Cymru Alliance
8 December 2007
Prestatyn Town 4 Glantraeth 1
Report by Stan Strickland

You could not fail to come away from Bastion Road on Saturday without having been impressed that Prestatyn Town are a club that look geared for success on and off the pitch, the only stumbling block likely to be the inevitable battle they will face with close neighbours over erecting the floodlights needed for promotion.

Certainly on the day they were too good for Glantraeth although all four goals had an element of luck and even farce about them and who’s to say what might have happened if their second goal had been properly ruled out as striker Steve Bowes was allowed to run on and score despite being clear of the last defender at the moment the pass was made. (I was better positioned than the assistant referee!).

Glan got the start they just didn’t need as Gerallt Jones played the ball back to keeper Gareth OJ Roberts who miss-kicked on the slippery surface sending the ball straight to Bowes who just doesn’t refuse a gift like that. There were 21 seconds on the clock!

The home side were well on top with Glan taking time to settle, Ian Griffith going close on 14 minutes for Prestayn and a minute later a good move on the right saw Glantraeth threaten for the first time as Rob William’s cross just evaded Kevin Roberts.

It needed a last ditch tackle from Llion Davies to keep out Bowes then a tremendous run by Griffith led to Steve Hoult firing narrowly wide as the home side kept up the pressure.

The pitch was churning up badly though both sides were playing some good football with Glan now increasing their share of possession and they almost pulled level on 27 minutes as Jonathan Peris Jones drove the ball across the goal with Rob Williams just failing to convert. A minute later it was all square as Gareth Wyn Roberts created space for a cross from the left that was headed down by Paul Tilbury and Nigel Barry spun around and directed the ball past home keeper John Dunt.

The dangerous Dan Evans, playing wide on the right for Town, set up Bowes on 32 minutes but this time he delayed and the shot was blocked. However, he did get his second a minute later as he took advantage of no offside flag and finished with the killer instinct you would expect of the league’s leading scorer. Straight from the kick-off Evans struck a tremendous shot that came back off the crossbar and on 37 minutes Griffith fired wide from the edge of the area as Town finished the half strongly.

Glan responded seven minutes into the second period as Gerallt Jones turned his marker cleverly to get in a shot that was well saved by Dunt in the Town goal but their chances of getting something from the game looked over three minutes later as Prestatyn scored a third. A cross from Evans was met by David Hayes only for Gareth OJ Roberts to make a fine save at the foot of a post only for the ball to spin crazily upwards in the wind with Hayes reacting quickest to finish at the second attempt by hooking the ball into the roof of the net.

Now playing with the strong wind in their favour Prestatyn continued to look dangerous and a combination of keeper OJ Roberts and the woodwork were needed to keep out a shot from Griffith on the hour mark.

Paul Whelan rang the changes by pushing Jonathan Peris Jones up front with substitutes Chris Saxon and Paul Rowlands in support and the visitors began to enjoy their best period of the game with Peris Jones curling the ball just wide from a good position after a fine through ball by Saxon then Paul Rowlands’ snap shot was saved with some difficulty by Dunt.

There now looked more purpose about Glan’s attacking efforts on the heavy pitch and certainly Peris Jones looked comfortable in his forward role giving some food for thought, however, they had another let off on 75 minutes as the home side struck the woodwork for the third time, David Hayes heading against the bar.

Peris Jones held the ball up well for Kevin Roberts to shoot wide with ten minutes remaining then almost found Saxon with a ball curled around the back of the home defenders. OJ Roberts saved well from Bowes in the closing stages then with the game in the 92nd minute Bowes was gifted his third as a harmless looking free kick from wide out on the right evaded everyone before skidding under OJ Roberts and burying itself in the net.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Jonathan Peris Jones, Darren Jones, Llion Davies, Paul Tilbury, Richard F Owen, Rob Williams (Paul Rowlands 56), Gareth Wyn Roberts (Chris Saxon 63), Gerallt Jones (Emyr Rowlands 68), Kevin Roberts, Nigel Barry.