Cymru Alliance League
9 May 2006
Buckley 2 Glantraeth 3

Having secured the League Cup last Saturday in a penalty shoot out, Glantraeth took a huge step of securing the League title when they defeated reigning champions Buckley Town 3-2 in a tense head to head winner take all match at the Globe Way last night. The win has moved the Islanders to the top of the table ahead of Buckley on goal difference and only a miracle defeat at the hands of Lex XI on Saturday will deny Glantraeth of bringing the crown back to Anglesey for the first time since 1995.
In an open match watched by a crowd of over 350, both sides began brightly but it was Glantraeth's Craig Roberts who wasted the game's first real opening when he found the side netting after 8 minutes when well placed. Ten minutes later, the striker made no mistake when he latched on to a long punt from keeper Steve Thomas to toe poke home from 10 yards past opposite minder Turner after the home defence had failed to clear.
The home side's first real chance on 23 minutes produced the equaliser when Rene Pinard interchanged passes with John Farrell whose low cross into the box found Simon Richards to turn home from close range. The hosts were now enjoying a purple patch applying heavy pressure on the visitors but Owen and Gibbs were again in commanding form at the heart of Glantraeth's rear guard. Then and against the run of play, in the 34th minute, Mark Thomas crossed from the left and found the home defence again all at sea. This allowed Roberts to steal in and steer the ball home from six yards to score his and Glantraeth's second. Buckley's problems went from bad to worse when barely 60 seconds later, the home defence were again at sixes and sevens and this allowed Rob Williams to make it 3-1 which Glantraeth took into the interval break.
Buckley had to come out for the second period looking for victory that would have guaranteed themselves the title and on 50 minutes, Rene Pinard narrowly failed to connect from a John Farrell cross with the goal at his mercy. With pressure mounting, Graham Randles gave the home side a glimmer of hope when midway through the second half he reduced the arrears by volleying home from the edge of the box with Glantraeth keeper Thomas stranded and a minute later Darren Jones kept Glantraeth in front when he cleared off his own goal line from Randles again. In the 75th minute, Glantraeth midfield player Rob Williams was dismissed by Referee Mark Petch for a wild challenge on Richards and despite constant pressure from the home side they failed to find a third as only a Steve McGowan effort, four minutes from time, was the closest they came. Buckley will now have to settle for second place should Glantraeth be beaten by thirteen clear goals.

Alun Foulkes