Welsh Cup Round 3
5 November 2005
Glantraeth 2 Rhyl 5

Glantraeth went into this Welsh Cup 3rd Round tie against high flying Rhyl full of confidence on the back of a ten match unbeaten run. Things started well for the Bodorgan outfit as they went two goals up within the first sixteen minutes of the match to leave Rhyl shell shocked and rocking. Kevin Roberts forced Rhyl keeper Ged Mcguigan into a first class save as he turned a thunderous shot around the post for a corner after only three minutes. On 5Min's Craig Roberts won a 50/50 ball just inside the Rhyl half taking the ball down the right wing he looked up saw Kevin Roberts in acres of space, and squared for him to plant the ball past Mcguigan and put Glantraeth 1-0 up. Simon Kay then looped an innocent looking ball into the 18yd box from all of 55yds, as Mcguigan came to collect he slipped and the ball bounced over him and into the net for Glantraeth's second to the delight of the home fans. Star striker Andy Moran tried his luck on 21Min's, but he shot straight at Glantraeth custodian Steve Thomas. Lee Hunt then had a good chance go wide of the upright. Ricky Evans had a shot well save by Thomas before Connolly took a free kick that sailed over the crossbar. On 38Min's Rhyl finally breached the Glantraeth defence as Moran beat a defender to send in a cross which was met by Lee Hunt who hit a unstoppable shot into the top of the net close in. Three minutes later the whole course of the game changed as Gareth Owen brought down Hunt on the edge of the penalty area. The official initially gave a free kick outside the box, but Rhyl protests saw him approach the linesman who had not indicated any infringement himself, the official then suddenly changed his decision pointed to the penalty spot to indicate a penalty and sent Gareth Owen off. Andy Moran stepped up and sent Thomas the wrong way to equalise and make it 2-2 at half time. With a man down it was always going to be difficult for the Bodorgan boys against their Premier League opponents, and it was no surprise as Rhyl more or less ran things in the second period. Moran hit a shot over the crossbar on 53Min's before a cross from the right was missed by Thomas and Greg Horan headed in to put Rhyl into the lead at 3-2. Greg Stones then shot over the bar on 68Min's before Thomas made a last gasp save from Ricky Evans. Limbert then crossed and Hunt with his back to goal got stuck in the mud before the ball was finally cleared by Richard Hughes. On 75Min's Lee Hunt got his second goal of the game as he turned in a cross by Andy Moran at the far post. Finally in injury time Moran and Limbert linked to put Gareth Wilson in to make the scoreline a flattering 5-2. The Glantraeth players had given their all against their Premier League opponents and certainly did Anglesey and the Cymru Alliance League proud with their efforts. Had it not been for the fact they played most of the game a man down the scoreline I am certain would have been a much closer affair. UNLUCKY GLANTRAETH you can hold your heads up high.


Jeff Scott