Roger Jones Builders Merchants
Cymru Alliance League Challenge Cup Round One
Queens Park 3 Glantraeth 4 a.e.t

Glantraeth put up a gutsy display in this League Cup Round 1 encounter against Queens Park, new boys of the Cymru Alliance League. Queens were staging their first fixture of the season at their new home The Queens Stadium, and with this in mind they were quick off the blocks whilst Glantraeth for the first period of the game were as the old saying goes "still on the bus". The danger signs were evident as early as the second minute as John Halton broke down the right and crossed to Queens Kevin Roberts who found himself in acres of space to slot past Glantraeth custodian Steve Thomas. Stung into action Mark Thomas saw an effort fly wide of the upright, and a long range shot by Aaron Taylor did not trouble Glantraeth. Emyr Rowlands, Kevin Roberts and Craig Roberts all tried their luck early on but to no avail. In the 25th minute Queens went 2-0 up as a similar move to their first goal saw them break down the right side of the field and a cross was met by Kevin Roberts who scored from 8yds. Glantraeth's Darren Jones then tried a shot and Craig Roberts had a goal disallowed for offside in the final minute of the half. It seemed a different Glantraeth side that emerged for the second half as the battle to get something from the game began. Craig Roberts hit a fierce drive that Queens keeper Patrick Evans tipped over, from the corner taken by Kevin Roberts, Mark Thomas flashed wide of the post. It was Thomas who started the comeback for Glantraeth when he pulled a goal back. It was a cracking effort hit from some 30yds out into the top corner giving the keeper no chance. Gareth Owen the gave a short back pass and with only keeper Steve Thomas to beat Kevin Roberts of Queens sky ed over the bar. On 61Min's Glantraeth had appeals for what looked like a penalty turned down by the official as Craig Roberts who was through on goal was brought down in the area. Nigel Barry then set up Glantraeth's Kevin Roberts but his effort went wide, before a quick break by Glantraeth saw Craig Roberts even the scores with a clinical finish 2-2, and the game was now on. The Roberts of both sides were cursing their luck as both teams tried to get the winner. Steve Thomas came to the rescue saving well from John Halton. On 85Min's it looked like game over as Craig Roberts won the ball and crossed for Kevin Roberts who executed his chance well to put Glantraeth 3-2 in the lead with only minutes remaining. But the drama was not yet over as in the final minute of the game John Halton put in a cross to the far post which was met by the head of Aaron Taylor to put the tie into extra time. The first period of extra time was a drab affair. On 110Min's Craig Roberts hit an effort over the bar before a Mark Thomas chance was fumbled by the keeper and fell nicely to Craig Roberts who tucked the ball into the net and put Glantraeth back into the lead. With 2Min's remaining and not for the first time in the game Queens Kevin Roberts got through on the right and with just keeper to beat put the chance over the bar. Glantraeth held on and now progress to the next round and a tie against as yet unknown opponents.

Jeff Scott