Cymru Alliance
2 December 2006
Penrhyncoch 3 Glantraeth 4
Report by Stan Strickland

Watching Glantraeth at present should carry a health warning as once again a topsy-turvy seven goal thriller just about went the Anglesey sideís way.

It looked like Glan would stroll to victory in an opening 45 minutes during which they rarely looked in danger apart from a brilliant save from Dave Ball on 35 minutes as Tony Jones broke clear only for Glanís keeper to time his dive perfectly and snatch the ball away from Jones as he looked certain to score.

With both Warren Gibbs (down with flu) and Gareth Owen (suspended) out of contention Martin Bohana and Richard F Owen took over the central defensive duties as Glantraeth opened strongly, taking the lead after 8 minutes as Rob Williams put Richard Owen clear and Glanís leading scorer made no mistake with a real strikerís finish.

With ten minutes gone Penrhyncoch had hardly crossed the half way line while Glantraeth looked threatening every time they moved forward with Richard Owen shooting just the wrong side of a post, Martin Bohana going close with a powerful header from a Kevin Roberts free kick then Paul Rowlands cut in from the right and fired narrowly wide.

On 42 minutes Rob Williams retired, having turned out despite suffering flu symptoms, and was replaced by Osian Pritchard and within a minute it was 2-0 as Craig Roberts curled one into the top corner although home keeper Daniel Pritchard got a strong hand to the ball.

It had been a comfortable first half for the visitors but an incident packed second period began with Richard Owen striking a post on 51 minutes and two minutes later Penrhyncoch pulled a goal back in controversial circumstances as keeper Dave Ball looked to be clearly fouled as he went for the ball and in the scramble that ensued Tim Taylor forced the ball over the line.

Incensed by the match officialís failure to rule out the goal Glantraeth responded in the best possible way by immediately restoring their two goal lead as Paul Rowlandís perfectly flighted cross was met by Craig Roberts whose glancing header went in off the inside of the upright.

The home side were playing much better this half and after Paul Rowlands had twice gone close for Glantraeth Gavin Allen fired in a great right foot shot on 63 minutes to once again put Penrhyn within shouting distance.

Craig Roberts completed his hat-trick five minutes later with a looping header over Pritchard but once again there was no time to relax as the Ceredigion based side showed no signs of giving up the fight and on 77 minutes it was Tony Jones who got the final touch following a goalmouth scramble and a minute later the same player almost levelled as he cut in from the right and let fly with a shot that came back off a post. It took another fine save by Dave Ball with ten minutes remaining to keep out Gavin Allenís shot through a crowd of players as Glantraeth were forced to defend their narrow lead.

As the final minutes ticked away the visitors regained their composure and both Craig Roberts and Paul Rowlands went close to making it five.

Then we set off home on the 42 bus with the outside toilet - but that's another story!

Glantraeth: Dave Ball, Emyr Rowlands, Martin Bohana, Richard F Owen, Darren Jones, Paul Rowlands, Rob Williams (Osian Pritchard 42) , Nigel Barry, Kevin Roberts, Richard Owen (Adrian Jurkowski 70), Craig Roberts.