Cymru Alliance
6 Dec 2008
Penrhyncoch 2 Glantraeth 1
Report by Stan Strickland

As the final whistle sounded at Cae Baker Glantraeth boss Gareth Roberts’s exasperated cry of ‘the same old story’ just about said it all. Once again Glan went down to yet another single goal defeat despite looking the better side for long periods, playing some fine football but again lacking that vital cutting edge that has cost them so dearly this season.

It was a nightmare start for the visitors as Tim Turner rose to meet an Ashley Stephens cross and head home with only 65 seconds played.

Glan were stung into immediate retaliation and five minutes later levelled. Paul Rowlands went round keeper Richard Morgan only to see his first effort brilliantly cleared off the line by Mark Gornall, however, Rowlands was not to be denied picking up the loose ball, beating a defender before smashing the ball home with great composure.

The Anglesey side were playing the ball around well but once again conceded all too easily on 13 minutes as a quick break upfield left Sion Meredith with an easy finish.

There was nothing wrong with Glantraeth’s approach to this game, they were quicker to the ball and the midfield was dominating but again they were having to play catch-up.

A cross from Corey Sinnott on 28 minutes caused problems for the Penrhyn rearguard, Chris Saxon having a shot blocked and Kevin Roberts scooping his effort over and a minute later Chris Evans raced in from the left, firing a couple of feet wide.

A long ball in from Paul Rowlands as half-time approached saw Saxon beat the keeper in the air but there was no-one there to take advantage as the ball ran free.

The second period had hardly begun when Turner came close to reprising his first half strike, this time heading wide.

Chris Evans was making some good runs down the left flank and drilled in a low shot that wasn’t far off target on the 50 minute mark but Glan were almost caught out by Penrhyn’s route one style four minutes later only a tremendous tackle from Emyr Rowlands preventing Meredith getting through on goal.

Glan were playing some great football and pressing hard for an equaliser, Darren Jones shooting wide then Chris Evans pulled the ball back nicely for Kevin Roberts but again the home keeper was not troubled.

It had been all Glantraeth in the opening third of the half but Penrhyn began to come back into the game Turner heading over then Andy Tower did well to block Mark Egan as he drove in from the left. Meredith was allowed to run on from the offside position on 70 minutes only for keeper Marc Newbould to go down at his feet and pull of a brilliant rescue. A minute later Penrhyn had an even better chance as Glan made a right mess of clearing the ball and Turner was left with only Newbould to beat but he tried to be too clever trying a chip with the deftness of touch you would expect from a pregnant hippo and the ball passed embarrassingly wide.

Having weathered this period of pressure from the home side Glan pushed forward for one last effort, Chris Saxon heading over on 80 minutes as Paul Rowlands swung a ball in from the right and it was the same combination that almost levelled the game five minutes from time, this time Saxon coming in unmarked at the far post with kind of headed chance he normally buries but this time he didn’t get his timing right and the ball sailed over, a real let-off for the home side.

Glantraeth: Marc Newbould, Bryn Jones (Tomos Wyn Roberts 78), Adam Jones, Emyr Rowlands, Andy Tower, Darren Jones, Paul Rowlands, Chris Saxon, Corey Sinnott (David Alan Jones 78), Kevin Roberts, Chris Evans.