Cymru Alliance League Cup
20 Sep 2008
Flint Town United 4 Glantraeth 0
Report by Stan Strickland

Glantraeth went out of the League Cup despite battling gamely with a badly depleted squad. The Anglesey side dominated the opening 20 minutes, playing some impressive football, and had a great chance to go ahead in the fifth minute as a perfect cross from Chris Evans found David Alan Jones at the far post but his header lacked direction and passed wide. Alan Jones was leading the line well and almost broke through seven minutes later with a surging run into the heart of the Flint defence. Kevin Roberts then tried a right foot shot that failed to really test home keeper Adam McGee. Alan Jones went close to putting Corey Sinnott clear then the keeper had to go down quickly to a free kick from Chris Evans free kick and so far Flint had hardly been seen as an attacking force.

It was perhaps typical of Glanís recent luck as with their first attack the home side went ahead, Paul Williams sliding home a cross from Paul David Williams. It was goal completely against the run of play and five minutes later it got worse for the visitors as Shaun Beck was on target his effort coming back off the bar to leave him a simple header.

After such a promising opening this was now a testing time for the Bodorgan boys and goals from Darren Johnson and another from Shaun Beck either side of the interval left them trailing by four goals with virtually the whole of the second period still to come.

To their credit heads refused to drop and they continued to pass the ball around well. Corey Sinnott set up a chance for Paul Rowlands on 58 minutes only for his effort to curl just over then Chris Evans fired inches wide after the ball had been half cleared following a corner kick.

Stand-in keeper Gerallt Jones made a brave save at the feet of Flintís Paul Williams as the game went into itís final half-hour and with Glan continuing to look for that elusive first goal tiredness showed as Alan Jones failed to cleanly connect with a volley after a good pass from Chris Evans. Another fine save by Gerallt Jones from Paul Willaims on 79 minutes proved Flintís last real threat as Glantraeth bossed the final ten minutes, Corey Sinnott and Alan Jones linking up well to cause problems then a dangerous cross from Chris Evans was booted clear and the last action saw Alan Jones come close to getting the goal his performance deserved.

Glantraeth: Gerallt Jones, Adam Jones, Darren Jones, Gareth Owen, Gafyn Lloyd Jones, Emyr Rowlands, Corey Sinnott, Paul Rowlands, David Alan Jones, Kevin Roberts, Chris Evans.