Cymru Alliance
15 March 2008
Denbigh Town 0 Glantraeth 2
Report by Stan Strickland

A third successive away win for Glantraeth as two late goals at Denbigh gave them a fine victory despite being without regular keeper Gareth OJ Roberts and leading scorer Jonathan Peris Jones.

Playing up a pronounced slope at Denbigh’s tidy Central Park ground Paul Rowlands came close to finding Chris Saxon with an early cross then stand-in keeper Gerallt Jones was out quickly to break up a threatening move from the home side.

Gerallt Jones, clearly not fazed in his new role, then distinguished himself on the quarter hour mark with a fine save at the feet of Lucas Brookes only to see the ball spin off to Matt Gatfield whose effort on goal came back off a post.

Gareth Wyn Roberts and Paul Rowlands were linking up well on the right for Glantraeth and one shot on the turn from Wyn Roberts sailed over without testing home keeper Jamie Hulse. After that early let off Glan were looking comfortable but in truth there was little goalmouth action at either end with both defences looking solid.

A well timed tackle from Llion Davies on 31 minutes prevented ex-Bangor City midfielder Kenny Burgess breaking through but it was Glantraeth who were taking control as the interval approached with Paul Rowlands firing in a shot that passed harmlessly over.

The visitors opened the second period strongly and one flowing move concluded with a delicate chip from Rob Williams that looked destined for Wyn Roberts only for Denbigh defender Jamie Hobson to get the slightest of touches with his head to divert the ball away from Roberts. Paul Tilbury broke clear on 56 minutes but his cross found little support in the middle and a minute later Emyr Rowlands threaded a ball through to Chris Saxon whose quickly taken shot was too high.

The home side missed a chance on 62 minutes as a cross from the right found newly introduced substitute Ian Evans but he just couldn’t adjust to get firm contact on the ball and a good chance passed by. A minute later the same player had another shot that came back off Gerallt Jones only for Lucas Brookes to slot the rebound wide.

Despite these two let-offs Glan were now looking the most likely winners and the back four were giving superb protection to their emergency keeper who except for that early first half save had hardly been tested.

Gareth Wyn Roberts was having his best game since joining Glantraeth and almost opened the scoring on 66 minutes, cutting in from the left before curling the ball just over.

Play was really being stretched now and a big improvement on the opening half. Luke O’Mahoney fired well over for Denbigh then Chris Saxon was only a couple of feet off target from a Wyn Roberts cross.

Manager Paul Whelan freshened things up in the closing stages by bringing on Osian Pritchard and David Alan Jones as Glan sensed victory was in sight.

With two minutes of normal time remaining Glantraeth had a stroke of good fortune as the referee overruled his assistant to give a corner kick on the right when the ball clearly went out off a Glantraeth player. Richard Owen’s corner kick was a real tester and curled directly into goal at the near post to give the Anglesey side the lead their second half performance had deserved. A minute later a ball was half cleared by Denbigh and fell for Paul Rowlands who took careful aim before striking a volley into the bottom corner.

Glantraeth: Gerallt Jones, Paul Tilbury, Darren Jones (David Alan Jones 85), Llion Davies, Sion Parry (Osian Pritchard 79), Richard F Owen, Rob Williams, Chris Saxon, Emyr Rowlands, Gareth Wyn Roberts, Paul Rowlands.