Cymru Alliance
21 April 2007
Glantraeth 0 Llangefni Town 3
Report by Jeff Scott

A bumper crowd turned up at the Bodorgan ground to witness this derby battle between two of Anglesey's best footballing sides. Luck was certainly on the Llangefni side who opened the scoring with the most bizarre goal I think I have ever seen in all my years involved with football. If the incident was shown on a QUESTION OF SPORT I doubt anyone would guess what happened to the football. An innocent looking ball pumped into the eighteen yard box by Ywain Gwynedd as home keeper Dave Ball was about to gather the ball took a wicked swerve up off a worn area on the edge of the six yard box changed complete direction and finished in the back of the net, with the keeper looking bemused. Llangefni had the better exchanges of the first half, but Glantraeth were the superior side after the break. Top goal scorer Richard Owen had a penalty saved by Farai Jackson, the visiting keeper also kept Llangefni in it with a string of fine saves, and it was two late goals conceded with Glantraeth pushing up and leaving gaps at the back that meant the scoreline was quite flattering in the end.

Llangefni were up for this one and came at Glantraeth straight from the off trying to unsettle them, first chance fell to Kevin Lloyd who forced a good save from Dave Ball after four minutes of play. Then the most bizarre of goals as Ball shouted to his defender to leave the ball hit an area of damage at the edge of the six yard box, changed direction and flew into the net via the goalpost. Not the best of starts but Glantraeth plugged away with Carl Thomas heading wide and over the bar from a neat Kevin Roberts free kick. Gerraint Jones then turned and shot over from the edge of the box. Llangefni had the majority of the play and forced a series of free kicks and corners that were well defended as Glantraeth were on the back foot. The best of the free kicks saw Dave Ball pull of a good save to his right post from Graham Austin. Half time was 0-1 to the visitors and Glantraeth were still in it.

The second half the home team came out firing on all cylinders first Jackson saved well from Kevin Roberts who's broke through and picked up a pass from Nigel Barry. Then Roberts got through one again and pulled a good chance wide after a cross from Emyr Rowlands. A minute later Richard got through but Jackson pulled off yet another top class save. Three chances in three minutes gone begging. Craig Roberts then put in namesake Kevin and Jackson saved at the foot of the post. Lady Luck was certainly not with Glantraeth who for all their creativity could not finish. The home side were putting Llangefni under all sorts of pressure whose answer was to hoof the ball up field and hope for a break away goal. Then on 61 minutes Kevin Roberts was pulled down in the area, no disputes form the Llangefni players up stepped leading goal scorer Richard Owen who hit the ball well but once again Jackson guessed which side of the net the ball was going flung himself and tipped the ball around the post. On 73 minutes Darren Hoy shot wide of the upright. In the 80th minute as Glantraeth were on an attack Emyr Rowlands lost possession and as Glan had pushed players up they were without numbers at the back sub Alan Jones shot and although Dave Ball saved well the ball fell kindly back to him for a simple tap in 2-0 to the visitors. Then in the 88th minute the home keeper cleared a back pass from Carl Thomas in the air more like an up and under it came back in the breeze was headed away but only reached Owain Gwynedd who added to his first half goal to make it a 3-0 victory to the visitors.

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Carl Thomas, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Craig Roberts, Nigel Barry, Rob Williams (Paul Rowlands 45), Richard F Owen, Richard Owen (Chris Evans 67), Kevin Roberts, Emyr Rowlands.