Cymru Alliance League
1 May 2006
Glantraeth 3 Gresford 1

Three very well taken goals by in form midfield player Mark Thomas put Glantraeth three points closer to the completing what could hopefully be a League and Cup Double. Thomas got his first of the day and goal number twenty in his personal tally after just five minutes. In a move down the left which saw Craig Roberts unselfishly square the ball to him to score from 18 yards out. David Lloyd then tried his luck for Gresford with a free kick that went close after nine minutes. Mark Thomas misdirected a clean header after a quarter of an hour and Gresford were out of luck with two well taken chances the first a shot which flashed past the post from Jon Taylor, and the second a free kick that was well saved by Steve Thomas from the lively Phil Jones. Craig Roberts then shot over from a Rob Williams lay off. Before Gresford equalised on the counter with a simple ball over the top that found thorn in the side from our previous encounter with Gresford Craig Williams who slotted past the oncoming Steve Thomas. Nigel Barry set up Craig Rboerts but leaning back he hit the ball over the bar. Half time was approaching as the move of the game saw Kevin Roberts nutmeg a defender on the left the ball reached Rob Williams and he played in Mark Thomas who hit a superb shot past keeper Gareth Rowland. Within a minute of the second half starting Kevin Roberts was through but the angle was bad and he put the chance over the bar. Rob Williams tried his luck but his shot went accross the face of goal with no one there to put the ball in. Phil Jones with another free kick for Gresford saw the effort rise over the bar. Kevin Roberts tried a spectacular volley from a Rob Williams corner.Gresford though were not going to give up and battled on causing a couple of tricky moments for the home side, they won a number of free kicks, but you always sensed Glantraeth were in control. Rob Williams then tried a volley after Richard Owen's shot was deflected for a corner. On 85 minutes Mark Thomas completed his hat trick after a ball over the top dropped kindly for him to control and strike neatly into the net and finally calm the nerves of some of the assembled crowd. Darren Gowans on as a substirute pulled a shot wide in the final minute, but the game was won.


Jeff Scott