Cymru Alliance League Cup Semi-Final
12 April 2006
Llandyrnog United 0 Glantraeth 1

Roger Jones Builders Merchants
Alliance League Challenge Cup Semi Final
At Maesdu Park, home of Llandudno Town F.C
Wednesday 12th April 2006

The windy conditions at Maesdu Park certainly were a leveller for both teams in this Cup Semi Final between Glantraeth and Llandyrnog United. Both teams struggled in the blustery wind that seemed to be changing direction at will. The first opportunity of the game fell to Glantraeth's Rob Williams and although it was only a half chance he made Jamie Hulse make the save. Almost twenty minutes passed then before there was any real action as passes went astray and goal kicks either went out on the full or could not even reach half way. Then Rob Williams tried a free kick that was saved before Simon Hulse at the other end forced Glantraeth keeper Steve Thomas into a good save. Kevin Roberts on 32 Min's chipped a ball over which Nigel Barry just clipped over the crossbar. Half time and the score was 0-0.
Within two minutes of the restart Glantraeth now kicking into the strong wind saw a good move between Mark Thomas who slid a ball through to Craig Roberts he then squared to Nigel Barry who was just about on the penalty spot and unmarked where he rifled into the roof of the net to put Glantraeth 1-0 up. At the other end a free kick given away in a dangerous position saw Simon Hulse hit a free kick into the defencive wall. Lee Dixon then with a rush of blood shot wildly over from a Mark Thomas cross. Anthony Marshal then shot well wide before the Llandyrnog Manager John James made a double substitution on 75 minutes in an attempt to get back into the game bringing on Stuart Vernon and John Jones. Paul Whelan then replaced Kevin Roberts with Richard Hughes. In the 80Th minute a ball over the top found Craig Roberts but his shot was deflected for a corner, from the resulting corner taken by Richard Hughes the keeper Jamie Hulse did very well to save. Richard Hughes then showed a turn of pace as he skipped past the last man only to shoot wildly over at an awkward angle. Llandyrnog's Manager made the final throw of the dice with three minutes using his last sub bring on Dave Ross Williams for Roger Beech. What followed was an unbelievable seven minutes of added on time which can only have been for the ball sailing out on the full in high winds. A frantic final flurry by Llandyrnog and a couple of corners in the last minute but GLANTRAETH HELD ON. Keeper Steve Thomas it was noted did not have a single shot to save in the second half. Glantraeth now meet Bala Town in the Final of the Roger Jones Builders Merchants cup to be played at Llandudno.


Jeff Scott