Cymru Alliance
8 Apr 2009
Glantraeth 1 Holyhead Hotspur 5

Playing with only nine players struggling Glantraeth gave title contenders Holyhead Hotspur a real scare before the visitors finally took command in the second period.

With so many players unavailable Glan were forced to start two men short and almost fell behind in the second minute as Mark Evans headed against the bar but should have taken the lead themselves two minutes later as Caerwyn Roberts fired over from a great position.

Despite being undermanned Glan were giving as good as they got in the early passage of play and following a header wide from Mark Evans for Hotspur James Burgess met a cross from Anthony Hughes but was unable to direct his header downwards.

On 26 minutes the same two players combined to give Glantraeth a sensational lead, Hughes sprinting away down the right before crossing for Burgess to force the ball home despite the attention of two defenders.

The visitors' frustration was beginning to show although they went close six minutes later as a long range effort from Lee Webber clipped the top of the crossbar then keeper Darren Baker had to go full length as Nick Dumbarton let fly.

It took a brilliant clearance from Glan skipper Gareth Owen two minutes before the break to keep out an effort from Mark Evans but with the game moving into first half added time the visitors finally drew level through Curt Williams as he met a cross from Dean Garmey though there were strong appeals from the Glantraeth defenders that Williams was offside as he applied the finishing touch.

The game began to swing away from Glan two minutes into the second period as Mike Kelly slid the ball home at the far post with Dean Garmey again the provider. Two minutes later Mark Evans missed an open goal after rounding home keeper Darren Baker.

Glantraeth were now really up against it but every player was giving there all and it wasn't proving easy for Hotspur to make their extra numbers count and when they did go three up on 55 minutes there was more than an element of good fortune about it as a shot from Dean Garmey looked to be covered by Baker only for the ball to bounce up suddenly off the hard uneven pitch and leave the keeper stranded.

As legs tired it was hardly surprising that Hotspur were now dominating possession but they could not relax and Glan came close to pulling a goal back on 65 minutes as a tremendous effort from Emyr Rowlands was only inches wide.

Two goals in six minutes finally saw off the home side's challenge with a low shot from substitute Darren Garmey finding the bottom corner on 70 minutes then a corner from the left was deflected into his own net by Caerwyn Roberts in the 76th minute.

It was perhaps inevitable that Hotspur would win easily in the end but there was much to admire about the home side's efforts to make a game of it and right to the end they kept plugging away with Burgess almost getting a second after a fine run from Chris Evans.

Glantraeth: Darren Baker, Caerwyn Roberts, Danny Wade, Gareth Owen, Mark Owens, Anthony Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, James Burgess, Chris Evans