Cymru Alliance
3 April 2007
Holyhead Hotspur 2 Glantraeth 0
Report by Stan Strickland

With our main match reporter stacking Easter Eggs in Woolworths (and probably rifling the contents according to Brian Roberts) it was left to me to report on yet another defeat by Holyhead.

A third successive defeat for Glantraeth by their Island rivals but this time they can consider themselves unlucky, two goals in the final six minutes giving a scoreline that flattered the home side.

Playing with a strong wind in the first period Hotspur almost gained a freak opener as a long kick upfield by Hotspur keeper Liam Shanahan caught out his opposite number Dave Ball with the ball passing only a few feet wide of the unguarded net.

The first test for either keeper came on 18 minutes as Glanís Craig Roberts bent a free kick over the wall only to find Shanahan perfectly positioned.

In a game spoiled by the wind and bobbly pitch there was little goalmouth action to report although Holyheadís Tom Nathan Edwards fired over from a good position on 29 minutes after getting behind the visitorís defence and Ian Williams had an even easier chance two minutes before the break following a misunderstanding between Carl Thomas and keeper Dave Ball with Ball doing well to rescue the situation with a fine save with his feet.

There were shades of last Saturday as the strong wind died right down during the half-time interval suggesting that even the elements are currently conspiring against Glantraeth.

The second period proved a succession of half-chances for Glantraeth as they took the game to Hotspur.

Within a minute of the restart Craig Roberts narrowly failed to connect with a cross from Chris Evans and Nigel Barry followed up to blast in a shot that was deflected over. From the resulting corner Gareth Owen headed over.

On 51 minutes Rob Williams sent Craig Roberts only for the home keeper to react quickly and block his effort on goal. Craig Roberts again went close on 66 minutes as he cut in from the right and curled the ball just the wrong side of a post and four minutes later Chris Evans brought out a full length save from the keeper.

Little had been seen of Hotspur as an attacking force in this half but Ian Williams brought out a good save from Dave Ball on 72 minutes and twelve minutes later the same player opened the scoring with a brilliant individual goal, running at the Glan defence before slotting the ball past Ball. Four minutes later it was all over as Curt Williams also got his reward for taking on defenders as he was brought down by Carl Thomas. Ball read Williams's spot kick perfectly but was beaten more by the uneven surface than the quality of the penalty.

Apologies if any of the Hotspur player are wrongly identified but it is difficult to read the numbers on their shirts from distance.

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Carl Thomas, Darren Jones, Warren Gibbs, Gareth Owen (Emyr Rowlands 75), Nigel Barry, Rob Williams, Richard F Owen, Craig Roberts, Chris Evans (Richard Owen 84), Paul Rowlands (Kevin Roberts 61).