Cymru Alliance
18 November 2006
Glantraeth 1 Buckley Town 1
Report by Jeff Scott

This was the day the present Cymru Alliance Champions (Glantraeth), and current runners up in the league (Buckley Town) met for the first time since the epic night back in May when they faced each other in what was the game of the season and decider as to who would become eventual Champions. Glantraeth won that one, but games against Buckley are never easy and today's match turned out to be quite a battle in the end.Buckley would feel aggrieved that they did not take all three points in the end, but it was the heroics of Dave Ball in the Glantraeth goal in the final ten minutes and a match saving tackle by Martin Bohana on Randles when he was clean through that meant that Glantraeth shared the points.

The Bodorgan boys found themselves kicking into a very strong wind in the first half as Buckley constantly tried to turn them round with the long ball over the top for Randles, France and Whyte to chase. Prolific goalscorer Graham Randles had the first chance cutting a shot wide of the upright on 12 minutes. Glantraeth were passing the ball around well, but several good moves broke down as the final pass went astray. Emyr Rowlands put in a good cross that was plucked off the head of Richard Owen by Buckley custodian Andy Hughes. Dave Ball at the other end was called into the action to save well from a corner taken by Rob Whyte. On 28 minutes a well taken corner by Kevin Roberts eventually fell to Paul Rowlands who hit a tremendous half volley that crashed off the upright and just evaded the incoming Richard Owen. A wild shot by Rob Whyte sailed high over the bar and then Glantraeth's Paul Rowlands had a good effort saved by Hughes as the half was coming to a close. Buckley thought they had opened the scoring in the final minute of the first period but the young linesman on the far side had his flag up for offside. Although playing into the high wind Glantraeth shaded the half. half time score 0-0.

Coming out for the second half the wind had all but died down. A corner by Kevin Breeze found John France but he was wide with the chance. Five minutes later Buckley took the lead, as Randles danced past a static defence and slid the ball across the eighteen yard box to Breeze who was coming in from the left to score 1-0. Glantraeth's immediate response was to go up the other end of the field where they won a corner which was taken by Richard F.Owen, he found Kevin Roberts who glanced a header that Buckley's defence were lucky to clear. Randles for Buckley then forced Dave Ball into an excellent save from a header. Glantraeth Manager then made a triple substitution to try and change the game. On 70 minutes Glantraeth should have equalised as Richard F.Owen put a ball across the box to Richard Owen who leaning back saw his shot sail over the crossbar. On 80 minutes Glantraeth then won another corner, with Kevin Roberts off the pitch Nigel Barry took charge sending the ball over for Martin Bohana one of the substitutes not long on he headed back across the goal and Richard Owen with an acrobatic overhead kick equalised for the home side 1-1. At the other end Dave Ball was once again called upon to save well this time from Kevin Breeze with his outstretched foot. As Buckley piled on the pressure it took a last gasp saving tackle by Bohana on Randles when he was bearing down on goal, and two fantastic reflex saves from Man of the Match Dave Ball to deny Randles and Breeze. Glantraeth hung on for a share of the points.

Glantraeth :- Dave Ball, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones (Simon Kay 66), Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen (Martin Bohana 66), Nigel Barry, Robert Williams, Richard. F. Owen, Richard Owen, Kevin Roberts (Adrian Jurkowski 66), Paul Rowlands.

Buckley ;- Andy Hughes, Ben McKean, Michael Sawtell, Steve McGowan, Steve Hughes, Kevin Breeze, Richard Smart, Mike Lewies, John France, Graham Randles, Rob Whyte. Subs: James Morton, Lee Stevens, Julian Pepper.

Goalscorers :- Glantraeth Richard Owen (80) Buckley Kevin Breeze (60)