Newyddion/Previous News

(01/08/13) A good workout tonight for Glantraeth as a fired up Felinheli side battled all the way before going down 2-0, the goals coming from Iwan Roberts and Steve Jones.

(29/07/13) Manager Chris Roberts has arranged a game against Felinheli for this Thursday at Glantraeth instead of training, kick-off 6.30 pm. Referee is Andrew Dogan. There will only be drinks on sale in canteen.

(29/07/13) Next Saturday we face a team from our own level of Welsh football when Llangollen Town are the visitors to Glantraeth. The game will be a far better guide to the strength of our squad than previous games against English opposition. Llangollen finished sixth in the Welsh National League Premier Division last season so should provide a stern test. Kick-off this week is 2.30 pm and the referee is Allan Rowlands.

(28/07/13) Immediately following yesterday's 8-2 loss I just knew without even speaking to Chris Roberts that going to Burscough for our final pre-season game and facing a side who play at a higher level again would be an act of madness. The last thing we need is another game like yesterday immediately prior to the start of the season so I have informed the Burscough chairman that we are pulling out of the game and offered my apologies. It might have been my dream game but it is about the team not me and it would clearly be a step too far. Going back to my old club and being heavily defeated would have been more of a nightmare than a dream.
Although we could have had four or five goals ourselves yesterday it was only a man of the match display by our keeper Elliot Smith that prevented AFC Liverpool from making the scoreline even more embarrassing. Once is enough. (SS)

(27/07/13) The winning numbers in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw were 6, 7 & 14. The winner of the £500 Jackpot was Glenys of Rhos Residential Home, Malltraeth. The next draw takes place at the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Saturday 10th August.

(27/07/13) Glantraeth had their moments but they were always second best against an outstanding AFC Liverpool side, two goals in the final three minutes really rubbing it in as the visitors ran out winners by eight goals to two. Heads were down after the game but as AFC manager Paul Moore said: "You won't meet teams like us every week". The opening twenty minutes saw the Liverpool side in total control taking the lead after 16 minutes through Joshua Purcell. Glan keeper Elliot Smith was in inspired form with a series of outstanding saves to prevent them adding to their score and the home side pulled level just past the half-hour mark as Craig Moore created the chance for Jason Harvey to fire home. Three minutes before the break it looked like the Anglesey side would go in front as Bryn Robert's shot from point blank range struck the keeper on the line and a minute later a penalty rather harshly awarded at the other end saw Steve Jones score from the spot to send AFC into the break 2-1 ahead. A tremendous Nevil Picton shot from fully 30 yards on 56 minutes gave Smith no chance and a Ronnie Morgan shot deflected in off Bart Slezok two minutes later to open a three goal gap. Though up against superior opposition Glan were still making chances and Craig Moore was unfortunate on 66 minutes as he fired in a powerful shot from fifteen yards out only to find the keeper perfectly positioned to save. Within a minute Shaun Harris had added a fifth for the visiting side and seven minutes later it was 6-1 through Rob Lamont. With thirteen minutes remaining Glan were awarded a penalty for a blatant two handed push on Chris Saxon and Jason Harvey fairly buried the spot kick in the roof of the net then three minutes later Steve Jones brought out a good save from the AFC keeper. The scoreline was made far worse for Glantraeth as AFC scored two more in the 87th and 90th minutes, both from Purcell.
Today's game certainly called into question the wisdom of playing this standard of opposition during pre-season.

(26/07/13) It's been almost eight years coming but I've finally managed to arrange my dream game, mainly due to the unfortunate demise of Llangefni Town. With a free date on Saturday August 10th we will now be travelling to face my former club Burscough in a pre-season fixture. I spent 13 years there as secretary and director so like Glantraeth it is a club very close to my heart and even now I remain the second biggest shareholder in the club as well as being a member of the supporters club and the club lottery. As well as it being an important part of our pre-season preparations I want to see us put in a good performance against my former club who play in the Evo-Stik League First Division North (formerly the UniBond League) so it is another step up in terms of the quality of opposition. Burscough play at Victoria Park which is over 100 years old (pictured above during a pre-season game with Everton several years ago). Hospitality after the game is in the Barons Club where I have enjoyed some memorable celebrations over the years. They are managed by Derek Goulding who has legendary status at Bangor City. In fact he will be bringing his team to Nantporth the previous Saturday. Sorry to go on a bit but it will be a very special occasion for me to see these two great village clubs that have been so much part of my life over the past twenty-five years finally meet. (SS)
(Sorry no. 18, back across the border!!)

(25/07/13) Another cross border meeting next Saturday when AFC Liverpool are the visitors to Glantraeth. Having already met West Cheshire League opposition and Atherton Collieries from the First Division of the North West Counties League we now step up a further level to meet a side who finished in the top half of the Premier Division of that league last season. AFC are managed by Paul Moore (pictured) who during his career played 360 games as goalkeeper for Worcester City over a 13 year period. The undoubted star for the visitors is John Lawless who I well recall signing as a 17 year old many years ago. John went on to become a full-timer with TNS, playing for them at Anfield against Liverpool in the European Champions League. Kick-off is 3 pm, admission is again free and the referee is Allan Rowlands assisted by Dewi Morris & Andrew Dogan. Both sides go into the game unbeaten AFC having won all four pre-season games so far while Glan have drawn their two. (SS)

(24/07/13) From the Welsh Alliance website: "Llangefni Town has decided to resign from the Welsh Alliance League after the management all left the club and a number of players decided that they did not wish not play for the team next season. The committee of Llangefni Town met to discuss the matter and decided that they would not have a team strong enough for the League's Division One so decided to resign from the League and just run one team next season in the Anglesey Football League. The League are very disappointed in Llangefni's late decision but would like to thank the club for the short time that they have been members of the League, Clubs who were due to play Llangefni Town in the August fixtures will now have a free date."

(23/07/13) Some nice words from visitors to Glantraeth following last Saturday's game:
Firstly groundhopper Matthew Harrison from South Wales on his Lost Boyos Blog: "Superb ground and a superb day! Our journey to the club would be made via a coach from Atherton, costing an absolute bargain price of £10 for a return to North Wales. Throw in the fact that Glantraeth had brilliantly agreed to let us into the ground for free and we had ourselves an economically sound day out.
"A big thanks to Glantraeth FC for being great hosts and to everyone at Colls for letting us tag along for the trip. And what a trip! I can honestly say that Glantraeth’s home is certainly one of my favourite football grounds I’ve ever visited and in regards to scenery, it will be hard to top. I need to go groundhopping in the ‘Land of my Fathers’ more it seems!
"Highlights - Bargain £10 return to Anglesey on the coach, one of the most scenic grounds I’ve visited, friendly local fans, free entry, winning the half-time penalty shootout, sheep."
Zach Pierce in his The Half Time Whistle Blog wrote: "Thank you so much for your hospitality yesterday!
"Anyway, the ground. Well, there’s only one word you can use to describe it, beautiful! It really is! The best scenery at a football match I have seen in a while.
"Whilst on that coach journey home it gave me a chance to reflect on what a beautiful little place Glantraeth is. I know it’s quite far away, but if ever you get the opportunity you should definitely take it and go!
"Overall, I had a superb day and I am already looking forward to the next trip I go on with Colls. Superb day!"

(21/07/13) A large turnout of Atherton Collieries' supporters yesterday helped make for a lively atmosphere in the summer sunshine with the canteen doing great business selling food and drink. If you're going to come to Anglesey for a game of football there really is no finer destination than Glantraeth with a friendly welcome and an idyllic setting guaranteed. We were presented with a silver salver by Colls with an apology that they had spelt our name 'Glentraeth' but it is something we are used to as leading up to the game we have been referred to as Glantaeth and Glantreath and even one of the trophies we had presented by our own league last year was spelt Glanraeth. Such is fame! Chairman Gareth Evans nearly had convulsions when an English flag was unfurled but they were a good crowd even though they did give ref Allan Rowlands a fair bit of stick. A bad injury to Paul Rowlands was the one downer on a game that proved a perfect pre-season workout for both teams.

(20/07/13) Today's meeting against our English visitors ended goalless with both sides cancelling each other out over the ninety minutes. Atherton Collieries started brightly taking the game to Glan without really troubling keeper Elliot Smith. The Anglesey side began to settle and play was very even until just before the interval when Colls had their best spell of the game and it took a couple of good interceptions by Smith to prevent them going in front. Glantraeth came out for the second half looking far more motivated and were now the better side although the visitors came close to going ahead on the hour mark as a long cross in from the right dropped on to the crossbar. Five minutes later it was Colls who had a let off as Craig Moore cut in from the left before curling in a shot that came back off a post. Glan were comfortably in control of the second period but could not make the breakthrough in a game in which neither side really tested the opposing keeper with defences generally on top. It was another good performance by Glan against quality opposition from over the border. Bad news for Glantraeth was seeing Paul Rowlands taken to hospital by ambulance with a dislocated collar bone. (Pics by Aled Jones - more on Facebook page tomorrow).
Colls won the half-time penalty shoot-out between supporters of both sides by five goals to three.

(20/07/13) The determination of groundhoppers to get to games seems to know no bounds. One, known as Groundhopbuck, tweets that he is setting off by train from Sheffield at 8.05 this morning to link up with the coach leaving Atherton at 10.30 am for this afternoon's game at Glantraeth. Remember no charge for admission.

(16/07/13) Next Saturday we entertain Atherton Collieries from the North West Counties League, kick-off 3.00 pm. Atherton is situated about ten miles from Manchester and the town has two clubs playing in that league, Colls and Atherton LR. The club was founded in 1916 by local miners and have won many trophies over the years. Last season Colls finished fourth in the First Division. Anthony Pilkington currently playing for Norwich City in the Premier League started his career with the club and is pictured playing for Colls when he was 17. They are sure to provide tough opposition in what is now the second game of our pre-season programme. There will be no charge for admission on Saturday. Referee is Allan Rowlands, assistants Patrick Thomas & Roland Sharp. (Earlier this evening our next two opponents met at Atherton's Alder Street ground with AFC Liverpool coming out on top by two goals to nil).

(16/07/13) Tonight's game at Gaerwen was called off as the home side only had five players including manager Sion Parry. With Glantraeth having a large squad a scratch game was played that proved useful as a training exercise.

(15/07/13) Midfielder Craig Evans has this evening been transferred from Gwalchmai and will be in the squad at Gaerwen tomorrow night, Craig was Glantraeth's Player of the Year two years ago and is another midfielder whose goalscoring record is second to none. Many thanks to Paul Owen and Kenny Jones at Gwalchmai for their co-operation in releasing Craig once he had made his wishes known.
Glan have also signed 16 year old midfield player Osian Jones who was with Llangefni Town Juniors last season.

(15/07/13) Our second pre-season fixture is at Gaerwen on Tuesday, kick-off is 6.45 pm. Craig Roberts should be back in the squad after missing Saturday's trip to Heswall due to his thirtieth birthday celebrations while Bart Slezok's knee injury is again likely to keep him on the sidelines. Gaerwen have already played twice, losing to Pwllheli and Porthmadog, but will be keen to do well against their local rivals. We always enjoy our games at their excellent Lon Groes ground and look forward to a repeat of some of the football we witnessed on Saturday.

(13/07/13) After dominating play for the first hour Glantraeth only had a 37th minute goal from Steve Jones to show then two goals in a ten minute spell from the Wirral side put them in the driving seat. Craig Moore was unlucky not to pull the visitors level on 75 minutes only to see his volley come back off a post but it looked like Heswall would run out winners as Ryan Davies deflected a right wing cross into his own net with ten minutes left. Glan really piled on the pressure in the final stages, missing a penalty before 16 year old Osian Jones connected perfectly with a Jason Harvey cross on 85 minutes to give the keeper no chance with a blistering shot. Two minutes later another Harvey cross was met at the far post by Craig Moore to make it three apiece. An excellent game and manager Chris Roberts will take plenty of positives from this especially that outstanding first half performance. Final score: Heswall 3 Glantraeth 3

(12/07/13) Chris Berezai & Laurence Reade the main organisers of the North Wales Ground Hop over the August Bank Holiday weekend report demand for places is very high. Over 70 rooms at the University of Chester have already been booked and the seats on two coaches are already filled. These are just those groundhoppers who are part of the organised group, there are likely to be many more coming separately. At Glantraeth we are well advanced with our arrangements for our game at home to Llanrug United on the evening of Saturday 24th August. Details of our plans will be given out closer to the game.

(11/07/13) Llangefni Town will be the visitors when Glantraeth open their league fixtures on Saturday 10th August. The following Wednesday we are away to Llanberis then follow that on Saturday 17th August with a home game against Llanrwst United. Fixtures page has been updated with all August fixtures.

(10/07/13) Glantraeth have been drawn at home to Penmaenmawr Phoenix in the second round of the FAW Trophy having received a first round bye. Tie will take place on 28th September.

(10/07/13) We have been given a bye in the first qualifying round of the Welsh Cup along with most other Division One clubs. Ties will take place on 17/18 August.

(09/07/13) Glantraeth manager Chris Roberts has completing the signing of Chris Saxon from Holyhead Hotspur. 25 year old Chris returns to the club where he has enjoyed success in the past including winning Glan's Player of the Year award in 2007-08 season. He is a powerful and competitive midfielder, strong in the air and with an excellent goalscoring record. Chris has played football at Cymru Alliance level with Llangefni Town and Hotspur as well as Glantraeth. He also had a spell with Gwalchmai.
The vast majority of last season's squad have now signed, one notable omission being keeper Kieran Williams who having emigrated to New Zealand was struggling to make training midweek. The full list of players registered to date is Elliot Smith, Warren Gibbs, Darren Jones, Kieren Jeffries, Anthony Hughes, Craig Moore, Paul Rowlands, Bryn Roberts, Ryan Davies, Craig Roberts, Bart Slezok, Steve Jones, Chris Saxon, James Saxon, Paul Tilbury, Jason Harvey and 29 year old defender Chris Hough (pictured left) who was previously with Bro Goronwy.. Chris Roberts will again be registering as a player along with Mike Innes as back-up keeper.

(08/07/13) Next Saturday Glantraeth will travel into England to face West Cheshire League Champions Heswall. It will be an early test of the strength of the squad, I know from experience of that league they will provide formidable opposition. Heswall play at Gayton Park a tree-lined ground set behind some expensive looking houses. They have an excellent clubhouse on the ground and are one of the oldest clubs in Cheshire. I only learned recently that the two clubs have met before at Glantraeth prior to 2001-02 season at the time of our ill-fated link up with Llangefni Town. We won that game 2-1, our goals coming from Corey Sinnott and Jason Sadler. There is a coach going to the game leaving Malltraeth at 11.45 am, main pick up points Asda, Llangefni 12 noon & One Stop 12.30 pm. Kick-off is 3 pm and we will be in the red kit. (SS)

(03/07/13) League secretary Ron Bridges has informed clubs he expects the league fixtures to be published by the end of next week. He also expects the Welsh Cup draw to be made on Tuesday 9th July.

(29/06/13) New drainage pipes have been laid at the canteen end today as work continues on the ground ready for the new season. This will hopefully overcome a problem we had in that area last season following heavy rainfall. The new goals will be delivered next Wednesday and there are still plenty of painting jobs to finish before our first home fixture on Saturday 20th July when Atherton Collieries are the visitors.

(27/06/13) Training on the all-weather pitch this season will be at Maes Glas Sports Centre, Bangor University on a Thursday night between 6 and 7 pm, starting Thursday 5th September.

(25/06/13) Central defender Warren Gibbs who was captain of the Glantraeth side that won the Cymru Alliance League & Cup double in 2006 has returned to the club. Now 35 Warren has Welsh Premier League experience with Bangor City and Porthmadog. His other clubs include Cemaes Bay, Bethesda Athletic, Holyhead Hotspur, Llangefni Town and Caernarfon Town where he played 24 league games last season and was part of the management team that won Welsh Alliance Division One. Also re-signing for the club is forward Bryn Roberts who played last season with Holyhead Town and Holyhead Hotspur. We welcome Warren & Bryn back to Glantraeth.

(23/06/13) Friday 23 August, Greenfield v Halkyn Utd (6.45 pm)
Saturday 24 August
Llanfairpwll v Llangefni Town (10.15 am)
Gaerwen v Penrhyndeudraeth (12.45 pm)
Gwalchmai v Llanberis (3.45 pm)
Glantraeth v Llanrug United (6.45 pm)
Sunday 25 August
Llandudno Junction v Holywell Town (12.00 noon)
Glan Conwy v Nefyn United (3.00 pm)
Llanrwst United v Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd (6.15 pm)
Monday 26 August
Denbigh Town v Bodedern Ath (11.15 am)
Llandyrnog United v Pwllheli (2.30 pm)
Meliden v St Asaph (6.00 pm)

(22/06/13) The winner of the £1,000 Rollover Jackpot in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw was Jenny Hughes of Llangefni. The winning numbers were 1, 4 & 6. The next draw takes place in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Saturday 13th July.

(22/06/13) Another surprise from today's AGM was a change to our home fixture with Llanrug United on Friday 23rd August when we were scheduled to host the first game of Ground Hop 2013 in North Wales. The game has now been moved forward to the Saturday night with a 6.45 pm kick-off. The change does cause us a fair amount of inconvenience because of arrangements that had already been made although we should get a bigger crowd on the Saturday night. One good thing to come out of the change is that we no longer have a game at Denbigh on the Bank Holiday Monday and the nightmare of likely hold ups on the A55.

(22/06/13) The biggest shock that came out of today's Welsh Alliance AGM at Llanfairfechan was the re-admission to the league of Bethesda Athletic. The Maes Meurig club made a late application to join Division Two that was voted through by the clubs on a majority decision. Player of the Year awards both went to keepers, Liam Ewing of Llangefni in Div 1 and Ryan McKean of Amlwch Town in Div 2. Manager of the Year awards went to Lee Dixon, ex-Glantraeth superstar, who took Caernarfon Town to the Div 1 title and Russ Pierce manager of Div 2 champions Llandyrnog United. In winning the Div 1 Secretary of the Year trophy I must mention the help I had from Reg Bryant who carries out many of the fixture and matchday secretary's duties. (SS)

(19/06/13) There was a tremendous turnout of 22 players at the start of pre-season training last night including most of last season's squad and many new faces. Manager Chris Roberts and assistant Kelvin Evans, just arrived off a plane from Spain, put the players through their paces assisted by goalkeeping coach Mike Innes and coach Mike Roberts. New signings include Craig Moore and Elliot Smith. 21 year old striker Craig Moore scored 31 goals for Holyhead Town last season and is the son of former Glantraeth goalscoring legend Nigel Moore. Also signing for Glan is goalkeeper Elliot Smith who was with Craig at Holyhead Town last season. 22 year old Elliot came through the youth team at Holyhead Hotspur and has also been with Bangor City. Training promises to be just as tough on Thursday when the squad will be down on the beach at Llanddwyn.

(11/06/13) Pre-season training commences at Glantraeth next Tuesday. Most of last season's squad are already signed up and a couple of new signings will be announced next week. There will be a working party on the ground next Monday from 5 pm when work begins in earnest to prepare the ground for the new season to ensure it's looking at it's very best especially for the visit of Ground Hop UK in August. We have a really tough pre-season programme of games coming up including three games against English opposition that will really test us.

(10/06/13) At the request of AFC Liverpool our home pre-season fixture with them has now been switched back to Saturday 27th July with a 3 pm kick-off.

(09/06/13) A decision made for this season by the FA of Wales means that we are unlikely to again face a 300 mile round trip to Presteigne St Andrews in the qualifying rounds of the Welsh Cup. Last season we drew the longest journey possible in the so called northern section of the draw and although we did not complain it did seem excessive for such an early stage of the competition. It has now been decided that the draw for the early rounds will be more zonal so clubs will not face the expense of such long coach journeys until the later rounds. It seems a sensible decision although it is to be hoped that it doesn't result in too many clubs from the same leagues being drawn together. Part of the appeal of entering national cup competitions is the opportunity to meet new opposition and it has to be accepted that if progress is made increased travel is likely to result.

(03/06/13) Trefor Lloyd Hughes, the President of The Football Association of Wales, today visited Glantraeth to inspect the work that has been carried out on the ground with regard to grant aid awarded by Welsh Ground Improvements. The grant aid is expected to be released within 14 days. Trefor is pictured in front of the refurbished main stand.

(01/06/13) There will be sixteen clubs in Division One next season. Caernarfon Town are promoted to the Huws Gray Alliance but no club will be relegated from that league so bottom club Llangefni Town escape the drop. Llanfairpwll and Llandyrnog United are promoted from Division Two. St Asaph and Trearddur Bay United are promoted to Division Two making a total of thirteen clubs.

(31/05/13) Llanrug United will be the visitors to Glantraeth for the visit of Goundhop UK on Friday 23rd August. The game kicks off at 6.30 pm. We are also scheduled to play away to Denbigh Town on the Bank Holiday Monday (26th August) with a 2.45 pm kick-off although we have expressed concerns about the possibility of delays due to the likely heavy volume of traffic heading eastwards as people head home after the holiday weekend.

TWO SHARE £1,000
(25/05/13) There were two winners in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw, Grace Jones of Bethel and Hilda Dackworth of Llanrug. The winning numbers were 7, 13 & 19. The next draw takes place in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Saturday 8th June.

(19/05/13) Llangollen Town will be the visitors to Glantraeth on Saturday 3rd August, kick-off 2.30 pm, for a pre-season fixture. Llangollen finished fifth in the Welsh National League Premier Division last season. Fixtures' page has now been updated.

(18/05/13) Steve Jones almost made it a clean sweep at Glantraeth's presentation night in the Joiners Arms last night as he picked up the Player's and Manager's Player of the Year awards as well as leading goalscorer. The 24 year old who joined from Gwynedd League side Bro Goronwy at the start of the season has been outstanding especially in the later stages of the season that has seen him score nine goals in the final eleven games. He is pictured being presented with the Player's Player of the Year trophy by last year's winner Anthony Hughes. The management committee's choice for Player of the Year was Luke Williams who has had an excellent season at the heart of the defence. More pictures on our Facebook page.

(17/05/13) Glantraeth could not face a tougher start pre-season when they travel over the border to face runaway West Cheshire League Division One Champions Heswall on Saturday 13th July, kick-off 3.00 pm. The Wirral club not only won their league but they won it by 12 points and only lost one game all season! Heswall play at Gayton Park and are an old established club having joined the West Cheshire League before the First World War.

(15/05/13) Our home pre-season friendly with AFC LIverpool has now been moved from Saturday 27th July to Sunday 28th July with a 3 pm kick-off. The Merseyside club are bringing a large squad across to North Wales and will now be playing at Welsh Cup winners Prestatyn Town on the Saturday then staying overnight in the Rhyl area before travelling on to Anglesey.

(11/05/13) The winning numbers in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw were 9, 10 & 12. There was no winner so there will be a rollover jackpot of £1,000 in the next draw at the Royal Oak, Malltraeth on Saturday 25th May.

(11/05/13) It's Glantraeth's annual presentation night next Friday evening at the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth. There is a coach laid on for players and wives/partners/girlfriends starting from Caernarfon Town FC at 6.45 pm and picking up at Maesgeirchen bus stop opposite Penrhyn Avenue (7.15 pm), then Menai Bridge Bus Station (7.25 pm), then Llangefni Town Hall (7.40 pm). The coach will make the return trip leaving Joiners at 1.00 am.

(09/05/13) Congratulations to James Saxon and Sophie on the birth of a baby boy at 4.07 this morning. Noah James Saxon weighed in at 6.5 lbs and both Noah and Sophie are doing well. Everyone at the club sends their best wishes.

(06/05/13) Our target pre-season was to finish top eight but it looks certain we have now finished in ninth position. Glan Conwy would have to make up ten goals in their final game at home to Llanrug to leapfrog us. Unlikely! We can't be too disappointed with that in our first season back at this level all things considered and I believe it gives us something positive to build on for next season. Caernarfon Town finished champions and Denbigh Town runners-up and we can point to good results against both of them. (SS)
Today's results: Holywell Town 6 Bodedern 0; Llandudno Junction 3 Pwllheli 1; Llanrwst Utd 1 Barmouth 1; Llanrug Utd 0 Llanberis 2

(05/05/13) Work on refurbishing the main stand has now been completed as part of a three year programme that has seen the ground at Glantraeth undergo a major transformation. The ground has been fenced off from surrounding farmland, concrete hardstanding has been laid, the area between the pitch and the changing rooms has been tarmacked, new metal barriers have been installed, a canteen put in place when the Glantraeth Restaurant closed and ladies' and mens' flushing toilets have been erected inside the ground. More maintenance work will be carried out over the next few months including the digging out of new drainage channels at the canteen end of the pitch and the replacement of metal barriers at the Trefdraeth end. The emphasis of all this work has been on providing good facilities for home and visiting spectators which we have to admit has not always been the case in the past. More pictures of the work carried out can be seen here

(03/05/13) End of season results have been disappointing and all we can do is wait to see where we finish with our pre-season target of a top eight placing now out of reach. We shouldn't be too disappointed as over the past three or four weeks manager Chris Roberts has done well at times to get eleven players on the pitch as we have been decimated by injuries. Those of us that have seen every game feel our league position is a false one, we have played some great stuff at times, but we have failed to win so many games in which we were clearly the better side; Barmouth home and away, Llanrwst away, Denbigh at home and Nefyn away are some that come to mind. If we deserved to lose as at Pwllheli and against Gwalchmai on Tuesday I have said so. Cup results were poor especially going out of the Welsh Cup at Presteigne St Andrews, a side we should have comfortably beaten, and it's still a mystery how we managed to lose our Cookson Cup game at Bodedern. It has been a frustrating season in many ways and it's only really since the turn of the year we have got anything resembling a settled squad. With most players having already re-signed that should be less of a problem next season when the bar will inevitably be raised higher. (SS)

(30/04/13) Despite Glantraeth taking an early lead it was Gwalchmai who went on to take charge and run out clear-cut and deserved 3-1 winners. The home side opened the scoring after six minutes as a great pass from Steve Jones gave Kieren Jeffries a run on goal and he controlled the ball well to round the keeper and fire into an empty net. Eight minutes later Craig Roberts almost made it two with a tremendous volley that flew just over. Gwalchmai came back strongly and pulled level on 17 minutes, Gerallt Jones striking a shot from 20 yards out that found the bottom corner. The visitors were now well in command and only a fine save from keeper Mike Innes kept out a looping header from Craig Evans three minutes later. Gwalchmai were unlucky not to go ahead twelve minutes before the break as a stunning free kick from Corey Sinnott came back off the bar but it was a brief respite for Glan as five minutes later it was 2-1 for the visitors as Craig Evans headed home a Steve Jones' cross. Evans again went close early in the second half before Glantraeth finally came to life as keeper Kenny Hughes pulled off a fantastic save from a Steve Jones' header. Ryan Davies headed over, Hughes saved smartly from a Paul Rowland's volley and a cross from Kieren Jeffreys was just missed by Steve Jones in a concerted spell of pressure from the home side. Gwalchmai held out and on 70 minutes scored a third as Corey Sinnott was put clear and he made no mistake, lobbing the ball over the advancing Innes. Glantraeth pushed forward once again but rarely looked like rescuing anything from a game that never had the same intensity as last week's encounter and was well controlled by referee Hugh Jones. It was a sluggish performance suggesting this was one game too far for Glan in what has been a difficult two or three weeks as they have virtually limped through to the finishing line. The planning for next season starts now. (pictures by Aled Jones)

(27/04/13) The winning numbers in tonight's 3 Number Lotto were 4, 9 & 16. There were two winners, A.Thomos of Brynsiencyn and Margaret of Ty'r Ysgol, Bodorgan. The next draw takes place in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Saturday 11th May at 9.00 pm.

(27/04/13) A 3-1 scoreline suggested a comfortable win for Llanberis though it was anything but despite Glantraeth playing with ten men for an hour following the sending off of James Saxon, two hotly contested penalties awarded by referee Martin Trigg proving the difference between the sides. Gwyn Jones pulled an early shot wide for the visitors before Glan began to take charge with Paul Rowlands smacking a shot against the bar on 15 minutes and three minutes later went ahead as Steve Jones was put clear, rounding keeper Louis Williams and leaving himself an easy tap-in and it should have been two a minute later as Craig Roberts headed over a Saxon cross from a great position. After their bright start the visitors' heads had really dropped and Glan were bossing the game, Kieren Jeffreys firing over then defender Gethin Wakeham got lucky as a goal bound shot from Craig Roberts hit him and deflected wide. On 33 minutes Llanberis were awarded a penalty. Dave Jones went to round Liam Shanahan the home keeper who got a touch on the ball before Jones went down under the challenge only for the match official to point to the spot, Jones picking himself up to score. The game further swung in the visitors' favour a minute later as Saxon disputed the award of a free kick too strongly and was red carded. Glantraeth were still looking the better side and it took a tremendous save on the stroke of half-time from Williams to thwart Steve Jones following a superb crossfield pass from Paul Rowlands. A man short it was still the home side calling the shots after the restart with Ryan Davies having a header sliced over his own bar by Kyle Collins. The pressure continued with Craig Roberts having a shot blocked then heading over from a Steve Jones' corner kick. Glantraeth were again punished against the run of play as on 70 minutes another penalty was awarded to Llanberis as a challenge by Chris Roberts was adjudged illegal despite him seeming to play the ball. Dave Jones' spot kick was saved by Shanahan but he followed up to score from the rebound. Things were not going Glan's way and when Jeffreys shot inches wide on 78 minutes it looked like not being their day and this was confirmed seven minutes from time as Gwyn Jones put the finishing touch to a right wing cross. For the first time in the game the visitors began to take charge as they played out the final minutes. While Glan can be accused of shooting themselves in the foot by going down to ten men so early they can fairly claim that few decisions went their way in a game they didn't deserve to lose. (More pictures by Aled Jones on club's Facebook page tomorrow).

(24/04/13) After Tuesday's fine win at Gwalchmai when the passion we have at Glantraeth was there for all to see we now entertain Llanberis on Saturday in our penultimate game of the season. We were well beaten at Ffordd Padarn back in August in what was one of our poorest displays of this campaign and we will need a far better performance this time if we are to beat a side who are going well and getting some good results. Luke Williams serves the last of his three game suspension. Referee is Martin Trigg and the game kicks off at 2.30 pm.

(24/04/13) Our goalscorer stats have been amended as apparently I had given Anthony Hughes two at Llangefni when Steve Jones actually got one of them meaning they are both on nine. The 62 goals we have so far scored have been well spread out this season but Steve Jones' two goals at Gwalchmai last night means he has now scored eight in the last nine games and with Anthony injured and advised not to play again this season despite turning out at Pwllheli last week the leading scorer award is now very much up for grabs. Steve (pictured) has done well after making the jump up from Bro Goronwy in the Gwynedd League and has been one of our most consistent performers. Winners of the various awards need to be finalised by next Wednesday so trophies can be ordered for the club's presentation night on Friday 17th May. (SS)

(23/04/13) Glantraeth ran out worthy 4-2 winners in a game that wasn't for the faint hearted. Reputations count for little in these derby games and it was Glan who showed the greater desire over the ninety minutes, perhaps a little too much at times in the first half that led to a couple of bookings. The first real goal threat came on 17 minutes as Glan's Bart Slezok got on the end of a James Saxon free kick only for keeper Gerallt Jones to do well to flick his header over. Four minutes later Glantraeth took the lead as a cross from Kieren Jeffreys was headed on by a Gwalchmai defender and was destined for an own goal but it was Glan's Craig Roberts who got the final touch to help the ball into the empty net. Craig Evans headed over from a ball swung in by Corey Sinnott as the home side responded then keeper Liam Shanahan made a smart save from Gwalchmai's Mark Griffith. There were chances at both ends with Ryan Davies heading against a post for the Bodorgan side and Shanahan again making a good save from a clever flick by Craig Evans. Glantraeth went two up on 43 minutes as Steve Jones rose to head home a great cross from Paul Rowlands and a minute later the home side went close to pulling a goal back as a free kick from Sinnott was pushed on to the crossbar and over by Shanahan. Six minutes into the second half it was 2-1 as Andy Sinclair headed home a Sinnott free kick. Glantraeth didn't panic and ten minutes later scored the goal of the game as Ryan Davies passed to James Saxon twenty five yards out, Glantraeth's number 18 swivelling and hitting a tremendous volley that was a goal from the moment it left his foot. The visitors were now well in control with Gwalchmai carrying very little threat but just when it was looking like a certain three points Glantraeth were shocked seven minutes from time as Andy Sinclair headed a free kick over Shanahan to put Gwalchmai back in contention. Again Glantraeth's answer was to go upfield and immediately restore their two goal lead as Steve Jones took advantage of a mistake from substitute Dyfed Evans to fire in a shot that carried too much power for Jones in the home goal.

(22/04/13) Most of our games against Anglesey opposition seem to have been confined to the last month or so of the season and tomorrow we face another tough local derby away to Gwalchmai. It is not my job to talk up the opposition but we know from experience they have two players who were truly outstanding with Glantraeth, Craig Evans and Marc Evans, so we know what we are up against. It only seems a couple of weeks back that we had a full squad of players to select from but a whole catalogue of injuries meant we were not even able to field eleven injury free players at Pwllheli on Saturday. We can only hope the situation improves for the final three games. Kick-off on Tuesday is 6.30 pm, referee is Arwyn Griffiths of Bangor and we are in the red kit. (SS)

(20/04/13) Pwllheli ran out convincing 3-0 winners in a game were Glantraeth struggled to make any kind of impression. There was a certain resignation in the Glan camp after the game that so many players out or carrying injuries would eventually take its toll and so it proved with the home side looking much sharper and carrying the greater goal threat. Pwllheli took the lead on 7 minutes as a free kick from Martyn Smith sailed high into the net and although the visitors then enjoyed a good spell with Craig Roberts twice and Anthony Hughes having efforts on goal it was Pwllheli that struck again on the half hour as pressure on the visitors' goal ended with Mark Bridge firing a low shot past keeper Liam Shanahan. The Gwynedd side were well on top and Shanahan did well to keep out a deflected shot from Mark Jones. Glantraeth's best chance came on 37 minutes as Steve Jones ran on with the home defence shouting for offside but his shot was beaten away by keeper Jamie Underwood. A minute before the break Pwllheli were unlucky not to go three up as Jamie Banks struck a post but it was three two minutes into the second half as Mark Bridge took advantage of hesitation in the visitors' defence to score his second. As Glan tried to rescue something from the game Underwood pulled off a fine save from Paul Rowlands and Shanahan did likewise from the ever dangerous Bridge. Steve Jones twice created openings for a shot on goal but Underwood was well positioned to save on both occasions. Down to the bare bones Glan put sub keeper Kieran Williams up front when Paul Tilbury hobbled off injured and he could have made an immediate impact as he got on the end of a Paul Rowlands cross only to head wide. It was one game too far for Glan and manager Chris Roberts will be hoping he can get some more of his walking wounded fit for Tuesday's game at Gwalchmai.

(17/04/13) We go into the final four games of the season next Saturday with a trip to Pwllheli. Although we won the home meeting 4-0 Pwllheli's results have improved since, the Gwynedd club having a win at Bodedern at the weekend and beating Nefyn United last night. They lie right behind us in the league table so it's a game we really need to win. Hopefully some of our injured may be on the road to recovery and available. There is a coach going to the game main pick-up points Malltraeth 11.30 am, Asda, Llangefni 11.45 am & One Stop, Llandegai 12.15 pm. Referee is Allan Rowlands and kick-off 2.30 pm. We are in the red kit.

(16/04/13) David Alan Jones was a forward with Glantraeth during 2007-08 & 2008-09 seasons. He also played for Llangefni Town. A man of many talents Blaenau Ffestiniog based Alan also played the trumpet with Ywain Gwynedd's group Frizbee. He is still remembered at Glantraeth for the 2009 presentation night in the Joiners when he took over the mike to MC the evening and had everyone in stitches. Even though it had been a difficult season to say the least it was one of our most memorable nights. Alan is an optician by trade and still lives in Blaenau. Although he says he misses the crack of football on the island his main sporting interests are now fell and road running and golf, playing off a handicap of 12. He is a member of Porthmadog Golf Club and Meirionnydd Running Club and reckons he is fitter now than he has ever been. He has also found time to get married and has a lovely little girl Ani Grug who is now eight months old. He sends his regards to everyone at the club.

(15/04/13) Everyone at Glantraeth knows young Jamie Roberts who helps with the pre-match warms ups and at training. The talented 14 year old has travelled to Spain with the Connahs Quay Academy side and will be playing against academy sides from La Liga clubs Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Rayo Vallecano amongst others. They are staying at the Spanish National Football Federation Headquarters in Madrid and will visit the Bernabeu during their stay. Jamie has already been to watch Atletico Madrid v Granada and today met former Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane who Jamie found a 'quality bloke'. He must be, in 2009 he described Steven Gerrard as the best player in the world bar none! Malltraeth is going to seem a bit tame after this Jamie.

(13/04/13) The winning numbers in tonight's 3 Number Lotto were 7, 14 & 16. There was one winner of the £500 Jackpot, Annie Jones of Newborough. The next draw takes place in the Royal Oak, Malltraeth on Saturday 27th April at approximately 9.00 pm.

(13/04/13) A badly depleted Glantraeth side with seven players missing came close to taking the three points despite playing almost all the second half with ten men following the dismissal of Luke Williams. The opening forty-five minutes saw plenty of goalmouth action at both ends. Glan keeper Kieran Williams was first in action after just two minutes as he dived to his left to push a Mark Roberts effort round the post and three minutes later a great run and cross from Kieren Jeffries led to Craig Roberts flashing a header a foot wide. Wiliams again saved well from Denbigh's Stuart Vernon before the visitors began to look the more dangerous with Anthony Hughes shooting wide, Craig Roberts volleying over and a searching pass from Paul Rowlands almost putting Steve Jones in. The action was non-stop and it took a brilliant reaction save on 37 minutes from Williams to prevent an own goal as the ball came off Glan's Bart Slezok then Paul Tilbury cleared off the line for the visitors. Then it was Glantraeth's turn with home keeper Jamie Hulse saving well from Craig Roberts then Jeffries shot wide. There was more injury woe for Glan as keeper Kieren Jeffries failed to appear after the break due to an injured finger, Liam Shanahan taking over in goal. Within three minutes of the restart Glantraeth were ahead as Anthony Hughes teed up a shot for Steve Jones to fire home. Nothing is ever simple with Glantraeth as two minutes later Luke Williams and Denbigh's Mike Lundstrum went head to head before wresting each other to the ground. Referee Tony Moore gave Williams a red card and Lundstrum a yellow. Both should have gone. Kieren Jeffries moved into central defence and Glan set about defending their lead. Despite being a man down the Anglesey side were unlucky not to go two up on 53 minutes as Hughes and Steve Jones again linked up well, Jones firing into the side netting. Simon Smith and John Paul Wood had efforts on goal as Glan were forced on the defensive but they still carried a threat with a cross from Iwan Roberts just inches too high for Paul Rowlands. Denbigh were struggling to make an impact on a determined Glantraeth defence and were being reduced to pumping high balls into the box but they got lucky three minutes from time as a ball in from the right found its way through to substitute Andy Swarbrick who gleefully swept the ball home. Final score: Denbigh Town 1 Glantraeth 1.

(10/04/13) Next Saturday we travel to one of the league's front runners Denbigh Town. We were unlucky not to win the home meeting but this time there will be no surprises for them as they know what they are up against. We will certainly need a better performance than Tuesday night when we didn't really set the Bodedern defence enough problems. Although conditions were hardly ideal for a good game of football with a hard pitch and a strong wind it was the same for both sides and Boded just about deserved to edge it. In fact it is amazing quite how quickly the pitches have changed, it only seems a couple of weeks ago that we were wallowing round in mud! All of a sudden we have hit something of an injury crisis with Ryan Davies, Jason Harvey, Darren Jones and Gareth Davies all missing on Tuesday and Ian Pleming of course out for the season. There is a coach going to Denbigh main pick up points: Malltraeth 11.30 am, Asda, Llangefni 11.45 am & One Stop, Llandegai 12.10 pm. Referee is Tony Moore of Abergele and the game kicks off at 2.30 pm. We will be in our blue away kit.

(09/04/13) An own goal just past the hour mark from Glantraeth's Kieren Jeffries broke the deadlock in a closely fought game between these two island rivals and ended up proving decisive as Bodedern ran out 2-1 winners to put a dampener on Glan's top half hopes. Glantraeth enjoyed more of the chances in the opening half hour, Paul Rowlands seeing a shot deflected wide on eight minutes and six minutes later a well struck effort from James Saxon was only just too high. Home keeper Gareth OJ Roberts was called into action on 23 minutes as he pulled off a good save from Anthony Hughes. Boded's first chance came four minutes before the break as great play from Chris Bennett gave James Burgess a shooting opportunity that came to nothing. A long ball in from Paul Tilbury caused OJ Roberts some problems and he was relieved to see it just go wide. The best chance of the game just on half time for the home side as Iwan Jones cleverly created the space for a shot only to see it come back off a post and it was followed ten minutes into the second half by an equally inviting opportunity for Glantraeth as Steve Jones' downward header left Anthony Hughes one on one with the keeper but his volley passed wide of the post. It proved an expensive miss as eight minutes later as the Glan defence came under pressure Kieren Jeffries in stretching for the ball deflected it over his own keeper to put the home side ahead. Jeffries almost immediately tried to make amends as he made a penetrating run which led to a cross from Paul Rowlands that OJ Roberts did well to snatch off the head of Craig Roberts. Glan pushed forward in search of an equaliser with Craig Roberts shooting over but they were leaving themselves vulnerable at the back with Iwan Jones only just off target. It was just about curtains for Glan on 81 minutes as despite getting a good hand to the ball keeper Kieran Willaims couldn't keep out an effort from Adam Roberts. With a couple of minutes left Steve Jones reduced the arrears with a fine shot following good work on the right from Hughes but it was too late for Glan to rescue anything from the game. Although missing several players through injury Glantraeth will be disappointed with this result and can have few complaints as they never really stamped their authority on the game. Final score: Bodedern Athletic 2 Glantraeth 1.

(08/04/13) Glantraeth’s end of season Presentation Night will be held in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Friday 17th May starting about 8 pm and going on to late. As well as the usual fabulous buffet laid on by Phil there will be Aly’s Disco and Karaoke. The main award as always will be Player of the Year as chosen by the players. Other awards include Manager’s Player of the Year, Committee’s Player of the Year and Leading Goalscorer.

(06/04/13) Continuing a short series of updates of some of our former players: During 2006-07 season manager Paul Whelan introduced a 16 year old forward to the squad. Previously with Penrhosgarnedd Juniors Osian Pritchard went on to take part in 27 games that season albeit mainly as a substitute. His finest moment for Glantraeth came in a 3-2 Cymru Alliance League Cup win over Llandyrnog United in February 2007. Jeff Scott reported at the time: 'The reaction of the supporters and the bench was a sight to behold as Osian turned and hit a cracking shot from the edge of the area past the outstretched hand of Llandyrnog keeper Arwel Hughes with what proved to be the winning goal to send Glantraeth into the semi-final.' After playing for Glantraeth Osian moved down to Cardiff to continue his studies at UWIC. He trained to be a teacher and now teaches at a primary school in Merthyr and plays for Cardiff based Clwb Cymric a Welsh speaking team with a great history that is now top of the South Wales Amateur League Division Two and looking for a second successive promotion.

(06/04/13) Not too long ago there seemed a whole host of clubs looking likely to overtake us as they played their games in hand but there's nothing quite like having the points in the bag as they say. The league table is now looking closer than ever and a top half finish is now very much in our own hands. Caernarfon Town maintained their lead at the top today with a 2-1 win at Llanrug while promotion rivals Holywell Town overcame bottom club Llangefni Town by seven goals to one at Talwrn Road. Denbigh are now almost certainly out of the frame after only drawing 2-2 at Pwllheli. Gwalchmai were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Glan Conwy making it only two points out of the last fifteen for the Maes Meurig club. Next Tuesday's opposition Bodedern Athletic went down to a 3-0 defeat at Barmouth. Nefyn United continued their improved form with a 4-2 home win over Llanrwst United. Llandudno Junction, another much improved side, drew 2-2 with Llanberis at The Flyover. League table has been updated.

(06/04/13) Only one yellow card in our last four games has seen us pull level on points with Denbigh Town at the bottom of the latest Division One Fair Play Table. Nothing to shout too loudly about maybe but let's try and keep up the improvement while still being totally committed to try and win every game. The improvement has perhaps come too late to avoid a fine from the FAW at the end of the season but it's right that clubs should be held accountable for their disciplinary record through the publishing of these tables. It might well be a good idea to publish a similar table reflecting the performance of referees in the league based on the points awarded by clubs because at present they are a well kept secret. Most of our refs would have nothing to worry about.

(05/04/13) With no game this weekend we are next in action away to Bodedern Athletic next Tuesday. If our game there in the Cookson Cup two months ago proved anything it was that a game is not won until it's won! We played really well for ninety minutes that day yet ended up being beaten in extra-time. It was nobody's fault but our own as not for the first time this season we failed to take full advantage when we were so much in control of the game, a one goal lead never being enough. We can only hope that if we put in a similar performance this time the result will go our way but it sure won't be easy. It was good to see Jamie Roberts (pictured) return to the squad on Easter Monday after a freak accident in training early in the season left him with a broken foot. Kick-off at Bodedern is 6.30 pm and the referee is Hugh Jones.

(02/04/13) Glantraeth's goalkeeper during 2008-09 season was Marc Newbould who played 25 games for the club in the Cymru Alliance while studying at Bangor University. Marc was from Kent and I seem to recall him on one occasion travelling up from Kent by train especially to play in a game at Buckley during a holiday period. He wasn't the tallest of keepers but made up for that with his fitness, agility and bravery. During his three years at Uni Marc gained a BSc in Sports Science and developed a great passion for fitness training. He is good at most sports having played rugby and cricket at county and national level while at school although the highlight of his sporting career must surely have been playing for Glantraeth! He has now set up in business as a Personal Trainer in his own gym in Tonbridge catering for all fitness requirements whilst specialising in Sports Specific Conditioning. Not much use to us down there Marc but good luck with your business venture. He has a website at (SS)

(02/04/13) Although the final 1-0 scoreline yesterday might not have impressed manager Chris Roberts too much the important thing was gaining another three points that now puts our wins in deficit to our losses by only one game. The league table is now looking much better as we have picked up points and seen teams below us struggling to make their games in hand count and now a top half finish is looking a realistic possibility although with four away games now to come there is still much to do. In fact there is no reason why we cannot target teams above us like Barmouth whose recent results have hardly inspired confidence. Based on our two games with them we are a better side anyway. It might have been annoying not to add to our goal tally yesterday but that second half sure made for some exciting goalmouth action starting with a fine save from our own Kieran Williams (pictured). It really was incredible how the Llangefni goal remained intact during that final half-hour and although ex-Glantraeth keeper John Glyn Roberts might not be the biggest in the league he was immense yesterday and looked just about unbeatable. For different reasons both sides must have been glad to hear the final whistle from referee Tony Moore (whose quietly efficient control of the game was an example to others!). Anything other than three points would have been a major setback for us and while the score remained at 1-0 that was always a possibility.

(01/04/13) Few other sides would have survived the non-stop second half onslaught from Glantraeth as the home side went flat out for a second goal to make the game safe but keeper John Glyn Roberts was absolutely outstanding for Llangefni with save after save as the pressure on the visitors goal became relentless. Steve Jones had put Glan ahead in the 17th minute, side stepping the keeper to finish following a cross from Craig Roberts (top picture). Seven minutes later Paul Rowlands was unlucky not to make it two as his shot came back off the bar after taking possession of a great crossfield ball from Ryan Davies. Cefni were providing much stiffer resistance than in the first meeting on Saturday strengthened by the return of central defender Lee Jones. They had a good spell at the start of the second half and home keeper Kieran Williams did well to push over a long distance effort from John Owen soon after the break. Dylan Williams twice went close for Glan then a shot from Kieran Lewis on 58 minutes was only inches away from bringing the visitors level. It was a wake up call for Glan who now poured forward to try and put the result beyond doubt. The final half-hour saw the game played out just about exclusively in and around the visitors' penalty area with goal attempts almost too numerous to mention. Ryan Davies headed over and Paul Rowlands saw a shot blocked just past the hour. John Glyn Roberts produced a brilliant save to keep out another Ryan Davies header on 67 minutes and two minutes later made another fine save from Paul Rowlands. It was like the Alamo as Glan desperately tried to put the game beyond reach and it took another superb save from Roberts to keep out a shot from Anthony Hughes then push over a close range effort from Dylan Williams and almost immediately he was in action again to save from Craig Roberts. It really was backs- to-the-wall time for Cefni as a great effort from Luke Willliams whistled just over. It looked like another goal for the home side just wasn't going to come when a drive from Paul Rowlands came back off a post on 78 minutes and two minutes later that was reinforced as Craig Roberts' pass to Dylan Williams was scooped over. The pressure continued right up to the final whistle with Rowlands flashing a shot narrowly wide then Dylan Williams fired just over and Glan's fortunes were perhaps summed up two minutes from time as a goalbound effort from Anthony Hughes struck Paul Rowlands. Final score: Glantraeth 1 Llangefni Town 0. It would be unfair to say the closeness of the result was just down to bad misses by Glantraeth, Cefni defended magnificently and while there was only one goal in it they always had a chance. Some of the Cefni defenders looked exhausted at the final whistle but they can take great heart from this performance while Glantraeth were just happy to take the three points. (pictures Aled Jones & SS).

(31/03/13) Although we ran out easy winners yesterday it was only when Llangefni went down to ten men that we really made the three points safe so we cannot afford to be complacent when the two sides meet again at Glantraeth tomorrow. Although Cefni rarely troubled keeper Kieran Williams they played some tidy football at times and if they get their tails up they could prove difficult opponents as they showed against then leaders Denbigh only a couple of weeks back. Manager Chris Roberts will be demanding a more ruthless performance as we were casual at times and wasteful of chances. A couple of milestones were reached. It was our first win in the new blue away kit and Anthony Hughes was the first Glan goalscorer to reach double figures this season. The goal from Ryan Davies' left foot was a bit special and the picture suggests it doesn't happen too often! Kick-off tomorrow is 2.30 pm and the referee is Tony Moore of Abergele. (There will be some more pictures from Aled on our Facebook page later today).

(30/03/13) A comfortable win for Glantraeth without reaching any great heights although a tremendous third goal from Ryan Davies was worth the admission money on its own. The first chance of the game fell to Llangefni as Gary Jones fired wide in the second minute then Steve Jones put in two efforts for the visitors without troubling home keeper John Glyn Roberts. Glan were getting on top but being wasteful of chances as Anthony Hughes and Steve Jones failed to finish after being put clear on the keeper. The pressure was now building on the home goal as Bart Slezok was inches away from converting a Jason Harvey corner kick. James Saxon then chested the ball down before shooting but Roberts was well placed to save and Ryan Davies had a header scrambled clear. The pressure paid off on 28 minutes as Paul Rowlands laid the ball off for Jason Harvey to blast the ball high into the net (top picture). A tremendous effort from Bart Slezok from fully 35 yards out that skimmed the bar almost made it two on the half hour mark and five minutes later Glan did go 2-0 ahead with a somewhat fortunate goal as Steve Jones' misdirected effort on goal fell nicely for Anthony Hughes to sweep the ball home (pictured above). Cefni pushed forward as the half-time whistle approached without reward and the second period saw Glan back on the attack the home side's cause not being helped as Mark Jones was dismissed for violent conduct on 55 minutes. He had hardly left the field before Ryan Davies made it three with an explosive left foot volley from the edge of the area that arrowed into the top corner of the net with Roberts having no chance. Craig Roberts fired wide for Glan then Anthony Hughes struck a post after good work from Gareth Davies. Llangefni kept trying to push forward but it was just about all over on 63 minutes as Ryan Davies raced clear down the right before squaring for Gareth Davies to pick his spot (pictured left). The scoring was completed three minutes later as fine play from Dylan Wiliams created an opening for Anthony Hughes to score from close in. Final score: Llangefni Town 0 Glantraeth 5. (pictures by Aled Jones)

(26/03/13) Two games against Llangefni Town make up our Easter programme. We are at Talwrn Road on Saturday when the referee is Hugh Jones and meet again at Glantraeth on Easter Monday when Tony Moore is the match official. Both games kick-off at 2.30 pm. We will be in blue away and in the red kit at home. Llangefni may be bottom of the league but no doubt they will be pumped up for these games and we should not take anything for granted. We cannot afford to go out with the same kind of attitude that saw us lose to basement side Llandudno Junction earlier in the season. Kieren Jeffries completes his three game suspension on Saturday so will be available again Monday.

(23/03/13) The winning numbers in tonight's 3 Number Lotto were 4, 5 & 9. There was one winner identified as Jones of Haelfre, Bodffordd. The next draw takes place in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth on Saturday 13th April at approximately 9.00 pm.

(23/03/13) No not Brendan Rodgers’ side but AFC Liverpool who were formed in 2008 by a group of Liverpool supporters concerned about the rising costs of following Premier League football. AFC Liverpool have agreed to come to Glantraeth for a pre-season friendly which has now been pencilled in for Saturday 27th July. AFC play in the Premier Division of the North West Counties League and are managed by former Southport and Burscough goalkeeper Paul Moore. Player Coach John Lawless (pictured) was also at Burscough and created both goals in the club’s FA Trophy final win at Villa Park in 2003 and in 2005-06 played for TNS against Liverpool in the European Champions League. We are also looking to travel to Lancashire to face another North West Counties club during July probably on Saturday 13th July.

(21/03/13) Caernarfon Town's 4-0 win over Gwalchmai last night sees them leapfrog Denbigh to go top of Division One and it is beginning to looke more and more a two horse race for the title with Holywell Town looking the other main contender after hammering Llandudno Junction 7-1 on Tuesday. Barmouth seem to have fallen out of the race after a series of bad results while Denbigh Town who started the season like a train and are not out of it yet have much to do if they are to get back into serious contention. League table has been updated.

(17/03/13) After an opening forty-five minutes that saw Glantraeth outplay and quite frankly outclass league leaders Denbigh Town yesterday Glan chairman Gareth Evans was moved to say 'the jigsaw is almost complete'. Gareth knows football on the island better than most as he has seen it all in his 29 years with Glantraeth and it wasn't difficult to see what he meant such was the quality on show all over the pitch and although we again didn't get the result we wanted we have shown we are now right up there with the best in the division. One of the many flukey deflected goals we saw on Match of the Day last night would be helpful now and again but it seems we can't rely on our share of luck at present. The Denbigh manager Richard Cooke-Williams gave a pretty accurate summing up of the game when he admitted to our manager Chris Roberts that 'you battered us' but he will also have been delighted at his team's fighting qualities in holding out for a point. (More pics by Aled Jones will be posted on our Facebook page later today).

(16/03/13) A 1-1 draw against the league leaders might appear a good result on paper but again Glantraeth were left frustrated that they didn't end comfortable winners. A 5-1 scoreline wouldn't have flattered Glan but some bad misses and some desperate defending bought Denbigh a point that cannot have been more hard earned all season. The first forty five minutes saw Glantraeth playing some of their best football of the season with the visitors struggling to contain the home attack. Paul Rowlands had a shot blocked in the first minute then Steve Jones fired over. Craig Roberts shot straight at the keeper after good work by Steve Jones on 17 minutes then Miles Todd cleared off the line from Jasom Harvey four minutes later as the pressure on the Denbigh goal intensified. A great cross from Anthony Hughes was met by Craig Roberts who should have opened the scoring and at this stage Denbigh were holding on desperately. Owain Roberts shot wildly over for the visitors on 22 minutes in what was the first real threat from the league leaders and as the half time interval approached Glatraeth really piled on the pressure with Steve Jones firing over then keeper Jamie Hulse went full length to keep out a shot from James Saxon. On 39 minutes Glan finally got some reward for their dominance as the keeper could only parry a shot from Saxon and Anthony Hughes followed up to slam the ball home (pictured). Three minutes into the second period Denbigh again had a let off as Mike Taylor cleared off the line from Ryan Davies following a Jason Harvey corner. Eight minutes later Ryan Davies flicked just wide following a driven free kick from Harvey. 73 minutes had gone before Denbigh got a clear sight of goal as substitute Richard Cooke-Williams blasted over from a good position but it was a danger sign for Glantraeth as two minutes later Tommy Mutton crossed fro Mike Lundstram to level. It was deja vu for Glantraeth who again had not made their domination count and they now had to set about regaining a lead that should have already been beyond catching. With both sides now going for a win it was thrilling climax to the game but the final ten minutes saw Glantraeth again miss chances to secure a win with Gareth Davies seeing his effort cleared off the line then Anthony Hughes inexplicably stepped over the ball with the goal gaping and Ryan Davies fired wide from a great position. Final score: Glantraeth 1 Denbigh Town 1. (pics: Aled Jones)

(13/03/13) More frustration and disappointment at Glan Conwy last Saturday but as assistant manager Kelvin Evans says it's now 'heads up and move on'. Next Saturday current league leaders Denbigh Town are the visitors to Glantraeth. We had many battles with Denbigh in our Cymru Alliance days and Saturday will undoubtedly be a tough challenge but with the squad we now have it is a game we are capable of winning. Kick-off is 2.30 pm and the match referee is Gwilym Evans.

(10/03/13) There was no winner in last night's 3 Number Lotto draw, The winning numbers were 5, 7 & 12. The next draw takes place in the Royal Oak, Malltraeth on Saturday 23rd March at approximately 9.00 pm when the Rollover Jackpot will be £1,000 .

(09/03/13) Glantraeth cannot keep blaming bad luck as once again they lost to a goal scored in the 91st minute at a time they were going flat out for victory with Glan Conwy penned in their own half and seemingly desperate to hang on for a share of the spoils. It has become a recurring theme this season but one that does underline a fundamental problem that the team is just not scoring enough goals when seemingly in a commanding position. The opening ten minutes saw the ball out for a throw in more often than it was on the pitch although it was Glantraeth who were looking the more dangerous with Anthony Hughes twice going close. The early threat from the visitors faded and it was Glan Conwy who began to look more comfortable on the difficult Cae Ffwt pitch and they took the lead in the 27th minute the ball being scrambled home by Jake Walker. Glantraeth were now looking disorganised and creating little and had a let off just on half-time when Shanahan did well to save then Paul Tilbury cleared off the line following a concerted spell of pressure from the Conwy side. It had been a poor first half display from the visitors and they could not complain about being behind. It was a different Glantraeth side that took the field after the break and they were level after 45 seconds as Steve Jones headed home from a James Saxon corner. A minute later another effort from Hughes was cleared off the line and four minutes later Dylan Williams suffered a similar fate as the ball looked headed for goal. It was all Glantraeth now and they took the lead on 56 minutes as Saxon released Anthony Hughes who finished with some style. Just when it looked like the visitors were headed for a win it all went sour nine minutes later as a corner from the right wasn't cleared and Chris Quinn was able to force the ball home to level. Glantraeth really piled on the pressure in the final quarter-hour in search of a winner with Saxon heading wide and home keeper Adam Campion making a fine save from Gareth Davies. It looked like two points lost for the visitors but with time almost up Glan Conwy must have thought Christmas had come early when a mistake in defence gave them possession and Ashley Smith was able to lift the ball over keeper Liam Shanahan for an unlikely winner. Final score: Glan Conwy 3 Glantraeth 2

(07/03/13) Glantraeth manager Chris Roberts has further added to his squad by signing Jason Harvey from Porthmadog. A left sided midfielder Jason has previously been at Glantraeth and has also played for Llanfairpwll and Llangefni Town and has also played in the United States. Now a resident of Bodorgan since tying the knot with singer Elin Fflur in December we welcome Jason to the club.

(06/03/13) It was good to see us get the result our performance deserved last Saturday so that makes it three wins from our last four league games and we must aim to keep the momentum going at Glan Conwy this weekend. It is never easy to win there but we showed the necessary battling qualities when we won 4-3 there in the Cookson Cup back in October. A couple of the lads will be back after being away in Barcelona last weekend (let's hope they picked up a few tips from Lionel!) and our two new signings will also be available. Kieren Jeffreys will miss the game due to starting a three game suspension and Ian Pleming through injury. We will be travelling by car on Saturday so don't forget to allow for the fifty million cones on the A55 between Bangor and Glan Conwy. Kick-off is 2.30 pm, the ref is Lawrence Jones and we will be in the red kit.

(06/03/13) Paul Rowlands has re-signed for Glantraeth after having joined Gwalchmai earlier in the season. This is Paul's third spell with the club having also been with us in the Cymru Alliance. Paul's other clubs include Gaerwen and Bethesda Athletic. There will be news of another signing on the website tomorrow.

(05/03/13) The fixture page has now been updated until the end of the season. We now have no game on Saturday 23rd March as Gwalchmai have asked for a free date! That game will now be played on Tuesday 30th April.

Previous News