NWCFA Challenge Cup Round 5
11 March 2006
Glantraeth 1 Holyhead 4

This eagerly awaited Anglesey derby tie in the Amicus sponsored North Wales Challenge Cup fifth round pitched Holyhead Hotspur who had only won 3 games out of 24 against a Glantraeth team who had not kicked a ball in anger for a month due to various postponments. Hotspur had a mixture of youth and experience in their side and in Oldham bound Kenleigh Owen, along with young prospect Curt Williams and also the confident a lively Ian Williams they certainly bely their lowly league position. Glantraeth started the game brightly enough and they created enough chances in the first period to have won the game convincingly. Simon Kay had the first chance but shot straight at keeper Mike Doutch. Kevin Roberts then went agonisingly close as his free kick bounced off the crossbar. Curt Williams then broke and with only keeper Steve Thomas to beat he shot over the bar. Kevin Roberts then hit another good chance wide, and was close with a free kick before on 31 minutes he took another free kick which found Mark Thomas lurking unmarked at the far post to head in and put the home side into the lead. Steven Owen was then tackled well just in the area but still managed to get a shot in while lying prone on the ground but it was straight at Thomas in Glantraeth's goal. Glantraeth pushed for the second goal and just before the break Kevin Roberts shot was gathered well by Doutch. Then Mike Doutch pulled off a brilliant save to deny Nigel Barry tipping his fierce shot over the bar. On half - time Nigel Barry then hit a volley wide of the post.
Within a minute of the break Simon Kay hit a good effort wide fo the post and Craig Roberts broke but the chance went as his first touch let him down. A good move then between Thomas, Kevin Roberts and namesake Craig saw Kevin Roberts shot go inches wide. On 57 Minutes Spurs equalised after Mark Thomas clumsily brought down the lively Kenleigh Owen in the area. Up stepped ex Bangor lad Terry Williams who place the ball into the bottom corner out of reach of Thomas in Glantraeth's goal 1-1 and game on. Kevin Roberts tried a snap shot on 63 minutes before Hotspur took the lead a well taken free kick by ex Glantraeth favourite Jonathan Parry found Curt Williams who executed a neat back header that was just beyond the reach of Steve Thomas. Doutch then pulled off yet another excellent save to deny Kevin Roberts. With the game going into the last ten minutes Ian Williams got through but shot wide and Rob Williams for Glantraeth saw a cross come shot shot rattle the post. then in the last minute the game was over for the Bodorgan side as Oldham bound youngster Kenleigh Owen nipped round the back of the Glantraeth rearguard to draw the keeper and slip the ball past him 3-1. In added on time the same player Kenleigh Owen grabbbed his second goal in almost identical circumstances to his third goal rounding Glantraeth's back four to make the scoreline a flattering 4-1 to the visitors.

Glantraeth: Thomas, Dixon, Kay, Gibbs, Parry, Rowlands, Williams, M.Thomas, C.Roberts, K.Roberts Barry, Owen, Whelan, Jones, Hughes.

Holyhead: Doutch, Dumbarton, Jones, Parry, M. Doutch, Kelly, Hodgkinson, T. Williams, Owen, C.Williams, K.Owen, I.Williams, G.Boulton, Bailey.

Glantraeth: M.Thomas
Holyhead: T.Williams (pen)
K.Owen (2)

Jeff Scott