Cymru Alliance
10 November 2007
Llandyrnog United 1 Glantraeth 3
Report by Stan Strickland

With 12 minutes remaining and the game tied at one-apiece it looked like being another frustrating afternoon for Glan only for their pressure to finally be rewarded as Chris Saxon turned and fired home following a cross from substitute Kevin Roberts. Two minutes later it was game over as Kevin Roberts bundled the ball over the line after a Jon Peris Jones corner kick had caused confusion in the home ranks.

Llandyrnog went into the game on the back of a six goal romp against Flint last week but right from the off Glantraeth looked sharp and determined with Richard F Owen twice going close in the opening six minutes. With virtually their first attack Dyrnog took the lead as giant striker Jon Slater stole in from the blind side to slide the ball home at the far post.

Jon Peris Jones met a Paul Rowlands corner head on in the 13th minute only for home keeper Ian Davies to make a flying save an push the ball to safety. Four minutes later a Darren Jones centre found Nigel Barry in space but he couldn’t bring the ball under control quickly enough and was closed down.

Well on top it appeared a matter of time before the visitors pulled level and a foul on Chris Saxon on 27 minutes led to a free kick five yards outside the area. Jon Peris Jones took charge and curled a perfect free kick into the bottom corner giving Davies no chance.

Gareth Wyn Roberts, making his first start, had a header saved on the half-hour mark then Stuart Vernon fired wide for Dyrnog but it was still Glan in control and they came close to taking the lead nine minutes before the break as Rob Williams flighted a ball over to Wyn Roberts who saw his shot blocked from only a yard out.

A tremendous run down the left by Dyrnog’s Craig Wilkinson almost led to a goal as he pulled the ball back for Chris Williams whose side footed effort from twenty yards thumped the crossbar.

The second period saw Glantraeth in almost total command. On 51 minutes a Paul Rowlands cross was just out of reach of Rob Williams and Wyn Roberts, then Nigel Barry had a shot charged down and a Peris Jones free kick was tipped on to the crossbar by Davies.

Time and time Glan were getting their crosses in without applying the finishing touch and there were shades of the Denbigh game as despite their monopoly of possession the result was still in doubt. However, this time there would be a happy ending.

A surging run by Emyr Rowlands almost broke through on 67 minutes and three minutes later there was panic in the home ranks as a defender headed a Peris Jones free kick against his own post.

Two goals in two minutes by Saxon and Kevin Roberts left Llandyrnog a well beaten side to give Glantraeth a fully deserved victory after outplaying the Denbighshire side for long periods and on this form they cannot yet be written off from fighting their way back into contention for a place amongst the leaders with the top two both dropping points over the weekend.

Glantraeth: Gareth O J Roberts, Jon Peris Jones, Darren Jones, Llion Davies, Emyr Rowlands, Richard F Owen, Rob Williams (Kevin Roberts 75), Chris Saxon, Paul Rowlands (Jason Thomas 87), Gareth Wyn Roberts (Osian Pritchard 90), Nigel Barry.