NWCFA Challenge Cup Round 3
7 January 2006
Caerwys 1 Glantraeth 5

Glantraeth ran out comfortable winners eventually in this tricky encounter against Welsh Alliance opponents Caerwys in the AMICUS North Wales Coast F.A Challenge Cup. Missing captain Warren Gibbs and also left back Simon Kay meant that captain for the day was Mark Thomas. The first chance came after 3 Min's as Kevin Roberts header a cross from Rob Williams wide. Emyr Rowlands then broke through but shot wildly over the bar. Dylan Davies for Caerwys hit a good free kick which Steve Thomas Glantraeth saved comfortably on 13 Min's. Straight after Craig Roberts broke but scuffed a shot well wide of the target. Gareth Owen then had a goal disallowed for an infringement. On 32 Min's a solo effort saw Rob Williams pick the ball up just on the half way line, run at the angle and slot the ball past Caerwys keeper Ryan Simpson to open the scoring 1-0 to Glantraeth. Rob Williams then put Mark Owens through and his shot was pushed past the post and from the resulting corner Kevin Roberts had a header cleared off the line by John Earnshaw. On 36 Min's Glantraeth increased the lead as a throw from Darren Jones was played back by Rob Williams to him to cross and Mark Thomas rose above everyone to head in from close range to make it 2-0 to the visitors. Thomas then became the villain as he pushed Ben Lewis to concede a penalty on 41 Min's and up strode the Caerwys keeper Ryan Simpson to reduce the arrears and make it 1-2. with the first half coming to a close. On the stroke of half time a Nigel Barry free kick found Rob Williams who hit a shot which Simpson guided round the post.

At the start of the second half Kevin Roberts was put through by Mark Owens and Simpson saved well at the post. The keeper was called on again to deny Mark Owens twice first from a shot then from an overhead kick. Mark Owens then provided a cross for Mark Thomas to get his second goal of the game to put Glantraeth 3-1 up from close range. Two minutes later Kevin Roberts put a cross across the face of goal that Mark Owens just headed wide of the target Glantraeth went 4-1 up courtesy of Rob Williams on 55 Min's. Kevin Roberts then hit a snap shot wide. On 62 Min's Brett Davies hit a chance wide and Caerwys would not give up although 4-1 down and also reduced to ten men after having a man sent off they fought for every ball All credit to them they certainly bely their position in the Welsh Alliance League. On 70 Min's a cross from Emyr Rowlands found Mark Owens who headed in to make it 5-1. A throw from Emyr Rowlands to Kevin Roberts saw him hit a snap shot wide.Then Wayne Shill shot wide for Caerwys. There was a goalmouth scramble in the 82ND minute which saw Darren Jones clear off the line from Ben Lewis before in the final minute of the game Glantraeth were awarded a penalty after a foul on Emyr Rowlands, up strode Mark Thomas who hit the penalty shot that canonned off the crossbar to miss out on a hat-trick in the game. Final score Caerwys 1 Glantraeth 5.

Jeff Scott