Cymru Alliance League Cup
14 October 2006
Glantraeth 5 Guilsfield 3 (after extra-time)

Glantraeth began their defence of the Roger Jones Builders Merchants League Cup which they won last season in sensational fashion coming back from two goals down to eventually win the match after extra time 5-3.

Making their debut's were Goalkeeper Dave Ball who joins us from Llanrug and also Polish midfield player Adrian Jurkowski who has signed from Polish Divison 4 side KS Sparta Paczkow. Adrian's International clearance finally came through after a delay. Simon Kay was also making his home debut after signing back from rivals Llangefni Town.

The game itself was a treat to watch with some well taken goals and some excellent end to end play involving both sides. The first action being a header from Rob Williams which was well cleared by Guilsfield's defence. On 20 minutes the visitors took the lead after poor defending by the home side saw the ball first of all crossed from the left then swung back in from the right for Tom Coulson to head in past Ball Glantraeth's keeper. Five minutes later Matt Newton put a free kick just over the bar before Rob Williams with the best chance of the game was week with a header from a Paul Rowlands cross. Kevin Roberts then put a free kick wide of the upright. Richard Owen should have equalised but his effort went wide of the post when well placed. Half time 1-0 to the visitors.

At the start of the second Mark Thomas fluffed a glorious chance with the goal wide open. Richard Owen was then put through by Emyr Rowlands but he had no luck and managed to put the ball wide of the upright.Guilsfield were awarded a penalty after Cookeson tangled with Gareth Owen and Warren Gibbs in the area and up stepped Graeme McGill who blasted past Dave Ball to make it 2-0 to the Mid Wales side. Rob Williams then put another good chance over the bar before the official missed what looked a blatant penalty for the home side. In an attempt to turn things around Manager Paul Whelan brough on new signing Jurkowski, a minute later a push in the back of Richard Owen by a Guilsfield defender in the area led to another claim for a penalty but the official waved away protests. On 75 mins a superb cross by the young Polish lad found Mark Thomas who headed home to pull a goal back for Glantraeth. Two minutes later the home side were level Rob Williams pulling a ball back for Thomas to get his second goal of the game as he drove the ball from the edge of the area past Guilsfield keeper Chris Williams. The goal brought rapturous applause from the home crowd who could see the introduction of Jurkowski had made a big difference as Glantraeth upped their play. Guilsfield were back in front on 80 minutes as a free kick driven from the left found Martin Evans who headed home. Glantraeth had a chance to equalise almost immediately as Rob Willaims was flattened. Richard Owen took it but Williams save at the post. The home side responded to this by winning a corner from which Thomas completed his hat trick with a looping header over the keeper to level matters. With time fast running out Richard Owen had a header saved by Williams.

Two minutes into extra time Emyr Rowlands tried his luck but the chance sailed over the bar. Then a Nigel Barry well taken free kick was met by Thomas for his fourth goal of the game when he headed home to put Glantraeth into the lead 4-3. In the second period of extra time Jurkowski's fairy tail debut was completed as he was put clean through by Paul Rowlands pass and drew the keeper and slid the ball past him to finish well a complete the victory for Glantraeth. Further chances fell to Rob Williams and Mark Thomas but the home side are now safely in the hat for the round two draw.

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen (Adrian Jurkowski 61), Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Mark Thomas, Richard Owen (Martin Bohana 109), Kevin Roberts (Simon Kay 69), Paul Rowlands.