Cymru Alliance
19 August 2008
Llanfairpwll 2 Glantraeth 2
Report by Stan Strickland

An outstanding first half display by Glantraeth opened up a deserved two goal lead but they will want to forget what happened after the break as twice the ball was miscued in the middle of the park and twice Llanfairpwl took full advantage to force a two-all draw.

Glan began strongly with Emyr Rowlands having a shot that didnít trouble the keeper and Chris Saxon heading wide from a Corey Sinnott cross. Sinnott then set up Kevin Roberts whose effort on goal was deflected over. It took a fine diving save by home keeper Ben Heald to keep out a powerful drive from Emyr Rowlands on 15 minutes and a minute later Corey Sinnott fired over as Glan continued to pile on the pressure. Then a well delivered pass from Sinnott was headed over by Gerallt Jones

Little had so far been seen of the home side as an attacking force but they came close to taking the lead on 24 minutes as a 25 yarder from David Jones skimmed the top of the crossbar.

It was soon Glan back on the attack as another good cross from Sinnott gave Chris Evans the opening for a volley on goal but the ball was driven straight at the keeper.

The breakthrough finally came on 28 minutes as Kevin Roberts headed the ball on for Gerallt Jones to bring a full length save from Heald, the ball going out for a corner. Sinnott took the kick, finding Gerallt Jones unmarked, and he made no mistake with a firm header.

Within three minutes the visitors had a great opportunity to add another as Gerallt Jones returned the favour, putting Sinnott clear on goal only for the Glan forward to pull his shot wide of the post. Kevin Roberts tried to catch Heald out of goal with a long range effort and Chris Saxon headed over yet another Sinnott cross in what was becoming a procession of attempts on the home goal.

Glan were playing some great stuff and a second goal had to come. When it did on 40 minutes it was a beauty, a tremendous pass from Chris Saxon to Chris Evans who skilfully set up Gerallt Jones to drill the ball past Heald.

From a position of complete command Glan found the game suddenly taking a dramatic turn two minutes into the second period. A misdirected pass by Gerallt Jones was picked up by Ian Burgess 25 yards out and he let fly with a tremendous volley that came back off the crossbar only to strike keeper Gareth OJ Roberts and ricochet back into the net. It lifted the home side who now started to look dangerous for virtually the first time in the game and it took a good block from Darren Jones on 56 minutes as Kelvin Frazer threatened. Five minutes later Gareth Owen had to clear off the line after a left wing corner kick had caused problems.

Corey Sinnott cut in from the right and fired in a shot that wasnít too off target as Glan looked to get back into the ascendancy but Llanfair were now looking more confident and OJ Roberts had to go down smartly to save from Richard Owen.

Corey Sinnott forced Heald into a good save on 82 minutes and with time running out it was beginning to look that Glanís first half efforts would pay dividends but with three minutes remaining another miscue in midfield, this time by Emyr Rowlands, left Richard Owen with a clear run into the penalty area and keeper OJ Roberts attempt to rescue the situation resulted in the Llanfair forward crashing to the ground, referee Gwynne Vaughan having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. David Jones converted the penalty to give the Maes Eilian side a share of the points.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Craig Evans, Darren Jones, Darren Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, Gareth Owen, Chris Saxon (Paul Rowlands 80), Gerallt Jones (Gareth Wyn Roberts 80), Kevin Roberts, Corey Sinnott, Chris Evans