Cymru Alliance
21 Feb 2009
Glantraeth 1 Llandudno 6
Report by Stan Strickland

It may have had little impact on the result but at least Adam Jones’s stunning 85th minute strike lifted some of the gloom around Cae Trefdraeth as Glantraeth were well beaten by a dominant Llandudno side who now move into third place.

A failure to clear the ball under pressure saw Glatraeth fall behind in only the third minute with Danny Hughes taking advantage to fire home from ten yards out.

The home side replied with a 25 yard effort from ex-Tudno man Caerwyn Roberts but keeper Shaun Pearson was able to make a comfortable season. Glan had another chance on 10 minutes as Mark Owens was put clear only to elect to pass instead of shooting and the ball was quickly cleared up field. Glan were caught off-guard and Danny Hughes was left with an easy finish for his second.

Glantraeth now enjoyed their best spell of the game. James Burgess heading just wide from an Emyr Rowlands’ cross on 17 minutes and two minutes later Anthony Hughes drilled in a shot that was only narrowly the wrong side of the upright. Anthony Hughes was again the threat in the 24th minute as he came steaming in from the right only to see a defender block his goal bound effort and it was again Hughes who threatened moments later only to see Pearson come rushing out of his goal and save.

All this pressure had not brought a goal and the visitors began to regain control with Chris Boulton firing wide on 28 minutes from a good position then Anthony Hughes did well in defending mode to block a Lee Thomas effort.

It took a great flying save by home keeper Marc Newbould on 41 minutes to prevent a third as he went full length to save from a Lee Thomas header but the reprieve was short-lived as Luke O’Mahoney did make it three for the visitors in first half added time when he was left with far too much space to pick his spot.

The second period opened with Glan on the attack, a fine long ball from Caerwyn Roberts just inches out of reach of the inrushing Mark Owens, but ten minutes in referee Nick Pratt adjudged that home skipper Gareth Owen had brought down Ben Dews despite claims he had got some of the ball and Danny Hughes bagged his hat-trick by converting the spot kick.

Glan were now really up against it and another failed clearance three minutes later gifted Tudno possession and Chris Boulton had the easiest of chances to add another.

Five goals down with more than half-an-hour still to play it was time for the Anglesey side to dig deep and to their credit they continued to make chances, Caerwyn Roberts shooting over, Eppy McFadden breaking forward and firing in an effort that drifted wide then a well struck free kick from Caerwyn Roberts was deflected wide but once again they were exposed at the back as a cross from Nein Coverley on 67 minutes left Lee Thomas free to make it six.

Glan should have pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes remaining as David Alan Jones lost his marker but headed wide at the near post from a Caerwyn Roberts corner kick but they did get a consolation five minutes from time as another Caerwyn Roberts corner was cleared by the Tudno defence but as the ball came down defender Adam Jones from fully twenty five yards out struck the sweetest of volleys, the ball flying into the top corner with Pearson helpless to save.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, Eppy McFadden, Adam Jones, Andy Tower, Gareth Owen, David Alan Jones, Anthony Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, James Burgess, Mark Owens (Bryn Jones 59), Caerwyn Roberts.