Cymru Alliance
18 August 2007
Glantraeth 3 Flint Town United 2
Report by Jeff Scott

A winning start to the 2007/2008 campaign for Paul Whelan's new look Glantraeth team against last seasons third placed club Flint Town United. No less than five players made their debut for the club. Goalkeeper Richard Hall had a steady game and the central defencive partnership of Jason Thomas and Llion Davies coped with everything that Flint could muster. Chris Saxon the youngster signed from rivals Llangefni Town got on the score sheet but his overzealous celebrations in scoring the winner by taking his shirt off and waving it over his head got him a second yellow card and subsequent sending off in injury time. Player of the year Darren Jones also had a very good game. Gerallt Jones and Richard F. Owen put in some excellent tackles and Kevin Roberts and youngster Osian Pritchard tried to keep the Flint side on their toes throughout.

It took all of 30 seconds for the game to spring into life as Darren Johnson opened the scoring for the visitors following a goalmouth scramble, home keeper Richard Hall was brave at the first challenge in the air and looked to have been fouled however the ball fell to Hughes who stroked the ball into the net from ten yards out. Hardly ten minutes were on the clock before the home side found themselves further behind as a brilliant individual effort by the lively Andy McCoy put the visitors in the driving seat. Kevin Roberts responded at the other end by firing straight at keeper Alan Jones. Youngster Chris Saxon then had a chance well saved by Jones. Kevin Roberts after 18 minutes then pulled a goal back beating the defence and rounding keeper Jones before firing into an empty net. Within three minutes the Bodorgan side were on level terms following a free kick by Darren Jones who found ex Llangefni Town forward Gerallt Jones who headed into the net past the Flint Town custodian. In the final minute of a very interesting half Richard F. Owen then tested the keeper but his shot was just wide of the upright.

The second half proved to be less lively as both teams seemed struggled to cope with the stop start nature of the game constant injury's and a number of bookings for both sides did not help. Andy McCoy fired wide in the first minute of the second period and there was not much to report until the final 15 minutes Emyr Rowlands went on a run and won a corner from which Gerallt Jones saw an effort go wide. Within a couple of minutes another well worked Kevin Roberts corner saw Paul Whelan who had come cause confusion in the penalty area as he played a dummy the whole defence along with Glantraeth's attack stood still as the ball flew across the area Keeper Richard was then called upon to save well from Beck as Flint looked for the winning goal. Deep into injury time Glantraeth won a free kick on the half way line. Jason Thomas picked out the run of Chris Saxon who glanced a header over the advancing keeper to make the scoreline 3-2. His celebrations were short lived as the official gave him a second yellow followed by a red card for taking his shirt off and waving it above his head . Flint then threw everything they had at Glantraeth in the hope of salvaging a point as the official played another four minutes of added on time, the Glantraeth defence held solid as they booked their first points of the new season.

Credit to the lads for turning around a game that looked to be lost early on, they dug deep and never gave up lets keep it going against Bodedern on Wednesday.

Glantraeth: Richard Hall, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Jason Thomas, Llion Davies, Richard F Owen, Mark Owens (Paul Whelan 75), Chris Saxon, Gerallt Jones, Kevin Roberts, Osian Pritchard.