Cymru Alliance
3 November 2007
Glantraeth 0 Denbigh Town 1
Report by Stan Strickland

You will rarely get a more one-sided encounter than this with no reward but itís goals that count and although Glan can point to little luck and an inexplicable refereeing decision in added time they cannot escape criticism that they failed to make almost ninety minutes of overwhelming possession and constant pressure count with even one goal.

The game began evenly enough with Denbigh keeper Jamie Hulse saving twice from Paul Rowlands in the opening two minutes then Mike Lundstram headed wide at the other end. From then on Glan posed the major threat with Emyr Rowlands bringing a fingertip save from Hulse on 10 minutes, Nigel Barry having a shot blocked two minutes later and Kevin Roberts heading over a Jon Peris Jones cross.

Denbigh came out of their shell and Llion Davies did well to clear off the line from Lundstram on 28 minutes and six minutes later they took the lead as Tommy Harrison expertly curled in a well struck free kick from the edge of the area that was well out of keeper OJ Robertsí reach.

Normal service was soon resumed and the second period can only be a described as a constant pounding of the Denbigh goal. Attack after attack reigned down on the visitorsí goal. Paul Tilbury headed over after being supplied by Paul Rowlands, Nigel Barry tried a shot from 25 yards that was only just off target, a fine passing move ended with Rob Williams swinging the ball wide and Paul Tilbury headed Kevin Roberts into the keepersí arms.

The ball was bouncing kindly for Denbigh though they were defending manfully and Glanís frustration was growing by the minute but they kept plugging away, Emyr Rowlands heading straight at the keeper then Paul Rowlands had a shot blocked on 75 minutes. A minute later Nigel Barry had a great chance but at full stretch couldnít keep the ball down and it sailed over.

A fine run by Paul Rowlands finished with leading scorer Gerallt Jones flashing a shot inches the wrong side of the post and you sensed this wasnít going to be Glanís day.

With time just about up Denbigh should have gone two up in a rare excursion upfield only for Lindstram to shoot side of an open goal. Glanís afternoon of frustration was complete in the third minute of added time as Emyr Rowlands surged through on goal and looked certain to score only to be brought crashing to the ground for what looked a stonewall penalty. The man in black saw it differently and waved play on, a decision that was greeted with disbelief by the home supporters.

Glantraeth: Gareth OJ Roberts, Jon Peris Jones, Darren Jones (Osian Pritchard 81), Llion Davies, Paul Tilbury (Gerallt Jones 73), Richard F Owen, Rob Williams, Paul Rowlands, Emyr Rowlands, Kevin Roberts (Gareth Wyn Roberts 62), Nigel Barry.