Cymru Alliance
2 September 2006
Glantraeth 2 Mynydd Isa 3

The torrential downpour that preceded this fixture would last season have put this game in doubt, but the new drainage that was installed pre season did its job. The game itself though will only be remembered by the Glantraeth Club, Player, Officials and Supporters as the day influential goalkeeper and nice Bangor lad Steve Thomas suffered a horrific injury and had to be taken by ambulance to Ysbyty Gwynedd. The game was halted for some forty minutes as Steve was being comforted and treated by paramedics and club physio Gari Evans.

The game itself turned out to be an excellent advert for Cymru Alliance football with last seasons Wrexham Area Champions against current Cymru Alliance Champions Glantraeth. Chances went begging at both ends, both sides hit the woodwork, as Glantraeth carved out a two goal lead only to be pegged back and Isa finally won the game in the 81st minute.

First chance of the afternoon fell to Isa's Stephen Owen who when clean through on goal pulled his shot well wide. On ten minutes Kevin Roberts picked out Richard Owen and his flying header was tipped onto the crossbar and over by David Walsh the ex-Caernarfon Town custodian. Craig Roberts with a 20yd grass cutter saw his effort just go the wrong side of the post, and a minute later Mynyddd Isa where grateful for some stern defending to clear the ball in a goalmouth scramble. On 26 minutes Richard Hughes found Richard Owen but Walsh was quick off his line to gather the ball as Owen raced into the area. The 30th minute of the game was when Glantraeth keeper Steve Thomas sustained his injury Martin Colecliffe rounded him just inside the eighteen yard box and with the goal gaping managed to put his shot the wrong side of the goal. Steve at this stage was lying on the ground in agony. The game was then delayed for some forty minutes as paramedics and club physio tended to him. When play re started the official Maldwyn Williams played the remainder of the half some 15 minutes or so then had a short five minute break before commencing the second period. In a reshuffle of personal Glantraeth player-manager Paul Whelan came on himself and Martin Bohana bravely took over between the sticks. The half was in the last five minutes when Glantraeth took a two goal lead, firstly a good move involving Whelan and Kevin Roberts saw Roberts head back across the face of goal for Richard Owen to put the home side up 1-0. Craig Roberts then hit a long looping shot just over the crossbar, then a shot from Nigel Barry was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Walsh and from the resulting the ball was cleared by Isa's defence to Paul Rowlands who was some 25yds out he hit a shot into the top corner of the net just out of reach of Walsh. 2-0.

The start of the second half saw Mynydd Isa throw everything at Glantraeth, on 47 minutes Isa's Neil Wynne hit the post with Bohana beaten, before on 49 minutes Wynne broke through and shot past Bohana to make the score 2-1. 51 minutes saw Emyr Rowlands hit a cross cum shot that deceived everyone and landed on the roof of the net. Bohana then pulled off a flying save from Dean Hardstaff, and on 56minutes Wynne put a ball over the defence and Anthony Williams made the scores level.

Glantraeth found themselves under some pressure as Isa tried to get the win, with Anthony Williams wide with a header. On 65 minutes a corner from Nigel Barry fell to Richard Hughes and his shot was cleared off the goal line. Richard Hughes then attempted to chip Walsh but he comfortably saved. On 79 minutes Bohana threw the ball out to Emyr Rowlands his pass was intercepted by Isa's Stuart Wood and he swung in a cross for Dean Hardstaff to put the visitors in front. Nigel Barry found Kevin Roberts who headed wide and Mathew Roberts for Isa blazed wildly wide when clean through on goal. In the 88th minute Whelan found Richard Hughes but he was wide of the post with his header, and in injury time a goalmouth scramble ensued following along throw from Emyr Rowlands. It seems the new kids on the block are causing quite an upset in Cymru Alliance circles expecially when it comes to long unbeaten runs. Last week they became the first side to beat Flint Town United for ten months. This Saturday they became the first side to win a league fixture at Glantraeth's Bodorgan base since October of 2006.

Glantraeth: Steve Thomas (Paul Whelan 29), Emyr Rowlands, Darren Jones, Martin Bohana, Gareth Owen, Nigel Barry, Craig Roberts (Anthony Hughes 60), Richard Hughes, Richard Owen (Osian Pritchard 72), Kevin Roberts, Paul Rowlands.