Cymru Alliance League
1 April 2006
Glantraeth 5 Llandyrnog United 0

Football our beautiful game has a habit every now and again of throwing up a fixture full of incident and controversy, if today's game is anything to go by when we come up against Llandyrnog United again in just over a week in the Semi Final of the Cymru Alliance League cup at LLANDUDNO'S ground it should be a very interesting fixture indeed. Mike Parry was back at the heart of the defence after missing the game at Gresford through suspension, and making their home debut's for Glantraeth were new signings Darren Gowans and Gareth Davies. Straight from the off Glantraeth showed they meant business and wanted to wipe the disappointment of the previous two games out of their system. Craig Roberts let fly a thunderous shot that whistled just past the post. Then Ceri James for the visitors shot over the bar. In the 20Th minute Kevin Roberts turned and shot over in a goalmouth scramble.
From a corner in the 22ND minute came something neither I nor anyone else I spoke to has ever seen in many years involved in football. The corner was swung in and Warren Gibbs goal bound header was handled by Simon Hauls of Llandyrnog. The official rightly then awarded a penalty to the home team and the ball was placed on the spot. He then turned to Hulse and gave him a Red Card. The player then protested and the official spoke to the linesman on the far side of the pitch. He then came back picked up the ball and pointed to the centre circle and awarded Glantraeth a goal. It was later established that after discussion with his linesman it was decided he had handled the ball over the goal line. On 25Min's Rob Williams in a good position then blazed over the bar. The Bodorgan side went 2-0 up after 32Min's after some good work by workaholic Kevin Roberts picking up a ball over the defence from Rob Williams to deliver a cross to the far post which was put in from close range by Craig Roberts. Simon Hulse who had almost been sent off earlier then clipped the post with a long range shot. Llandyrnog were not about to give up the game easily and Gareth Martin saw a good effort deflected for a corner. Dareen Gowans used his pace get past the last man and hit a powerful shot the keeper did well to save. In the final minute of the half Dai Robert hit a good free kick for the visitors over the bar. Mark Thomas then replace injured Lee Dixon.
In the first minute of the half CraIg Roberts then hit a shot from an acute angle which was over the bar, and the confident new signing Gowans forced the keeper into another good save, before Emyr Rowlands also forced a good save from Jamie Hulse who was at this stage keeping Llandyrnog in the game. On 61 Min's Glantraeth went further ahead as a ball through by Rob Williams took a wicked rebound of a defender fell kindly to Craig Roberts who hit an angled shot past the keeper 3-0. Paul Whelans other new recruit then showed his credentials powering down the right past the last man and putting in a good cross which found Craig Roberts who with a bit of luck would have completed his hat-tick. On 75Min's the home side were 4-0 up as the keeper scuffed a clearance which fell to Rob Williams who chipped the ball from distance into an empty net. Mike Parry then clumsily brought down a Llandyrnog player in the area and a penalty was awarded. Substitute John Slater missed though hitting the shot well wide. In the final ten minutes Hulse ran to the edge of his area to clear a dangerous situation, but he scuffed his kick which hit Kevin Roberts on the head (sorry Kevin - that should read which Kevin Roberts controlled with a cushioned header into an empty net ) and bobbled into the empty net. The score was now 5-0. Gareth Martin who had had a good game then appeared to say something to the linesman and after words with the referee the player was shown the Red Card. In the final minute John Slater then forced home keeper to tip a shot over the bar. In the end what a game it had everything. A sending off that was and one that wasn't. A penalty award Some strange goalkeeping at times, Kevin's goal had to be seen to be believed. And Even yours truly the so called roving reporter with the club managed to somehow think it was 2-0 at half time and had to be corrected by local sports reporter Mr Tony Coates TOO MUCH INCIDENT FOR ME TO KEEP UP WITH THIS WEEK !!!


Jeff Scott