Newyddion/Previous News

(31/12/11) Again doing his bit to promote football in North Wales Daily Post sports journalist Dave Jones has been selecting his choices of football awards for 2011. Team of the Year deservedly went to Welsh Premier League Champions Bangor City but his choice of Glantraeth as Team of the Year within the rest of the pyramid is a great honour and fully deserved. To return to football after a year out and make such an immediate impact brings great credit on everyone at the club who worked so hard to turn the club around after we were forced to resign from the Cymru Alliance. Not only have we enjoyed success on the pitch and won cups and promotion but under managers Chris Roberts and Kev O’Neill we have played some outstanding attacking football that has been a joy to watch. During 2011 we played 40 games, winning 34 and scoring 138 goals. The organisation within the club is now second to none, ground development has seen a dramatic transformation at Trefdraeth and is still ongoing and we continue to work tremendously hard at fundraising as, like every other club on the island, we spend only what we earn. We believe it is the perfect template for running a small successful club and we are rightly proud of what we have achieved and what we continue to achieve but is nice to see our efforts rewarded with such a prestigious award in the region's leading newspaper. A Happy 2012 to everyone.

(30/12/11) We have received New Year greetings from our loyal French supporter Guy Henou who writes: "Hello Stan, Here is Guy, your faithful supporter from Normandy. I am very happy to see that Glantraeth is leading the Championship & now has very good opportunities to be promoted at the end of the season. Your work for the club deserves this success. I hope we could remain in contact. To you, your family & all the people involved at Glantraeth FC I wish a prosperous & successful New Year 2012. - Guy."

(27/12/11) In the latest list of leading scorers in Welsh Alliance Division Two three Glantraeth players lead the way with Marc Evans, Anthony Hughes and Andy Clarke all on 12 league goals. The only other players in double figures are Josh Davies of Llandyrnog United and Terry Hughes of Blaenau Ffestiniog on 11 and Ceri Roberts of Blaenau on 10.

(23/12/11) Despite near record ticket sales there was again no winner in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw so the Jackpot rolls over to a massive £2,000. The winning numbers were 1, 3 & 16. The next draw takes place on Saturday 14th January in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth.

(17/12/11) Glantraeth looked to be romping to another win as they raced three goals ahead in the opening half-hour at Penmaenmawr with Marc Evans on target in the 5th minute and James Saxon adding another twenty minutes later. On 29 minutes Marc Evans scored his second but two goals from Bleddyn Jones in the 47th and 51th minutes for the home side made it all to play for and Pen pulled level in the 71st minute through Mike Williams. Glan fought back and regained the lead with a quarter hour left through Andy Clarke only for Pen to complete a remarkable comeback by scoring a second equaliser nine minutes from time from Billy Osborne. Not the ideal end to the year but nobody said it was going to be easy. Final score: Penmaenmawr Phoenix 4 Glantraeth 4.

JACKPOT UP TO £1,500 !!!
(10/12/11) There was no winner in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw so the Jackpot rolls over to £1,500. The winning numbers were 10, 11 & 18. The next draw takes place on FRIDAY 23rd December in the Royal Oak, Malltraeth.

(10/12/11) Glantraeth won a ninth successive game but the tie is still delicately poised for the second leg next month. The home side started off playing some great stuff and took the lead on 11 minutes as Bryn Roberts put Marc Evans away down the left who cut in and beat a defender before squaring the ball for Paul Rowlands to finish and three minutes later Evans was almost on the scoresheet as his half volley clipped the crossbar. Some sloppy play by Glan on 25 minutes gifted Bay the ball and Dave Clarke had to pull off a fine save from Matty Toole. Five minutes later Glantraeth went into a deserved two goal lead through a quality finish from Marc Evans after being set up by Bryn Roberts. Eight minutes before the break the visitors came back into the game as a left foot shot from Ashley Wood found the bottom corner. This lifted Bay and the second half was a much closer affair with both keepers regularly in action, Bay keeper Ryan Woods pulling off a good save from Marc Evans on 49 minutes. Jamie Roberts missed a golden opportunity to restore a two goal lead on 65 minutes as he blasted over a cross from Bart Slezok with only the keeper to beat then Dave Clarke pulled off a crucial save from Matt Toole as the visitors also threatened. On 75 minutes Bay substitute Alan Jones was red carded for a bad tackle and a minute later Glan were reduced to ten men as Anthony Hughes had to leave the field with a hamstring injury, the home side having used all three substitutes. Matt Toole again missed a good chance for Bay with seven minutes remaining so Glan go into the second leg with a slender 2-1 lead and the tie is still anyone's.

(09/12/11) The canteen specials have been going a bomb over recent weeks and manageress Helen Evans of Hel's Kitchen fame will be offering a bacon, sausage and egg bap tomorrow with a choice of mushrooms or black pudding for an all-in price of £3.50 which also includes a steaming hot panad. A perfect complement to the football on a cold winter's day.

(09/12/11) The draw was made yesterday evening for the third round of the Mawddach Barritt Cup and Glantraeth have been drawn away to Welsh Alliance Division One side Llanrwst United. The tie to be played on Saturday 21st January, kick-off 1.45 pm. Full draw:
Glan Conwy v Caernarfon Town
Gwalchmai v Nefyn Utd
Holyhead Hotspur v Llanllyfni or Gaerwen
Holywell Town v Blaenau Ffestiniog
Llanberis v Kinmel Bay Sports
Llandyrnog Utd v Pwllheli
Llanrwst Utd v Glantraeth
St Asaph v Llanrug Utd

(06/12/11) Kinmel Bay Sports are the visitors to Trefdraeth on Saturday in the second round first leg of the Division Two Cup (sponsored by Take Stock Van Hire). Formerly Abergele Rovers the visitors have had a frustrating start to the season not helped by the deduction of three league points for fielding an ineligible player but are clearly one of the best sides in the Division and will prove a real test if we are to progress to the next round. Kick-off is 2.00 pm with the second leg at Cader Avenue on Saturday 7th January. In charge will be Welsh Premier League referee Nick Pratt of Connahs Quay (pictured) assisted by Jeff Jones and Alex Hunt.

(05/12/11) Ground improvements at Glantraeth are set to continue having this week been informed that we have been successful in our application for grant aid from Welsh Ground Improvements to resurface the area between the changing rooms and the entrance to the playing area. Work is expected to be completed early next year and it will make an enormous difference to that area which is currently surfaced with slate chippings that are hardly ideal for players and match officials in studded boots. Above is a computer generated image of how the area will look on completion.

(04/12/11) Glantraeth striker Anthony Hughes is now the leading goalscorer in Welsh Alliance Division Two with 12 goals. Only league goals count and his biggest threat comes from within the club with Andy Clarke on 11 (the league has him incorrectly on 8) and Marc Evans on 10 from only five games. Others in double figures are Josh Davies of Llandyrnog United (11) and Terry Hughes (11) and Ceri Roberts (10) both of Blaenau Ffestiniog. So far this season we have had twelve different scorers and in many ways that is the strength of the team with the threat coming from all areas.

(03/12/11) A rejuvenated Halkyn side belied their bottom position and gave Glantraeth a real run for their money this afternoon before finally losing out by five goals to two. The league leaders were ahead after just 45 seconds as James Saxon laid the ball off to Bryn Roberts who curled a pass perfectly for Andy Clarke who showed great control before drawing the keeper and sliding the ball just inside a post. There were a succession of chances for the home side as Anthony Hughes had a shot saved at point blank range then Marc Evans chipped inches over and on 27 minutes Bryn Roberts let fly from 25 yards only to see his shot strike the crossbar. Halkyn, fresh from a 5-1 win over Nantlle Vale, were giving it everything and came close to pulling level on the half hour mark only for home keeper Dave Clarke to bring off a fine save from Will Higginson. Glan went near to a second two minutes later as Robbie Jones’ powerful header from a right wing corner found Kyle Knowles perfectly placed to head off the goalline. Anthony Hughes, pushing for an eleventh successive score, headed inches over on 37 minutes before the Bodorgan side finally got another two minutes before the break, Andy Clarke again the scorer as he finished off a Paul Rowlands cross from the right. Halkyn were far from finished as they reduced the arrears within two minutes of the restart with a powerful finish from Will Higginson. Glan had a game on their hands but responded nine minutes later through Marc Evans as he scored from close in after Andy Clarke had returned a Paul Rowlands’ cross into the middle. The visitors still weren’t finished as Paul Hughes was tripped on 73 minutes and although Dave Clarke made a tremendous save from the spot kick Hughes followed up to score. Once again Glan had to dig deep and within two minutes they had regained a two goal cushion as Marc Evans converted after good work from Owain Roberts. With four minutes remaining Anthony Hughes kept up his incredible scoring record, beating keeper Neil Edwards easily after latching on to a pass from Marc Evans. Final score: Glantraeth 5 Halkyn United 2.

(01/12/11) On paper Saturday’s visit of basement side Halkyn United will be put down as a home banker but we have to ensure the same professional approach that has seen us successful over the past nine league fixtures is taken into the game. Halkyn had a fine 5-1 win over Nantlle Vale in their last outing and will be looking to further kick-start their season. At Halkyn back in August we went four goals ahead after just twenty minutes but then relaxed and they went on to outscore us for the remainder of the game before eventually losing 6-3 so the message is clear that we must not take anything for granted whatever the opposition. Kev and Chris are expected to have a full strength squad to choose from. Kick-off is 2.00 pm and the match referee is Huw Jones of Amlwch.
There will be a minute’s silence before the game in memory of Tom Wyn Roberts and Gary Speed.

(30/11/11) Hi Stan. Its Gethin here. Just thought I'd send an e-mail to thank you, Gari and everyone involved with the club for making my time with Glantraeth enjoyable. I loved every minute of playing for Glan, and I'm saddened to leave before the end of the season, especially with us doing so well up to now. But I felt that returning to Gaerwen was the right move at this time, especially with everything that's happened recently. Hopefully Glan will go on to win the league, and I will always see myself as part of the league winning squad if it comes to be. I've never been part of such a well run club, both on and off the pitch, and I'm grateful for the opportunity of playing for such a fantastic team. Please pass on my thanks to everyone, and good luck for the rest of the season. Thanks again, Geth.

(30/11/11) We have today transferred Gethin Davies to Gaerwen. Gethin has made a significant contribution to this season with four goals in twelve appearances, six from the bench, and will be missed but much as he has enjoyed his time at Glantraeth Gethin has strong links with Gaerwen and feels that it is the right thing to do at this difficult time for his former club. We wish Gethin and Gaerwen Football Club well for the remainder of the season.

(29/11/11) Having today received seven day's notice of approach from Llangefni Town we have agreed to immediately release Grahame 'Squeeze' Jones to the Talwrn Road club on the understanding he will join up with their Reserve side in the Anglesey League. Grahame was outstanding with Glantraeth last season and played a large part in the club's many successes capping it off by winning the club management committee's vote as Player of the Year and we wish him every success with Llangefni Town Reserves.

(29/11/11) Following a certain amount of confusion it has now been confirmed that we will be at HOME to Kinmel Bay Sports on Saturday 10th December in the second round first leg of the Take Stock Van Hire Division Two Cup and the second leg will take place at Kinmel Bay on Saturday 7th January. On Saturday 14th January we will entertain Blaenau Ffestiniog in a league fixture and the following weekend it will be the third round of the Mawddach Barritt Cup, draw to be made on 8th December. The final Saturday of January sees us travel to Nantlle Vale in the league. Fixtures page has been updated.

(27/11/11) There was no winner of last night's 3 Number Lotto draw so the Jackpot rolls over to £1,000. The winning numbers were 12, 13 & 20. The next draw takes place on Saturday 10th December in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth.

(21/11/11) Our home game with Kinmel Bay Sports next weekend has been called off by the Welsh Alliance after it was explained that the great majority of our players would be attending the funeral of Tom Wyn Roberts. It's the right decision as I don't believe anyone who knew him is in the mood for a game of football at the present time. Above is a poignant picture of Tom Wyn in action at Glantraeth last Saturday along with his great mate Kieran Lewis (heading the ball) which we will have framed to present to his family and also to Kieran. (SS)

(20/11/11) I had telephone calls early this morning from both Chris and Kev telling me the unbelievable news that Tom Wyn Roberts, the scorer of Gaerwen's goal yesterday, had been killed in the early hours of the morning following a road incident in Llangefni. Nothing can prepare you for such shocking news so soon after you have seen a young man so full of life. Tomos had a spell with Glantraeth during 2008-09 season and many of our current players were good friends with him and will be devastated by the news and it is clear he was a very popular young man amongst all who knew him well. We send our deepest sympathy to Tom's family and friends and of course everyone at Gaerwen Football Club. (SS)

(19/11/11) Gaerwen started really fired up for this one, going ahead on 13 minutes as Tom Wyn Roberts converted a Sion Campbell cross from the right. It proved to be unlucky thirteen for the visitors as Glantraeth responded with all guns blazing, pulling level on 18 minutes as keeper Gwyndaf Owen could only help an Andy Clarke corner kick into his net and two minutes later more club history was made as Anthony Hughes scored for the tenth successive game (pictured left) as he cut in from the left and finished superbly with a shot that went in off a post. It was 3-1 a minute later as a great run from Bryn Roberts set up a chance for Paul Rowlands to score with an equally impressive finish and on 27 minutes Marc Evans fired home from 15 yards after Gaerwen had failed to clear their lines following a corner kick. Glantraeth were now rampant and a scorching Andy Clarke shot from fully 35 yards rattled the crossbar followed 30 seconds later by Marc Evans also heading against the bar as he met a ball in from Bryn Roberts. Keeper Gwyndaf Owen made a spectacular save from Paul Rowlands and Marc Evans headed just over as the home side ended the half looking for more goals. Any chance that Glan might relax after the break were soon put to bed as a perfectly executed cross from Paul Rowlands was headed home by Marc Evans on 47 minutes (above picture) and two minutes later it was 6-1 as Andy Clarke met a Marc Evans cross and his downward header gave the keeper no chance. Anthony Hughes was the provider for a seventh on 66 minutes as his tireless chasing won possession and gave Marc Evans the chance to score his third hat-trick in four games. Hughes was again instrumental in setting up the chance for Jamie Roberts to fire the ball into the roof of the net with ten minutes remaining and Gethin Davies got his name on the scoresheet on 86 minutes as he fired home at the far post after good work between Andy Clarke and Bryn Roberts on the right. With a minute to go home keeper Dave Clarke pulled off a tremendous save from Sion Campbell but it was rare threat from the visitors after their early promise. Final score: Glantraeth 9 Gaerwen 1.

(19/11/11) Although the Welsh Alliance tell us they can only put one name to the Manager of the Month award it is a fact that at Glantraeth we have joint managers in Chris Roberts and Kev O'Neill who both enjoy equal status and this award will be shared between them. It might not be the norm but it has worked pretty well for us so far! Chris in particular is delighted: "I never thought that at the age of 26 I'd be receiving a manager of the month award at quite a respectable standard of football. I am proud to be receiving such an award but at the end of the day I choose 16 players for a match on Saturday afternoons and they go out and do the business so it's the squad of players and a supportive committee that should take most of the credit and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank them."
Chris must be one of if not the youngest managers in North Wales' senior football. He is as highly competitive off the field as he is on it and if the players don't perform to their potential it's not so much the hair dryer as the blow torch. He is young and ambitious and has already been the target of several other clubs but has chosen to stay loyal to Glantraeth. He can hardly be at a better run club although we accept that there are limitations on just how far we can go in the game and the time might come when Chris will be offered a job he cannot refuse but for now the concentration is as usual on winning the next game.

(18/11/11) Not surprisingly the Glantraeth management team of Chris Roberts and Kev O'Neill have won the Welsh Alliance Division Two Manager of the Month award for October. During the month the club won all four league fixtures scoring 23 goals and conceding just three, the only reverse being a Welsh Cup defeat at Llanidloes Town. Congratulations to Chris and Kev from everyone connected with Glantraeth, it is well deserved honour for all their hard work.

(17/11/11) In the first round of the North Wales Coast FA Challenge Cup we have been drawn away to Porthmadog.
Full draw:
Nantlle Vale v Rhyl
Blaenau Ffestiniog v Colwyn Bay
Llangefni Town v Amlwch Town
Denbigh Town v Prestatyn Town
Barmouth & Dyffryn v Llanrwst United
Porthmadog v Glantraeth
Llandudno v Conwy United
Bangor City v Caernarfon Wanderers

(15/11/11) Glantraeth welcome Gaerwen to Trefdraeth on Saturday and as in the first meeting back in August this will be a real test for the home side, Anglesey derbies are never easy. For the most part we have been ruthless in dealing with the opposition over the last few games and managers Chris Roberts and Kev O’Neill will want more of the same on Saturday, there will be no room for complacency as league position will count for little. Glantraeth are expected to have a full squad to choose from with Tim Adamkiewicz again available after missing last Saturday’s win over Nantlle Vale. Kick-off is 2.00 pm and the match referee is Robin Williams of Pwllheli, assistants Ceri Pritchard & Terry Owen.
Stop press: We are now third in the Welsh Alliance Division Two Fair Play Table just issued by the FA of Wales,

(13/11/11) Six goals scored, the woodwork struck twice and a brilliant man of the match display by the Nantlle Vale keeper and still some strong words were spoken in the changing room after the game about our overall performance. It may seem harsh but it’s tough at the top and we have set such high standards over the past few weeks that we cannot afford to relax and lose focus for a minute and there seemed a belief yesterday that all the hard work had been done and we could just coast the second period after a dominant first half display had put us 4-1 ahead. Against better sides we could have paid a heavy price for taking our foot off the pedal and that’s taking nothing away from the visitors who matched us most of the way after the interval and played some good stuff. That aside we have to recognise an amazing run of results that have seen 34 goals scored in our last six games with less than a goal a game conceded. Another hat-trick for Marc Evans making it eight in four games, Anthony Hughes re-writing the record books and Andy Clarke also creeping up the scorers’ list. It’s the goalscorers who, rightly or wrongly, get most of the headlines but it’s the strength of the squad starting with the reliability of Dave Clarke at the back that is making all this happen. Yesterday saw changes made to the team but it made little difference during those opening forty-five minutes and it is the strength of the squad that will determine how the season ends as injuries and suspensions will surely play a part in future team selections.

(12/11/11) The winner of tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw and the £500 Jackpot was Rhiannon Jones of Gwalchmai. The winning numbers were 2, 6 & 9. The next draw takes place on Saturday 26th November in the Royal Oak, Malltraeth when the Jackpot will again be £500.

(12/11/11) Although not at their best Glantraeth ran out 6-2 winners in this second round tie of the Mawddach Barritt Cup. Nantlle Vale battled all the way with Gareth Davies giving an awesome display in goal and gave Glan some uncomfortable moments during the second period before two late goals from Marc Evans sealed their fate. The home side were ahead after just two minutes with Andy Clarke the scorer after earlier attempts had been blocked and a second came on 12 minutes as Marc Evans skinned his marker before leaving Gethin Davies with an easy tap-in. Evans was almost on the scoresheet two minutes later with Gethin Davies putting in a perfect cross but the keeper made a flying save to push the ball on to the crossbar. The visitors pulled a goal back on 18 minutes as a bad pass out of defence was quickly returned and left Aled Rice with a clear run on goal to beat the advancing Dave Clarke. Six minutes later Glantraeth restored the two goal cushion as Marc Evans surged into the area before cleverly chipping the keeper, the ball going in off a post and on the half-hour mark Anthony Hughes scored for the ninth game on the trot as he powerfully headed home a Robbie Jones’ cross. Some quite brilliant football that saw twenty passes take the ball from defence to attack four minutes later was almost rewarded with a goal but Gethin Davies brought a brilliant save out of Davies. The second half began with Glantraeth looking as if they thought the game was already won allowing the visitors to take the initiative and Adam Jackson missed a great chance to reduce the arrears on 56 minutes. At the other end Jamie Roberts brought a full length save from the keeper and Gethin Davies’ corner kick struck the bar. One bout of fantastic pressure from Glan saw a string of tremendous saves from the Vale keeper who was covering himself in mud as well as glory and his efforts to protect his goal got their reward on 71 minutes as the visitors got a second, Wayne Jones scoring from close in after Glan had failed to clear a right wing cross. Marc Evans completed a hat-trick with goals on 81 and 88 minutes, volleying home a Jamie Roberts’ cross (top picture) then converting an easy chance after an almighty scramble in the goalmouth. Even then there was one more scare for the Bodorgan side as in the first minute of added time Robbie Jones was close to an own goal only for Dave Clarke to pull off a great flying save. (SS)

(12/11/11) All the management and players have had their training kit sponsored for this season. We would like to thank the following businesses and individuals for their sponsorship. The sponsors' name will be added to the player's pen pic.
Chris Roberts - D Roberts Building/Groundwork & Demolition Works 07990 873919
Kev O'Neill - Mon Roberts/Roberts Brothers Roofing
Mike Innes - Hel's Kitchen
Mike Roberts - Acacia Florist, Valley
Dave Clarke - Chubbs Cabs
Robbie Jones - Mostyn Arms, Bangor
Jonathan Owen - Gareth Gadsby
Kieren Jeffreys - Playboy
James Saxon - Kelvin Evans, UEFA Coach
Jamie Roberts - Acacia Florist, Valley
Bart Slezok - Alex
Gethin Davies - G.W.D Plaques
Owain Roberts - Dafydd Roberts
Chris Evans - Dafydd & Karen Williams, Headfirst
Bryn Roberts - Stan Strickland
Tim Adamkiewicz - S & M Adamkiewicz Painters & Decorators
Paul Rowlands - Martin Roberts Construction
Andy Clarke - L & J Electrical
Anthony Hughes - A L Hughes Plastering
Marc Evans - Ian Fidler (Glantraeth FC all-time record goalscorer)

(10/11/11) It’s always disappointing to lose good players for whatever reason but it says much for the club that so many who do move on feel motivated to send a message of support and good wishes, we must be doing something right. The latest is Sam Williams who this week joined Llanrug United. He texted me earlier today: “Stan – It’s Sam here from Llanrug. I’m sorry I’m leaving the club it’s just that I’ve just bought a house and I’m working on the house most weekends and I couldn’t commit to the side. I’m sorry I let the team down but I hope you win the league and more trophies to put in the trophy cabinet. Good luck.” Llanrug reserve team manager Phil Lynes travelled over to Anglesey on Tuesday night to sign Sam so I presume he will mainly be playing local in the Caernarfon & District League. (SS)

(10/11/11) Just over two years ago we put together a development plan to transform our ground at Trefdraeth. Three-quarters of the ground now has hardstanding, a canteen and ladies and gents toilets have been erected on the ground and the ground has been completely fenced off from surrounding farmland. New perimeter fencing has been erected around the major spectator areas. The playing surface has been greatly improved and work on this will continue next summer. We have applied for a grant for further improvements to the changing rooms area and next year we plan to refurbish the stand including new plastic tip-up seats and install new Premier League standard goals. The closing of the Glantraeth Restaurant was a disappointment as it was an excellent facility adjacent to the ground but we now have the bonus of the Joiners Arms in Malltraeth which provides what is regularly recognised as the best after match hospitality in the league. We can be extremely proud of what we have achieved so far, the ground has undergone the complete transformation we planned and coupled with the success of the team these are good times to be part of Glantraeth Football Club. We are realistic about our ambitions, we will never be a Welsh Premier League club and with the proposals to be put forward for a tier two licence likely to include as a minimum floodlights and full enclosure (non see-through fencing) which would be impossible on our privately owned ground it would quite probably put even the Huws Gray Alliance beyond us. However, as always, we will continue to strive for success at whatever level we are playing and see where that takes us. (SS)
(08/11/11) It is the second round of the Mawddach Barritt Challenge Cup on Saturday when Nantlle Vale are the visitors to Cae Glantraeth. The Pen-y-groes side have had a couple of good results over recent weeks including a 4-0 win at Llanberis and a 3-1 win at Penmaenmawr Phoenix so will be no pushover. Although the league remains our priority the Barritt Cup is a prestigious competition open to clubs right across North Wales and progress would possibly give us the opportunity to measure ourselves against higher league opposition. We have reached the final twice before in 1994-95 and 2002-03 seasons. The game kicks-off at 1.45 pm and will be played to a finish. Match referee is James Walker of Flint assisted by P S Ellis and Dean Morris, both of Connahs Quay.

(08/11/11) Striker Sam Williams has signed for Llanrug United after the Welsh Alliance Division One club served seven day’s notice on the player last week. Sam had a great start to the season scoring four in the opening game at Pen-y-ffordd then getting a late winner at Connahs Quay Town but after being sidelined for a time with a hamstring injury he has not been attending training and though we are disappointed to lose him we wish him good luck with Llanrug.

(07/11/11) Fixtures for December have just been released and it has been announced that all Division Two fixtures scheduled for Monday 26th December when we were due to go to Llanberis have been cancelled and fixtures will resume in the New Year on Saturday 7th January. On Saturday 3rd December we have a league fixture at home to Halkyn United and the following Saturday we travel to Kinmel Bay for the second leg of the Take Stock Van Hire Division Two Cup. On Saturday 17th December we are at Penmaenmawr Phoenix for a league fixture.

(07/11/11) The Welsh Alliance have made alterations to fixtures on Saturday 19th November and we will now have a league game at home to Gaerwen instead of Amlwch Town as originally scheduled.

(06/11/11) We have reached the halfway stage of the league season and have to be well satisfied with how things have gone so far although there remains disappointment that we went out of both national cup competitions in games that we let slip after looking well in control. The highlight has certainly been our recent run of form that has taken us to the top of the league and managers Chris Roberts and Kev O'Neill (pictured) must take great credit for the quality of the squad that they have assembled to take on the challenge of this higher league. Looking back it seems by general consensus our most difficult game was the league fixture at Gaerwen back in August when a fired up home side gave us a real fright and will feel they should have taken something from the game but it will be those closely fought wins in tight situations that will eventually define our season. For those of us who run the club it’s great to watch a team playing such attractive, entertaining football all over the park typified by the fifth goal yesterday. We have some outstanding people here at Glantraeth under chairman Gareth Evans that work tremendously hard to raise funds to run a successful football club but it makes all that effort so worthwhile when we are playing this kind of winning football. However, it is important that we do not get carried away there is still a long way to go. As the saying goes, we ain’t won nothing yet, so lets aim to make the the second half of the season even more memorable than the first. (SS)

(05/11/11) The Glantraeth goal machine rolls on and another clean sheet to boot as they ran out 5-0 winners at third placed Greenfield this afternoon to make it 28 goals to 3 in the last five games. The visitors set about the Flintshire side from the off and could have been two or three goals ahead within the opening ten minutes as Anthony Hughes and Marc Evans were only inches off target then defender Karl Ainsworth saved the home side on 7 minutes as he cleared off the line when Marc Evans seemed certain to score then a great effort from Chris Evans curled agonisingly close with the keeper a spectator. After that hectic opening Glan went off the boil and Greenfield had a good twenty minute spell although the closest they came to scoring was on the half hour as Sam Watson was only inches away from converting a right wing cross. On 36 minutes the Anglesey side took the lead as good interplay between Chris Evans and Andy Clarke was rewarded as Evans floated the ball in from the left, the ball dipping over home keeper Sion Johnson, and five minutes later Karl Ainsworth handled in the area and Andy Clarke did well to convert the spot kick with Johnson racing forward yards off his line (picture below). Greenfield’s chances of rescuing anything from the game took a dive on 53 minutes as Sam Watson was dismissed for a second caution and six minutes later Glan went three up as James Saxon sent Marc Evans away down the right and his cross was headed home by Andy Clarke. Approaching the hour mark Anthony Hughes scored for the eighth successive game with a shot from just outside the area to send long serving club members reaching for the record books. It was now a case of how many Glantraeth would score as every attack threatened with Andy Clarke and Marc Evans both going close before a goal of sheer brilliance finished the scoring with Andy Clarke, Anthony Hughes and a superb reverse pass from Tim Adamkiewicz carving open the Greenfield defence for number 18 James Saxon (pictured top) to finish with a majestic shot into the top corner. It was a fitting end to the first half of the league season.

(04/11/11) Former Glantraeth striker Ian ‘Chops’ Pleming last night elected to sign for his local club Caernarfon Town. The 25 year old lives within spitting distance of the Oval and after Town secretary Geraint Jones contacted us on Tuesday regarding his availablity it seemed certain that would end up being his destination.

(03/11/11) Glantraeth defender Hugh Alan Jones who has not featured recently has today been released to join Llangefni Town. The 24 year old was a regular member of last season’s trophy winning side making 29 appearances in total and we thank him for his time with Glantraeth and wish him all the best with the Talwrn Road club.

(02/11/11) The Welsh Alliance have published the latest list of leading goalscorers based on league games only. Leading the way in Division Two is 17 year old Josh Davies of Llandyrnog United with 10 while our own Anthony Hughes is second on 9. Also included in the list are Andy Clarke (5), Marc Evans (5), Paul Rowlands (4) and former Glan striker Ian Pleming (4). Anthony Hughes is in his third spell at Glantraeth having also played here under managers Paul Whelan and Gareth Roberts. Like all good players Anthony could play in virtually any position and he has been in tremendous form for Glan this season and although he currently leads the way the good thing is that goals are coming from many different players which is the way it should be in a successful side.

Llandyrnog United
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Kinmel Bay Sports **
(01/11/11) Glantraeth travel to Greenfield on Saturday aiming to reach the halfway stage of the league season by winning another three points. It will be a tough one, the Flintshire club gave a good account of themselves last month at Trefdraeth despite being beaten. A 4-0 win at Connahs Quay Town last Saturday will have put them in a good frame of mind although they did beat Gaerwen by the same score immediately before the last meeting! Some of our football over the past month or so has been a joy to watch but we cannot afford to relax for a minute, now is the time to apply even more pressure on our title rivals. Results have been good but there is even more to come from this team. and it will need another fully focused performance if we are to continue our recent winning run. The squad is really strong all over the park now and Kev and Chris are in the fortunate position that they can make changes to the starting line-up without any noticeable effect on the team’s performance and still have players on the bench who can change a game. Bryn Roberts will miss the game due to holiday arrangements made before he joined Glantraeth. There is a coach going to the game leaving Malltraeth at 11.30 am and picking up at Asda, Llangefni (11.45 am), Stermat, Gaerwen (11.55 am) and Tesco, Bangor (12.10 pm). Don’t forget league games now kick-off at 2.00 pm. Match referee is Steve Hughes of Connahs Quay. All players to wear club tracksuits and polo shirts please.

(29/10/11) Early season league leaders Llanberis were outclassed at Trefdraeth this afternoon as Glantraeth ran out easy 7-0 winners with an outstanding display of attacking football despite the atrocious conditions. The home side took the lead in fortunate circumstances on seven minutes as Paul Rowlands’ cross from the right caused all kinds of problems with the ball eventually finding the net off Llanberis defender Nidian Huws (picture right) but there was no luck about the second 45 seconds later as Marc Evans drove past two defenders before beating keeper Louis Williams with a slide-rule finish just inside a post. The hapless visitors’ defence was getting a roasting even though Glan were playing against a near galeforce wind and Nidian Huws almost got a second own goal on 16 minutes as he sliced the ball against his own crossbar. Llanberis did have a sight of goal in the 28th minute as Ian Williams had a shooting chance but he pulled his effort well wide. Five minutes before the interval it was 3-0 with Marc Evans again the scorer after good work from Anthony Hughes. The visitors had their best spell of the game immediately after the break and a well struck volley from substitute Matthew Edwards brought a fine save from keeper Dave Clarke but it was short-lived and Glantraeth scored a fourth on 59 minutes as Paul Rowlands threaded a ball through to Anthony Hughes to score for the seventh successive game and two minutes later Andy Clarke just about wrapped up the three points with his seventh goal of the season. On 72 minutes Marc Evans completed his hat-trick (top picture) as he fastened on to a tremendous pass from Paul Rowlands and made finishing look easy. For Llanberis it was now damage limitation time and with five minutes remaining they had an incredible let-off as within a thirty second spell Marc Evans struck a post then the crossbar but with time almost up it was Chris Evans who was next on the scoresheet as he steamed in from the left and found the far corner of the net with a powerful low drive.

(28/10/11) Glantraeth have completed the signing of Tim Adamkiewicz from Holyhead Hotspur just before today's 5pm deadline and he goes straight into the squad for tomorrow's home game with Llanberis. A 20 year old midfielder born in Bangor Tim was highly rated at Hotspur but had failed to make the breakthrough into the first team squad. With a bit of luck Tim is pictured right having taken it from his Facebook page.

(27/10/11) Kinmel Bay Sports have lost their appeal to the FA of Wales against the deduction of three points for fielding an ineligible player against Penmaenmaer Phoenix on the opening day of the season. Kinmel Bay won that game 4-1 but in addition to the loss of points that game must now be replayed. The league table is now correct.

(25/10/11) On Saturday we entertain Llanberis at Trefdraeth. The Ffordd Padarn side have made a great start to the season and up until last Saturday were unbeaten only to suffer a shock 4-0 home defeat to lowly Nantlle Vale. Having recently won Division Two Manager of the Month Llanberis boss Terry Saynor (pictured) will be looking for a positive response from his side at the weekend after that setback so we will have to put in another good performance if we are to continue our winning run. The game kicks off at 2.30 pm and the match referee is Huw Jones of Amlwch, assistants Dafydd Davies & William Peel.

(25/10/11) We recently made a donation to a fund set up for young Morgan Jones of Llanfachraeth who has been having chemotherapy for the past five months at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool. We are delighted to have received a letter from Morgan's mother Jean telling us that the money raised has now paid for a 40 inch television and a Nintendo Wii games console that have recently been presented to the Dewi Children's Ward at Ysbyty Gwynedd. While Morgan will be closely monitored for the next five years Jean tells us that he is doing really well and we of course add our good wishes for his continued recovery. Morgan is pictured above with family and some of the staff on Dewi Ward following the presentation.

(24/10/11) Congratulations to one of our keenest supporters, Jamie Roberts, who has been selected to play for North Wales at Under 14 level. Liverpool fan Jamie is a talented young player who often helps out with the team's warm-ups on matchdays. He is presently with Bangor City Academy and also plays for Llanfair Hotshots but we have high hopes that he will sign for Glantraeth on his 16th birthday. In fact if he doesn't he faces being barred from the Joiners Arms' pool table!

(23/10/11) Glantraeth striker Ian ‘Chops’ Pleming has been released by mutual consent and is now free to join another club. Ian joined the club in June 2010 from Mountain Rangers FC where he had been leading scorer in the Caernarfon & District League and then went on last season to finish as the Gwynedd League’s top scorer. Glantraeth chairman Gareth Evans said: “Chops has given us some great goals during his sixteen months at Glantraeth. He is a powerful hard running striker who has always caused defenders problems and he has played a big part in the club’s successful return to football. I have always had a good relationship with Chops but after speaking with him yesterday we both felt it was the right time to part company. We wish him well and hope he soon gets fixed up with a new club.”

(23/10/11) Kinmel Bay Sports have appealed against a three point deduction for fielding an ineligible player against Penmaenmawr Phoenix on Saturday 13th August, a game they won 4-1. The appeal hearing is due to be held tomorrow evening.

(22/10/11) The winner in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw and the £500 Jackpot was Sonia Roberts of Bethel. The winning numbers were 14, 18 & 19. The next draw takes place on Saturday 12th November in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth when the Jackpot will again be £500.

(22/10/11) A 7-2 win but it was never quite as easy as it sounded against a much improved, much changed Connahs Quay Town but this Glantraeth side carries so much strike power that eventually the visitors were steamrollered into submission. New signing Marc Evans was almost off the mark after just four minutes as he was through on goal but Quay keeper Danny Roberts brought off a tremendous save to push the ball wide of the goal and the same player looked to have scored in the 19th minute as his goalbound shot struck Anthony Hughes standing virtually on the goalline. Evans did open his account on the half hour with a spectacular strike, Paul Rowlands getting on the end of a Bryn Roberts cross only to see his shot blocked but as the ball spun upwards the Glantraeth striker launched himself into the air to score with a brilliant overhead kick that the keeper hardly saw. The visitors were playing some good football and looked a useful outfit and drew level five minutes before the break as Phil Killa was first to a right wing cross from Carl Wilson. On the stroke of half-time Glan went back in front as Chris Roberts put Anthony Hughes away down the right and his cross was converted by Marc Evans. It was 3-1 ninety seconds after the restart Paul Rowlands cutting in from the left and finding the far corner and on 63 minutes it was four to the home side this time Marc Evans the provider leaving Paul Rowlands a simple tap-in. Andy Clarke was introduced from the bench and made an immediate impact as his cross from the left was finished by Anthony Hughes but the visitors refused to lie down and kept slogging away and got their reward on 70 minutes as Carl Wilson ran through the middle to score their second. Great play by Andy Clarke on 81 minutes put a goal on a plate for Chris Roberts’ first of the season then home keeper Dave Clarke had to go full length to keep out a good effort from Carl Wilson. With time almost up Marc Evans had the chance of a hat-trick as he was tripped in the area but the Quay keeper went full length to his left to save his spot kick. The goal action still wasn’t over as following the corner kick Andy Clarke fair slammed the ball into the roof of the net to complete the scoring.

(20/10/11) On Saturday we welcome Connahs Quay Town to Cae Glantraeth for what is only our third home league game of the season. We won 2-1 at Dock Road back in August in a game where we dominated the opening forty five minutes but a goal for the home side just after the break made for a closer second period and in the end we were perhaps a little fortunate to come away with all three points as Sam Williams scored the winner in the third minute of added time. Leagues are won or lost on such results where you really have to battle for what you can get out of a game. We will be looking to consolidate our league position with another good result this weekend and with Marc Evans added to the squad and Andy Clarke likely to have recovered from injury Kev and Chris will no doubt face one or two selection posers which is no bad thing. Kick-off is 2.30 pm and the match referee is Scott Longley of Meliden.

(18/10/11) Striker Marc ‘Loggs’ Evans has today signed for Glantraeth from Huws Gray Alliance side Porthmadog. The 21 year old came through the youth set-up at Bodedern before joining Holyhead Hotspur in the Cymru Alliance where he was a prolific goalscorer. Marc played Welsh Premier League football with Porthmadog and has also been with Llangefni Town and Gwalchmai. He has also played for Wales at schools and youth levels and is a great addition to the squad in our efforts to gain a further promotion this season. Marc is pictured above being welcomed to the club by Glantraeth joint manager Chris Roberts. Our thanks to Port manager Gareth Parry for releasing Marc before the full seven day's notice had been served.

(18/10/11) Midfielder Jamie Roberts has recently been installed as Glantraeth's club captain coinciding with the side moving to the top of the league. Just turned 24 Jamie has come on leaps and bounds since joining the club at the start of last season after being out of senior football for a couple of years and has excelled as a dominating centre midfield enforcer. Kieren Jeffreys is the vice-captain at only 18 and with Jamie's brother 26 year old Chris Roberts as manager in partnership with Kev O'Neill it proves that the club are only too willing to give youth its chance. As captain Jamie has an important role to play including ensuring onfield discipline which is so much a vital part of being a successful team.

(18/10/11) So far this season we have played twelve league and cup games with our ground at Trefdraeth standing relatively idle with only four of them at home but that all changes over the coming weeks with six of our next seven scheduled games at home. After the visit of Connahs Quay Town next Saturday we entertain Llanberis the week after and then visit Greenfield the first Saturday in November when kick-off times move forward to 2.00 pm. Nantlle Vale are the visitors on Saturday 12th November in the second round of the Mawddach Barritt Cup, that kicks-off at 1.45 pm, and the following weekend we entertain Amlwch Town in a league fixture. On Saturday 26th November it is the second round first leg of the Take Stock Van Hire Division Two Cup when Kinmel Bay Sports are our opponents. The fixtures page has been updated.

(16/10/11) Blaenau Ffestiniog are a long established club with a proud history having played in the English FA Cup in the 1970s, once taking Liverpool side Marine to three games before losing. Their ground is 900 feet above sea level which must make it one of, if not the highest, football grounds in Wales. On a day like yesterday with the sun shining Blaenau is a great place to visit with a really friendly welcome from long serving chairman Dafydd Hughes and his committee but winning a football match was the priority and we did it in style playing some excellent football and only for the woodwork and some fine saves from Blaenau keeper Geraint Hughes the win would have been even more emphatic. Two more goals for Anthony Hughes who is in a rich vein of scoring form although even he admitted he should have had a hat-trick. You couldn’t fault a player, every one of the squad contributing to a tremendous team performance although Kieren Jeffreys continues to amaze for an 18 year old such is his strength and composure on the ball in a demanding central defensive role. There was commitment everywhere in the side on Saturday and that’s what we need, we can’t afford to carry any passengers. So far we have played eight league games of which six have been away meaning that we only have five more to play away from home but with several players currently unavailable for one reason or another there is no room for complacency despite our league position and Kev and Chris are still looking to strengthen the squad and remain hopeful of a further signing before next Saturday.
More pictures of the game can now be viewed here (SS)

(15/10/11) Glantraeth moved into pole position in Welsh Alliance Division Two with a resounding 5-1 win over Blaenau Ffestiniog this afternoon at a sun-drenched Cae Clyd but it was the home side that started strongest, taking the lead on 7 minutes as a surging run from Kieron Ellis was rewarded as his driven cross was deflected into the net off the underside of the crossbar. Glantraeth began to take control and were back on level terms five minutes later as Jamie Roberts rose to powerfully head home a Paul Rowlands’ free kick and just past the quarter-hour mark the visitors took the lead, Jamie Roberts crossing for Bryn Roberts to flick the ball on to Anthony Hughes who brilliantly turned his marker before firing home (top picture). The Anglesey side were now well in command and playing some superb passing football and it took a tremendous save from home keeper Geraint Hughes to keep out a powerful shot from Paul Rowlands on 26 minutes. Glan went 3-1 up on 33 minutes as a great run and pass from Bryn Roberts released Anthony Hughes who cleverly dinked the ball over the advancing keeper for his tenth goal of the season and a minute later Bart Slezok got on the end of Bryn Roberts’ corner kick only to see his header come back off a post. Hughes again pulled off a tremendous save ten minutes before the break to keep out a well struck shot from Jamie Roberts. Glan took a little while to get back into their stride after the break but went further ahead after 68 minutes as Bryn Roberts drove the ball in from the right and the ball was deflected into the net for a fourth goal. Two minutes later Blaenau had a rare chance as Ellis broke clear but keeper Dave Clarke forced him wide and his shot was well off target. Bryn Roberts cut in from the left with nine minutes remaining and was unlucky as his shot struck an upright but a minute later he had better luck setting up the chance for Paul Rowlands to blast the ball home and put the seal on a convincing victory.

(11/10/11) With 24 goals scored next Saturday’s opponents Blaenau Ffestiniog are the highest scoring side in Welsh Alliance Two but unfortunately they have also conceded 24 making them the side with the second worst defensive record in the Division. With current leaders Llandyrnog United involved in the FAW Trophy we have the chance to catch up on one of our games in hand and a win at Cae Clyd would take us to the top of the league for the first time this season. Kick-off is 2.30 pm and the match referee is Gwilym Evans of Llanberis. There is a coach leaving Malltraeth at 11.45 am, picking up at Asda, Llangefni 12.00 noon, Stermat, Gaerwen 12.10 pm and Tesco, Bangor 12.15 pm.

(09/10/11) Fears that striker Andy Clarke had fractured an ankle during yesterday's game have proved unfounded. Andy was injured in a tackle by a Greenfield player but gamely carried on for the final half-hour even though he was clearly struggling. Limping badly after the game Andy feared the worst and decided to go to Ysbyty Gwynedd but x-rays have shown that there is no fracture although the ankle is sprained with some bruising.
Skipper Jamie Roberts celebrated his 24th birthday yesterday by leading the team to an excellent 4-0 win that leaves Glantraeth second in the league but in a position to go top if they win at Blaenau Ffestiniog next Saturday with most of the other top teams involved in the FAW Trophy.
Don't forget that training this week at Plas Arthur switches to Thursday nights between 8 and 9 pm.
Two goals for Anthony Hughes took his total to eight to lead the club's scoring chart just ahead of Ian Pleming with seven. The good thing is that the goals are really being spread around with the threat coming from all areas of the team.
Bryn Roberts is pictured left in relaxed mood after being substituted yesterday. Bryn has quickly fitted in and become a popular member of the club after joining from Holyhead Hotspur and at only just 21 is another of those young players at the club who will develop even further with regular Welsh Alliance football as the season progresses.

(08/10/11) There were two winners in tonight's 3 Number Lotto draw, Dawn & June of Malltraeth and Emily Turner of Gwalchmai who both won £500. The winning numbers were 2, 11 & 18. The next draw takes place on Saturday 22nd October in the Royal Oak, Malltraeth when the Jackpot will be £500.

(08/10/11) Glantraeth proved too strong for a Greenfield side who despite playing some excellent football and enjoying their fair share of possession struggled to break down a dominant home rearguard. The visitors started well and it was slightly against the run of play when Glan took the lead on 12 minutes after some good build up play as Paul Rowlands looping shot beat keeper Andy Hughes and found the net via a post. Five minutes later the Anglesey side scored a second as Anthony Hughes finished off another fine move with a tremendous strike from 25 yards. The nearest Greenfield came on 31 minutes as Mark Seaman broke clear down the right as Glan appealed for offside but he fired well wide. It was 3-0 on 56 minutes as Robbie Jones scored his first goal of the season, powerfully heading home a Bryn Roberrts’ corner kick from the right and Anthony Hughes was on target five minutes later, scoring his second from an acute angle after some great link up play between Andy Clarke and Bryn Roberts. With the game virtually wrapped up for the home side Greenfield had their best chances of the afternoon in the 72nd and 76th minutes as Lee Taylor and Mark Johnson both had headed chances in good positions but home keeper Dave Clarke dealt with them comfortably then only a point blank save from Hughes kept out an Andy Clarke effort with seven minutes remaining as Glantraeth finished strongly. Final score: Glantraeth 4 Greenfield 0.

(07/10/11) In the second round of the Take Stock Van Hire Division Two Cup Glantraeth have been drawn to meet Kinmel Bay Sports or Connahs Quay Town. Full draw:
Amlwch Town/Penmaenmawr v Gaerwen/Llanberis
Blaenau Ffestiniog v Halkyn Utd/Nantlle Vale
Glantraeth v Kinmel Bay/Connahs Quay Town
Greenfield v Llandyrnog Utd
The ties will be played over two legs with the first leg on Saturday 26th November.

(04/10/11) On Saturday we play only our second home league game of the season when Greenfield are the visitors. The Flintshire club’s 4-0 win over Gaerwen last weekend took them into third place, just above us on goal difference. Despite the disappointment of our Welsh Cup exit league results went quite well for us with Llandyrnog United and Kinmel Bay Sports both dropping two points in a 1-1 draw at Cae Nant and Amlwch Town ending Llanberis’s 100% record, that game also ending 1-1, so there is all to play for on Saturday. Kick-off is 2.30 pm and the match referee is Bryan Taylor.

(02/10/11) Vic Rigarlsford has kindly sent a link for some more photographs of yesterday's game taken with a Llanidloes Town bias for their Facebook page. They can be viewed here. He had a bigger zoom than me! (SS)

(02/10/11) The Welsh Alliance League Executive Committee have fined Kinmel Bay Sports FC £100 and deducted them three points for playing an unregistered player in the match against Penmaenmawr Phoenix on the 17th August and also ordered that the match shall be replayed on a date to be decided by the league. The league table has been updated in line with this three point deduction although the decision is subject to appeal.

(01/10/11) Played in near tropical conditions this Welsh Cup first round tie saw Glantraeth give a commanding first half performance to lead 3-1 at half-time, a scoreline that hardly flattered them after being clearly the better side but it all went quickly wrong after the break as Llanidloes scored twice in quick succession then got a late winner. The Anglesey side went ahead in the tenth minute as Andy Clarke put in a cross from the right that found James Saxon in the perfect position to coolly pick his spot and it got even better six minutes later with Bryn Roberts providing the pass for Anthony Hughes to slam a great shot past home keeper Aaron Warwick. Glan were playing the ball around in great style on the impressive Victoria Park pitch but got caught on the break on 28 minutes as Jamie Breese cut in from the right before expertly flighting the ball into the top corner and then Kieren Jeffreys made a tremendous blocking tackle as Llani sensed their chance to draw level. Ian Pleming was inches wide for Glantraeth on 36 minutes and a minute later an Andy Clarke header was scrambled against a post by Warwick who followed up with a brilliant flying save from a Bryn Roberts free kick. Glan were well on top and again came close to a goal four minutes before the break as an accurate cross from Anthony Hughes was met first time by Andy Clarke only for his shot to flash just the wrong side of the post but a well earned third did come on the stroke of half-time as Ian Pleming was left with a simple tap in after a bad mistake by the Llani keeper. All the good work was undone within seven minutes of the restart as Glan twice lost possession through poor passes when in good offensive positions and the home side took full advantage with Nefen Savage and Barry Bellis scoring within a minute of each other to bring the scores level. Glan responded immediately and were unlucky not to go back in front as Jamie Roberts created space for a shot only to see the ball come back off a post. Llanidloes were now much improved and far more of a threat but Andy Clarke again went close for the visitors on the hour mark as he flashed a shot wide following a deep ball in from Anthony Hughes. Both sides pushed for a winner with Anthony Hughes bringing a full length save form Warwick on 78 minutes but it was the home side who made the decisive breakthrough with eight minutes left, Karl Seliaerts picking the ball up in yards of space from a throw-in then moving forward unchallenged to rifle a shot past Dave Clarke. It was a great finish by the Llani player but a terrible goal to give away so late in the game. Final score: Llanidloes Town 4 Glantraeth 3.

(29/09/11) Ground improvements are continuing at Cae Glantraeth with the last of the tatty fencing being taken down at the far end and the ground now just about sheep-proof! Keeping the little b*ggers out has proved quite a challenge. The dugouts are in the process of being refurbished and early next year we plan to resurface the area between the changing rooms and the entrance to the playing area. Installing tip-up stand seats might have to wait 12 months. We have come a long way over the past couple of years with the ground undergoing a complete transformation and the team making a spectacular return to football. I took over as secretary in 2009 and I have been amazed at the hard work that goes into successfully raising funds for this club. Selling not far off a 1,000 club lottery tickets every fortnight is phenomenal for a village club but with agents scattered as far afield as Bethesda and Holyhead it requires superb organisation as well. The club have managed Mona Car Boot for over 26 years now and during that time we have raised thousands of pounds for St Johns’ Ambulance and in recent years the International Rescue & Search Dogs based near Penmaenmawr. We make regular donations to local charitable causes, the latest only this month being for a 12 year old Newborough boy suffering from leukaemia. We have a great little football club here at Glantraeth and much to be proud of. (SS)

(28/09/11) A coach will be leaving Malltraeth at 9.30 am for our trip down to Mid-Wales on Saturday. Pick ups will be Asda, Llangefni (9.45 am), Stermat, Gaerwen (9.55 am), Tesco, Bangor (10.00 am) and McDonalds, Caernarfon (10.15 am). Players and club officials are booked in for a light lunch at the Aleppo Merchant Inn, Carno (pictured) which is about 12 miles from Llanidloes. Coach fare for supporters is £5.

(27/09/11) Our Welsh Cup first round tie at Llanidloes Town on Saturday will see us in the role of underdogs with our opponents currently riding high in the top division of the Spar Mid-Wales League and challenging for promotion to the Huws Gray Alliance. We have met before when both clubs were members of the Cymru Alliance during 1997-98 season. The Powys club have an illustrious history having been founded as far back as 1875 and they were founder members of the League of Wales in 1992 as well as the Cymru Alliance in 1993 after being relegated. Known as the Daffs their Victoria Road ground is reported to have fine facilities and an excellent playing surface with an impressive stand and floodlights and once attracted a crowd of 3,000 for the visit of Swansea City in the Welsh Cup. We are described on their website as ‘Gwynedd League side Glantaeth’ (their spelling) so they will really be fancying their chances next Saturday which should give us all the motivation we need to put in a mighty performance. It will be a tough one but you can never write Glantraeth off as has been proved over the past couple of years! Match referee is M.J.Davies of Pontrhydfendigaid and the assistants are both from Aberystwyth.

(25/09/11) It’s doubtful if we could have been given a tougher start to the league season with five of our opening six fixtures away from home including visits to Kinmel Bay and Llandyrnog United. Certainly on what we have seen so far both those sides will be in the mix come next May but it is Llanberis who currently have the best record with five wins out of five although they are yet to meet any of the other leading clubs. We’re only in September but have almost played half of our away league fixtures and will have travelled just on 800 miles this season already by the time of next Saturday’s Welsh Cup at Llanidloes! Certainly the coach firm is delighted. It was an excellent win at Cae Nant on Saturday with Bryn Roberts making an impressive debut and Paul Rowlands (pictured) having his best game of the season in what was a tremendous team display. Not many teams will come away from there with all three points. Bryn’s debut was nearly delayed as I am told he was heading for Barmouth with Gwalchmai until he realised he was on the wrong coach at Holyhead! Even though we won it was a frustrating afternoon in many ways as the referee cautioned five of our players and one of theirs which just about summed up his even-handed control of the game. The three points leave us nicely poised in third place.(SS)

(25/09/11) Glantraeth have today released Gethyn ‘Skills’ Williams to join Bodedern Athletic. Gethyn has played in four games this season in central defence but was an unused substitute against Trearddur Bay United last week. We wish Gethyn all the best at Boded.

(25/09/11) There was no winner in last night's 3 Number Lotto draw so the Jackpot rolls over to £1,000. The winning numbers were 10, 11 & 18. The next draw takes place on Saturday 8th October in the Joiners Arms, Malltraeth.

(24/09/11) Glantraeth kept up their 100% away record with a well merited 2-1 win at leaders Llandyrnog United this afternoon. The Denbighshire side were not easily beaten, they play to their strengths, getting the ball forward quickly and know best just how to play the notorious Cae Nant slope but football-wise Glan were different class and again it could be said they should have won by more. Right from the off Glan were playing some excellent football with new signing Bryn Roberts showing up well but the first real test for either keeper came on 18 minutes as Paul Rowland’s powerful drive was confidently dealt with by home keeper Stuart Griffiths and the visitors came close to taking the lead five minutes later as a great cross from Anthony Hughes was headed just over by Andy Clarke. It took a good save from Glan keeper Dave Clarke to prevent Josh Davies opening the scoring as ‘Dyrnog made their presence felt and at the other end Andy Clarke’s well drilled shot was only just off target. The home side took the lead on 37 minutes, Daniel Roberts’ perfectly placed free kick finding the bottom corner. It was Glantraeth who were continuing to look the better side despite the scoreline with Andy Clarke having a shot saved at point blank range then Griffiths went full length to keep out an effort from James Saxon. Three minutes into the second half the Bodorgan side should have been level following a great move, Paul Rowlands swinging the ball in from the right to Andy Clarke who headed the ball back perfectly for Jamie Roberts who headed over when it looked easier to score. On 50 minutes it was Chris Evans’ turn to try his luck with a shot from 25 yards which the keeper did well to push over but two minutes later Glan’s pressure paid off as the impressive Paul Rowlands was denied a goal by the arm of defender Alex Ballard. The ball was already over the line but in an afternoon when Glan got few favours from referee Luke Allsop a penalty was given and Ballard was dismissed. Andy Clarke sent the keeper the wrong way with the spot kick (top picture). On 69 minutes Glantraeth went ahead as a ball in from Chris Evans caused all kinds of problems in the home defence and as the ball ran loose Anthony Hughes was first to react with a perfectly struck volley that gave the keeper no chance. ‘Dyrnog were not finished yet and some sloppy defending gave Josh Davies a shooting chance that brought a brilliant reflex save from Dave Clarke. Glantraeth pushed for a third with James Saxon, Anthony Hughes and Andy Clarke all going close but with the game in the sixth minute of added time Llandyrnog came near to pinching a point as Lucas Cruz headed against the crossbar.

(22/09/11) Bryn Roberts this evening signed for Glantraeth from Holyhead Hotspur. The 20 year old has been a regular member of Hotspur’s first team squad, the only club he has ever played for having come through their youth system. A skilful and industrious midfielder Bryn goes straight into the squad that travels to Llandyrnog on Saturday. He is pictured being welcomed on board by Glantraeth joint manager Kev O'Neill. Thanks to Hotspur secretary Dick Parry for his co-operation in effecting a smooth transfer.

(20/09/11) We have played some superb football this season but not always made it pay in finishing off the opposition, last Saturday against Trearddur Bay being a good case in point. We should have had the game put to bed before they were allowed to come back and snatch an unlikely victory late on. It was disappointing to lose but these things happen and it’s how you react which is important. Next Saturday we have the chance to put right what we perceive as an injustice when we travel to face current league leaders Llandyrnog United who beat us 2-0 at Cae Glantraeth despite being very much second best on the day. Kieren Jeffreys is unavailable but Chris Evans is expected to return to the squad. There is a coach going to the game leaving Malltraeth at 11.45 am, picking up at Asda, Llangefni (12.00 noon), Stermat, Gaerwen (12.10 pm) and One Stop (12.30 pm). Kick-off is 2.30 pm and the match referee is Luke Allsop of Deeside.

(17/09/11) A jubilant Trearddur Bay side won through to the second round of the FAW Trophy this afternoon with a 4-2 win over a shell-shocked Glantraeth. The visitors went ahead after just four minutes as Glan were caught square at the back for Ryan Jones to run on and score but seven minutes later the Bodorgan side pulled level as a tremendous pass from Kieren Jeffreys was instantly controlled by Paul Rowlands who sidestepped the keeper before planting the ball into the empty net. Glantraeth were well in control at this stage and went into the lead on 21 minutes as a fine passing move had the Bay defence all at sea and Anthony Hughes scored with a great finish and the same player was unlucky not to add another a minute before the break as the ball was cleared off the goal line. After early pressure from the home side Bay broke quickly for substitute Ian Williams to make it 2-2 on 57 minutes. Stung by this Glan upped the ante with Ian Pleming shooting inches over and it seemed to be curtains for the visitors on 64 minutes as Barry Haigh was red carded after appearing to aim a punch at Robbie Jones. The Bay goal was leading a charmed life at this stage with keeper Gareth Owen performing heroics but even he was beaten on the hour mark as Paul Rowlands struck a post and Pleming blasted over the rebound. The game changed dramatically as ex-Glantraeth player Gwyn Owen headed home from a right wing corner on 72 minutes and for the first time in the game it was Bay who now began to look the more likely winners and they made sure of victory in added time as Paul Muir was left in yards of space to apply the finishing touch and trigger wild scenes of celebration by the Gwynedd League club. There was no denying the quality of this Glantraeth side, they played some excellent football, enjoyed loads of possession but it’s goals that count and because of that they can have few quibbles about this defeat. Good luck to Trearddur Bay in the next round but now the focus switches to a positive response in the big league game at Llandyrnog next Saturday.

Previous News