Cymru Alliance
16 December 2006
Glantraeth 1 Holyhead Hotspur 2
Report by Jeff Scott

Glantraeth were today beaten by a Holyhead side that thoroughly deserved their victory. Always first to the ball they completely knocked Glantraeth off their stride. On a poor pitch passed playable earlier in the day Glantraeth had to be thankful for Dave Ball to pull off a string of fine saves othewise the scoreline would have been higher. In goal for Hotspur was veteran shot stopper Mervyn Williams standing in for suspended Mike Doutch, it would not have mattered who Holyhead had put in goal as the Glantraeth could not combine to create any real clear cut chances.

It was not until the 90th minute when the home side scored a consolation goal after pushing up Warren Gibbs into a forward position. The home side were guilty of some very sloppy play giving the ball away far to often and inviting pressure from the lively young Holyhead side. Ian Williams should have scored as early as the third minute but blazed over the bar when well placed. Nigel Barry played a square pass to Richard F. Owen but he screwed the chance well wide. A Craig Roberts effort forced the only real save of the game from Mervyn Williams in the 13th minute of the match. Glantraeth then put a great move together involving Rob Williams and Craig Roberts before Nigel Barry hit a chance over the bar. Ian Williams a thorn in the Glantraeth defence all afternoon with his enthusiastic running then saw a good effort blocked by Gareth Owen.

Holyhead took the lead on 37 minutes, a ball that looked to be going out for a corner stuck in the mud the Glantraeth defender turned his back as Curt Williams crossed for Dean Garmey to prod home from close range. In the final minute of the half Dave Ball was called upon to make a fantastic save tipping the ball over the bar following Mike Edwards cross to namesake Tom Edwards who headed powerfully towards the goal.

Things did not get any better for the Bodorgan boys in the second period Warren Gibbs had a header following a Richard F.Owen corner then Dave Ball pulled off yet another fantastic save this time from Curt Williams and a couple of minutes later he made another save but the ball fell to Dean Garmey whose shot was blocked by Adrian Jurkowski as panic set in the home defence.

Nigel Barry was wide with a speculative effort, but it was the visitors who went further ahead following a goalmouth scramble with Tom Nathan Edwards proding home from close range. Glantraeth then lost the ball after a throw in and Ian Williams once again broke through and with on Dave Ball to beat saw the home keeper pull off yet another brilliant save. As the game was drawing to a close Curt Williams broke on the left and hit a powerful shot which once again Dave Ball saved. Glantraeth can be thankful that they have found such a good goalkeeper following the broken ankle sustatined in the Mynydd Isa game by regular Steve Thomas. The game was all but over when Warren Gibbs who had been pushed into a forward pulled a consolation goal back with a drive from the edge of the penalty area. Glantraeth can have no complaints they were beaten on the day by a better side,they must now pick themselves up and concentrate on getting the full three points in the next game against Llanfair.P.G

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones (Simon Kay 73), Warren Gibbs, Craig Roberts, Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Richard F Owen, Richard Owen, Adrian Jurkowski (Osian Pritchard 73), Gareth Owen.