Cymru Alliance League
13 May 2006
Glantraeth 3 Lex XI 1

Glantraeth rounded their season capturing the League Championship with a 3-1 win against Nigel Beaumont's Lex X1 side. This was the Bodorgan outfits eleventh win in thirteen games since the 1st April. A quite remarkable run considering that at that stage Buckley were on top of the league with 61 points and Glantraeth were way behind with 42 points. The final run in saw Glantraeth playing some excellent football and picking up a total of 28 points out of a total of thirty points in their last ten fixtures. Mark Thomas midfield finished as the third highest goalscorer in the Cymru Alliance. Rob Williams, Kevin Roberts, Richard Hughes, Craig Roberts were all in double figures in the goal scoring charts.
Onto the game in question which some thought would be a formality, but it was anything but, it is true that should Lex have won by 13-0 it would have meant Buckley would have been Champions, but in reality it was never going to be. Lex however under Nigel Beaumont are not a team to just roll over and although they took the lead 1-0 courtesy of Craig Formstone who broke free of the usual solid Glantraeth rearguard to shoot past Steve Thomas the Glantraeth custodian.Lex had to use their only substitute when Ray Jones was badly injured and an ambulance had to be called and he was taken to nearby Ysbyty Gwynedd. Mark Thomas in a rich vein of scoring tried a shot but was wide even though he managed to get round visiting keeper Scott Evans. Ten minutes later Evans was once more called upon to tip a Mark Thomas shot over the bar. Craig Roberts then tested the keeper the first chance wide the second the keeper somehow blocked. Then Evans having a busy time saved well from Warren Gibbs as the half was closing.
1-0 down at the break it was down to Paul to work the magic in the dressing room. The first action of the second period saw Warren Gibbs block a Joe Garner effort, before Mark Thomas pulled one back for the hosts. Thomas was in the right place to receive a squared ball from team mate Craig Roberts to lash home after 52 minutes. then a few minutes later after some good interplay between Thomas and Kevin Roberts who had come on at half time in a triple substitution along with Darren Jones and Emyr Rowlands Thomas got his second goal of the game to put Glantraeth back into the driving seat 2-1. Richard Hughes was once more out of luck as he blazed a good chance over. Craig Roberts also squandered a couple of good chances, one when one on one with the keeper. Lex were further rocked when one of their defenders Gavin Maloney had to leave the field with thirty minutes of the game still left to play. Richie mcNeil was unlucky as he hit a long range effort that clipped the post with Thomas beaten. The last twenty minutes Glantraeth could have scored a hat full of goals as they took advantage of their one man more. Darren Jones found himself in good positions twice but wasted the chances. Visiting keeper Evans kept out Craig Roberts well placed effort. Nigel Barry should have scored but his header went wide with the keeper stranded. On another day Richard Hughes and Craig Roberts would both probably have come up with a hat trick of goals, but it was not to be. The game was finally put to bed after a rash challenge on Richard Hughes saw the official point to the penalty spot. Darren Jones stepped up to score to the delight of the home supporters. The Championship was now firmly in the hands of the Bodorgan based club. Part two of the dream had now become reality as Glantraeth became only the first Anglesey based club to capture the Double of LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP AND CUP DOUBLE in the same season. Very well done to Paul Whelan and the Players all the hard work this season has now payed off.

Jeff Scott