Cymru Alliance League
17 April 2006
Bala 1 Glantraeth 4

The supporters turned out in their numbers in what a Bala official described as one of their better supported games of the season. The showery weather did not deter them as they witnessed what was to be a rehearsal of the Roger Jones Builders Merchants Alliance Challenge Cup Final.
First chance fell on 15 minutes as a Nigel Barry free kick found Gareth Davies whose chance was saved by Paul Evans the Bala Town custodian. A Warren Gibbs free kick then worked the keeper before play swung to the other end and in almost their first attack of the game a ball clipped into the area was glanced past Steve Thomas in Glantraeth's goal for the opening goal. Sensing something was on the cards Bala pushed men forward to test the Glantraeth defence. On 30 minutes after good movement down the right wing Richard Hughes put in a good cross that Rob Williams headed over the bar. On 38 minutes Glantraeth were back on level terms after Simon Kay put a good ball down the right which Nigel Barry took to the bye line, the keeper came too far out and he left his goal unguarded Nigel put over a good cross met by Rob Williams with a looping header to make it 1-1. Craig Laughton shot wide just before the break.
The second half was a storming affair with Glantraeth taking the game to Bala, and started to play some good football. Steve Fisher shot over before on 61 minutes Glantraeth took the lead a good move involving Darren Jones who found Emyr Rowlands who had come on as substitute he went down the line past the last man ad delivered a perfect cross to Richard Hughes who headed into the top corner. Within two minutes Glantraeth increased their lead as Rob Williams fed a ball through to Richard Hughes and he drew the keeper shot at an angle into the net to make it 3-1 to the visitors. Shell shocked Bala went even further behind on 74 minutes when what can only be described as a training ground move with a free kick saw Darren Gowans draw a defender a way Nigel Barry pass the ball to Man of the Match Rob Williams with his back to goal he turned put in a cross o the far post where Mark Thomas was waiting to head in to make it 4-1. Colin Caton then threw on two of his subs in an attempt to salvage something , but the damage was done. Darren Gowans almost got another goal in the dying minute but the chance flew wide of the upright. Glantraeth now stretch their unbeaten run to six matches in league and cup.


Jeff Scott