Cymru Alliance
13 October 2007
Llanfair PG 4 Glantraeth 4
Report by Stan Strickland

An amazing game was turned on its head as Llanfair snatched a draw in added time after Glan had looked certain of victory. A first half performance that must rank as their best of the season saw Glantraeth in total control and deservedly three goals ahead and with only 15 minutes remaining they still looked well in command.

The visitors went ahead after 14 minutes as Jon Peris Jones swung in a free kick from the right that Chris Saxon met perfectly to power a downward header into the net. Five minutes later Saxon almost added another as he connected with an in-swinging corner from Kevin Roberts only to see his header come back off a post.

It was all Glantraeth and they went two ahead on 32 minutes as Rob Williams headed the ball into the path of Kevin Roberts whose first time shot left home keeper Ben Heald stranded.

Llanfair could make no progress against a dominant Glantraeth defence in which skipper Gareth Owen was winning just about everything in the air.

Kevin Roberts had a great chance to add a third on 42 minutes after being put through on goal but shot over as the ball bobbled on the uneven surface. Two minutes later it was 3-0 as Gareth Owen leapt to meet a Richard F Owen free kick and as his header was about to cross the line Gerallt Jones ran in to apply the finishing touch.

A rare home attack saw Tony Williams fire just over in the final action of the first half.

It should have been four within five minutes of the restart as a short corner led to Jon Peris Jones finding Rob Williams unmarked with the goal gaping wide open, any kind of contact would have meant a goal but the ball passed harmlessly the wrong side of the post.

A spell of pressure from the home side saw them pull a goal back through a Neil Hughes header, the goal being given on the signal of an assistant referee although Glan’s players were adamant the ball did not cross the line.

On 61 minutes Glan were awarded a penalty after a trip on Gerallt Jones only for Ben Heald to go full length and save Gareth Owen’s spot kick, a third successive penalty miss, then Rob Williams set up Kevin Roberts whose well struck shot found Heald perfectly positioned.

Jon Peris Jones was sending in a stream of tempting crosses and Paul Tilbury headed inches over on 72 minutes and a minute later another a Peris Jones cross was headed home by Rob Williams to put Glan into what seemed an unassailable position.

Once again Glan were guilty of sloppy finishing on 75 minutes as Gerallt Jones crossed to give Chris Saxon an invitation to head home but his usual accuracy deserted him and another chance was wasted.

With Glantraeth seemingly coasting to victory the game was turned on its head as Kevin Roberts and Billy Evans scored for the home side in just over a minute to put them right back in the game, both goals coming far too easily.

Just when it looked like Glan had survived a nervous last twelve minutes Kevin Roberts struck an equaliser with a shot over keeper Gareth Hughes in the third minute of added time. Even then the visitors almost won it at the death as yet another perfect cross from Peris Jones was met by Emyr Rowlands but Heald was down quickly to save.

It felt like a defeat, to play so well for so long and only come away with a point was desperately disappointing. Credit to Llanfair PG for battling their way back into the game but it was unanimous amongst Glan players and supporters alike following the game that we simply threw two points away.

Glantraeth: Gareth Hughes, Jon Peris Jones, Darren Jones (Nigel Barry 75), Llion Davies, Gareth Owen, Richard F Owen, Rob Williams (Paul Rowlands 84), Chris Saxon, Gerallt Jones (Emyr Rowlands 84), Kevin Roberts, Paul Tilbury.