Cymru Alliance
17 Jan 2009
Flint Town Utd 7 Glantraeth 1
Report by Stan Strickland

With Gareth Roberts attending his final game as manager after resigning midweek there was an unreal atmosphere about this game and once the second goal went in it became an easy stroll for an impressive Flint side.

Glantraeth were under attack from the off with keeper Marc Newbould twice making fine saves from Paul Williams then the same forward shooting wide from a good position. Williams was not to be denied however as he put Flint ahead on 11 minutes firing in an angled shot from the right that found the far corner of the net.

The visitors quickly replied with a shot from Emyr Rowlands that went over after good work by Adam Jones but it was 2-0 to the home side in the 25th minute with an unfortunate own goal. Gareth Owen headed the ball back to Newbould but the Glan keeper had advanced quickly off his line and the ball passed over him and trickled into the empty goal.

A good run by Bryn Jones led to a cross that Kevin Roberts just failed to meet as Glan attempted to repair the damage but it was soon Flint once more in the ascendancy with Adam Jones doing well to clear off the line from Sean Beck. On 34 minutes the ball broke kindly in the area for Paul Williams to score his second and four minutes later Sean Beck got on the scoresheet as he met a long ball to head past Newbould.

A brief spell of pressure from the Anglesey side led to Bryn Jones having a shot saved then an effort from Gareth Owen was deflected over.

Newbould made a good save from Johnny Hill as the second period got underway while at the other end Chris Evans cut inside only to see his shot blocked. The Glan keeper was constantly in action and again was down quickly to save from Hill on 63 minutes but he had no chance five minutes later as Beck set up Jack Abrahams for an easy conversion.

There was no lack of effort in the Glantraeth ranks despite the heavy pitch with Emyr Rowlands shooting just past a post on 70 minutes but most of the action continued to be around the opposite goal with Newbould three times in as many minutes making fine saves from first Beck and twice to thwart Hill.

The pressure told again on 77 minutes as Abrahams was this time the provider for Beck to slide the ball home from close in.

Glan continued to give their all with Anthony twice threatening as the game entered the final ten minutes and there was some reward for the bodorgan boys five minutes from time as substitute Jarlath Glynnís fine ball in from the right was expertly finished by Emyr Rowlands.

Beck completed his hat-trick with the final kick of the game to complete a miserable afternoon for the visitors.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, David Hughes, Adam Jones (Jarlath Glynn 54), Ephrim McFadden, Gareth Owen, Emyr Rowlands, Bryn Jones, Chris Saxon, Anthony Hughes, Kevin Roberts, Chris Evans.