Saturday 1st October 2005
Welsh Cup Round 2
Glantraeth 6 - Guilsfield 1

Glantraeth inflicted a heavy defeat on their Mid Wales visitors in this round 2 Welsh Cup tie. Guilsfield who had only conceded a total of 4 goals in their previous eight fixtures and boasted the best defence in the Cymru Alliance League had no answer as Glantraeth took the game to them. The scoreline was certainly not one that could have been predicted prior to the game. However it must be said that they are one of the best sides if not the best side that we have played so far this season. It was just that on the day the majority of chances that went Glantraeth's way went into the back of the net for a change. Kevin Roberts on fire from the off started the rout with two quickfire goals that really rattled the visitors. The first came from a pass to Mark Thomas down the line from Darren Jones, Thomas cleverly slipped the ball inside to Kevin Roberts who turned shot and saw the ball hit the back of the net via the goalpost, this was after 4min's. Simon Kay then provided a defence splitting pass to Roberts who found himself in an almost identical position as the first goal to shoot and beat Mike Barton in the Guilsfield goal. Stung into action now Tom Reynolds tried a long range effort which went over the bar. On 23min's Reynolds then skipped past four Glantraeth players who could not get a tackle in to see his shot go wide of the upright. Richard Hughes then battled to win the a ball just outside the area only to see his shot well saved by Barton. Mark Thomas then had a chance go wide and Guilsfield's Craig Edwards saw Glantraeth custodian Steve Thomas save a goal bound shot with his outstretched foot. On 36min's Mark Thomas increased the lead after Emyr Rowlands squared a pass to him just on the edge of the area for him to get his first of the afternoon. Tom Reynolds then tried his luck again and a Richie Harries free kick sailed over the bar just before the break. On 50min's Guilsfield pulled one back after substitute Rob Cookeson scored close in from an Andy Reeve corner. On 65min's Kevin Roberts delivered a perfect corner for Mark Thomas to head in and put Glantraeth 4-1 up. Two minutes later Glantraeth were 5-1 up as Nigel Barry won the ball at the edge of the area to slide under the advancing Barton. on 74min's Craig Roberts on as a substitute broke down the right and unselfishly squared for Emyr Rowlands to get on the score sheet and complete the rout

Jeff Scott