Cymru Alliance League
21 January 2006
Ruthin Town 3 Glantraeth 2

Glantraeth went into this fixture knowing it would not be an easy ride against a Ruthin side who they knew from experience in the 0-0 draw at the Bodorgan Field are a very difficult side to break down. Ruthin's ground has also proved not to be a very happy hunting ground for Glantraeth sides over the past few seasons. Toady's game would be no exception. Owain Roberts for Ruthin broke through in the fist minute but his shot went wide of the upright. Then Endaf Jones blazed over the bar. As Glantraeth began to settle down Mark Thomas put Craig Roberts through, but with the keeper to beat he shot wide. Good interplay between several players led to Rob Williams being caught out by the offside trap. Nigel Barry then set up Williams but his shot was deflected wide. Williams then delivered a good free kick which Warren Gibbs stretching just headed wide of the upright. Glantraeth almost took the lead in the 17th minute as Richard Hughes cross - cum shot clipped the crossbar. Andy Roberts then shot wide for Ruthin and a minute later Glantraeth took the lead from a Kevin Roberts well delivered cross that the keeper Jeremy Porter could not hold and Craig Roberts was on hand to head in from close range. Glantraeth almost made it 2-0 moments later as Darren Jones hit a shot that screwed wide of the post after being put clear by Kevin Roberts from Richard Hughes long throw. Owain Roberts then put a chance wide and as play went to the other end of the field where Craig Roberts set up Emyr Rowlands who blazed over. Ruthin were enjoying a good spell of play as Glantraeth were guilty giving the ball away to easily with some wayward passing. Glantraeth defence backed off and did not close down Andy Roberts down but his final shot was poor.
At the start of the second period Mark Thomas had a header go wide and Craig Roberts went close. Then from a free kick Ruthin got the equalising goal, from a free kick Steve Thomas Glantraeth keeper dropped the ball at the feet of Mathew Davies who stabbed in from close range. The goal was certainly coming as to be fair Ruthin were playing the better football and pulling Glantraeth's makeshift defence all over the place at that stage. Kevin Roberts then put namesake Craig through and as he rounded the keeper and with a empty goal gaping somehow managed to screw the shot wide. Two more chances then followed as Craig Roberts and Richard Hughes tested Jeremy Porter. In the 70th minute Richard Hughes forced Porter to pull off a good save as he shot from distance. Darren Jones then tried an audacious volley that sailed over the bar. Ruthin it is know are the draw specialists of the Cymru Alliance League and the game looked to be heading that way until Glantraeth felt they should have been awarded a penalty after Craig Roberts was blatantly pulled down in the goal area. Pay continued up the other end and the ball crossed to unmarked Endaf Roberts to put Ruthin 2-1 up. Scott Jamieson then shot wide and Darren Jones for Glantraeth shot wildly over the bar. In the final minute of normal time two goals were scored as Glantraeth pushing for equaliser left gaps at the back. Mathew Davies exploited the space and scored at the near post to make it 3-1, before Richard Hughes in a scramble poked the ball home to make it 3-2. There then followed TEN MINUTES don't know where the official got it from added on time. Glantraeth pressed and Kevin Roberts had a shot cleared off the line and Warren Gibbs saw a goal-bound header cleared. Ruthin eventually held out the bombardment and on the deservedly won the points.


Jeff Scott