Cymru Alliance
9 September 2006
Glantraeth 1 Guilsfield 0

It took a last ditch goalline clearance by Emyr Rowland, and a fantastic save from young goalkeeper Neil Hughes to deny Guilsfield any points in this closely fought encounter. Glantraeth had the majority of play in the first half, but in the last twenty minutes it was backs to the wall stuff as they found themselves with some staunch defending to do with Man of the Match Martin Bohana, Emyr Rowlands, Gareth Owen, Darren Jones and Warren Gibbs all playing their part. Although Glantraeth won 6-1 in last seasons Welsh Cup against Guilsfield, the two league encounters were much closer affairs with a draw at home and Glantraeth just shading it it the away fixture. Paul Rowlands and Kevin Roberts were unavailable, but returning after missing the game with Mynydd Isa were central defender Warren Gibbs and Rob Williams.

Guilsfield who finished in a creditable 4th position last season were the first to show as on 5 minutes Craig Edwards tried his luck but his shot was comfortably saved by Neil Hughes standing in for Steve Thomas. Nigel Barry and Richard Owen had efforts go close before Warren Gibbs hit a tremendous shot following an Emyr Rowlands which was not dealt with by the Guilsfield defence. Richard Owen threw over a good cross but it was just above the head of Nigel Barry. Neil Hughes had to be sharp and pulled off a good save from Paul Herbert, then Mark Thomas headed over from a Mark Owens corner. On 36 minutes the home side took the lead as Gareth Owen picked out Mark Thomas whose flicked header fell to Rob Williams who raced to the edge of the area and drew Barton the ex-Shrewsbury Town player and slid the ball into the net. With the half almost completed Richard Owen should have made it 2-0 following good play by Richard Owen, RobWilliams and Mark Thomas as Richard Owen broke through and one on one with Barton hit a shot straight at the Guilsfield keeper.

Within a couple of minutes of the re-start Rob Williams turned and shot at the edge of the area but the shot was saved by Barton. A period of some thirty minutes then passed with so much as a shot at either keeper then Andy Reeve blazed over the bar on 72 Guilsfield threw everything they had at Glantraeth. The home side found themselves on the back foot at Tom Coulson drove a free kick over the bar. Glantraeth had another good chance as a ball to Mark Thomas from Rob Williams was squared to Richard Owen but leaning back he hit the chance over the bar. Rob Williams then saw a shot saved by Barton. On 82 minutes a free kick by Gareth Owen was headed on by Mark Thomas to Rob Williams who volleyed the chance over. In a final flurry Guilsfield then had three good chances to get something out of the game with Andy Reeve involved in all of them. First chance was a header which Neil Hughes did very well to tip over the bar, then Tim Nunnerley headed over following a Reeve corner . In injury time what looked a certain goal was cleared off the goal line by Emyr Rowlands as Reeve looked on in disbelief. As they say in football you have to take your chances Guilsfield will be kicking themselves that they did not get something out of the game, but Glantraeth's defence held firm.

Glantraeth: Neil Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen, Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Mark Thomas, Richard Owen (Paul Whelan 90), Mark Owens (Osian Pritchard 82), Martin Bohana.