Cymru Alliance
7 Mar 2009
Glantraeth 4 Llanfairpwll 1
Report by Stan Strickland

The atmosphere was subdued before the game as the players and crowd at Cae Trefdraeth stood in silent tribute to three young people who lost their lives in Menai Bridge last weekend including 17 year old Cliff Jones from the nearby village of Malltraeth.

Seeking their first home win of the season Glan got the best possible start as Kevin Roberts stole in to meet an Adam Jones free kick and directed the ball perfectly into the top corner well out of the reach of Llanfair keeper Ben Heald.

There was another great chance for the home side five minutes later as Anthony Hughes pulled the ball across the face of goal but Emyr Rowlands shot on goal struck a defender and despite shouts for hand ball the referee waved play on.

Llanfairís first effort of note came on 13 minutes as David Jones fired over from a free kick but the Maes Eilian side drew level seven minutes later as Darren Hughes rose unchallenged to head home from a Tony Williams free kick.

There were strong shouts from the home side that the ball had crossed the goalline in the 25th minute as a Kevin Roberts header was desperately scrambled away then James Burgess drilled in a shot that didnít really trouble Heald following a surging run from Emyr Rowlands.

Glan continued to make the better chances with Anthony Hughes heading narrowly wide but keeper Marc Newbould had to go full length seven minutes before the break as Richard Owen got clear of the home rearguard.

The second period began with Llanfair keeper Ben Heald making a good save from Anthony Hughes but Glan went back into the lead on 52 minutes as Anthony Hughes won a battle for possession and sent the ball looping over a stranded Heald.

A right royal mix-up in the home defence six minutes later almost gifted the visitors an equaliser, David Jones and Billy Evans both failing to take advantage.

The game swung firmly in Glanís favour on 61 minutes as Emyr Rowlands closed in on goal he was tripped by Darren Hughes and the match official was left with little choice other than to red card Hughes. Chris Evans confidently converted the spot kick.

Although they were down to ten men, Llanfair were playing with a wind that was gathering strength by the minute and now enjoyed their best spell of the game with Kelvin Frazer clipping the crossbar with a 25 yarder on 70 minutes and nine minutes later leading scorer Richard Owen failed to make contact with a Jason Harvey corner when well positioned.

The game was getting pretty lively in the closing stages but Glan made certain of victory five minutes from time as keeper Ben Heald held back Anthony Hughes as he looked certain to score. This time Emyr Rowlands was on target with the spot kick.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, Eppy McFadden, Adam Jones (Bryn Jones 63), Danny Wade (Andy Tower 26), Gareth Owen, Jarl Glynn, Anthony Hughes, Emyr Rowlands, James Burgess (David Alan Jones 73), Kevin Roberts, Chris Evans.