deflection off Jon Fisher Cooke to make it 3-2. Five goals scored in a ten minute spell. On 37 minutes Nigel Barry saw a good effort well saved by Rowley before Rob Williams hit a tremendous shot the keeper did well to tip over the bar for a corner from which Paul Rowlands hit a good chance wide of the upright. Jon Fisher Cooke then hit a looping shot wide before Glantraeth's Richard. F. Owen saw a shot from distance deflected for a corner. The halt time score remained 3-2 to the visitors.

A minute into the second period Richard Owen found Rob Williams but his header went wide . Bowes then against the run of play at the time then broke and hit a tremendous effort that rattled off the crossbar. Prestatyn went further ahead with Fisher Cooke striking a good effort that was in the back of the net before Ball in Glantraeths could react. Across come shot almost deceived Rowley and the Kevin Robert slammed a good chance against the upright. In the 73 minute Prestatyn made it five goals to two when the Glantraeth at sixes and sevens let in Gari Thomas who scored from close range. On 80 Bowes shot over the crossbar when free on goal then Gari Thomas scored his second and Prestatyn's sixth with 81 minutes on the clock. 85 minutes gone Kevin Roberts layed off a good ball for Rob Williams to make it 3-6 before Simon Kay shot wide when in the final minute. A bad day at the office you might say but to be fair every mistake that the Glantraeth team did was punished by some clinical finishing by a team who had a bad start to their Cymru Alliance campaign but are certainly no pushovers. I am sure Paul will quickly want to forget this one and get back on track starting with Tuesday's away fixture in Llandudno.

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Emyr Rowlands, Simon Kay, Warren Gibbs (Adrian Jurkowski 63), Gareth Owen, Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Richard F Owen, Richard Owen (Osian Pritchard 63), Kevin Roberts, Paul Rowlands (Martin Bohana 73).