Welsh Cup 1st Round
16 September 2006
Glantraeth 3 Bodedern 3 (after extra-time)
Bodedern won 4-3 on penalties

The glorious sunshine brought out a fine crowd at Glantraeth's Bodorgan base for this eagerly awaited Round One Welsh Cup Fixture. It turned out to be a very exciting game with end-to-end play and both teams giving their all in this passionate local derby. At the end of the day Bodedern just edged out the League Champions in the lottery of the penalty shoot-out after both teams had battled out a 3 -3 draw in normal and extra time. Both sides also finished the game with ten men Mark Thomas for the hosts received two yellow cards in the dying minutes of normal time and then inside three minutes of extra time Trystan Owen was sent off for the Bodedern team.

First to show were Glantraeth with a Kevin Roberts long range shot going over the bar. On seven minutes a Rob Williams corner eluded the whole Bodedern rearguard and waiting just outside the six yard box was Nigel Barry who rifled his shot into the top of the net. Barry almost made it two severl minutes but his header from Rob Williams cross rose over the bar. Andrew Jones for the visitors hit a shot that took a deflection just past the upright in a spell of Bodedern pressure. Then Corey Sinnott saw his attempt comfortably saved by Neil Hughes. On 28 minutes Craig Evans levelled matters heading in from a corner with the home defence static. A minute later ex-Glantraeth player Gafyn Jones blazed wildly over and at the opposite end Darren Jones saw his shot well saved by Gareth Roberts. Corey Sinnott then took a very well taken free kick that bent around the wall and beat Neil Hughes into the top corner as the visitors took the lead for the first time. However just before half-time the hosts were back on level terms at Richard Owen squared a ball to Kevin Roberts who slid the ball past Roberts the Bodedern custodian to make it 2-2 at the interval.

Within a minute of the restart first Kevin Roberts then Emyr Rowlands went close. On 60 minutes Richard Owen found Roberts but he scuffed the shot at the vital moment. Then ex-Bodedern player Paul Rowlands saw his good effort blocked after good play. A flowing move involving several players ended in Gareth OJ Roberts making a full length save from Nigel Barry. Corey Sinnott then exploited some space ran at the home defence and placed a shot into the far corner of the net to take the lead once more. Glantraeth were not finished and within the minute were back on level terms a ball from Rob Williams found Mark Thomas he scored to make it 3-3. A cross from Emyr Rowlands found Richard Owen but his header was wide of the post, and Kevin Roberts fired a free kick wildly over the bar. The last ten minutes saw some frantic play as Rob Williams found Kevin Roberts who turned and planted an effort wide. Mark Thomas was then dismissed by the official Andy Harms before a Rob Williams chance deflected off a defender and into the arms of Gareth Roberts.

The game then went into extra time and although Glantraeth had the bulk of the play they just could not get that vital goal. Trystan Owen was sent off before Paul Rowlands tried along range shot that Roberts saved well. Paul Whelan did a double substitution bringing on fresh legs in an attempt to secure the game, within seconds of coming on Osian Pritchard hit a cross that landed just on top of the goal net. Pritchard then had a glorious chance to make a name for himself just failing to connect with an excellent by line cross from Anthony Hughes. Pritchard was determined to get a goal and he forced Gareth Roberts into yet another good save on 112 minutes. The supporters were certainly getting value for their money in what was a fantastically entertaining game. Fellow sub Anthony then forced Roberts into another good save as Glantraeth finished strongly. Finally Paul Rowlands hit a dipping shot before Bohana headed wide from Nigel Barry's cross. The stalemate continued as the two teams headed for the lottery of the penalty shoot out.

First up was Captain Warren Gibbs who missed with his chance, Neil Hughes then saved from Gafyn Jones. Emyr Rowlands for the hosts saw Roberts save with his outstretched foot. Corey Sinnott then put the visitors in front with his well taken penalty. Anthony Hughes maded it 1-1. Craig Evans then sent young Neil Hughes the wrong way. Paul Rowlands put his penalty out of reach of the outstretched hand or Roberts. Barry Jones made it 3-2 to Bodedern. Nigel Barry pulled it back to 3-3. Needing to score with the last attempt Tomos Jones was the hero for the visitors blasting his effort into the net to make it 4-3 on penalties.

Glantraeth go out at the first hurdle this season but we wish Bodedern good luck in the next round whoever they may come up against.

Glantraeth: Neil Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen (Martin Bohana 45), Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Mark Thomas, Richard Owen (Anthony Hughes 102), Kevin Roberts (Osian Pritchard 100).